“GREAT AGAIN! Excellent with kids too!”

Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is my second review of this hotel. I have ever only put up one other review on trip advisor as generally things are good but not exceptional. So now my only two reviews are for the same AMAZING hotel/castle! We stayed here for a week in July with our kids who this year were 5 and 3 (last time 4 and 2). Before arriving I made my special requests, same room as last year, and because I am always worried about the kids rolling off the beds, I asked for mattresses on the floor. Well when we arrived, everyone knew who we were and gave the nicest welcome back to our kids and us. Our daughter said "Wow Mommy they really missed me here". Obviously someone is prepping for guests extremely well! We had sparkling wine and apple juice upon check in. The room was as requested and we could not have been more delighted to be back. Even at full capacity, everyone treated us as if we were the only guests at the hotel. And at full capacity the hotel did not seem full. Pool area and lake area was not crowded. You can read my last review, this hotel is just gorgeous. But what really makes it special for us are the people making us feel like we are so welcome (and with children). The valet played peek a boo with the kids while we got them secure in their seats. The guest services manager took the kids on a stuffed animal shopping trip to find the perfect one for each of them to sleep with. The reception and concierge commented on their new Dirndl and lederhosen, which of course made the kids feel special. When we wanted to take family photos, at least 3 separate employees stopped to ask if we wanted them to take it for us. Yes, this is a very upscale hotel and attracts many older clientele so you won't see kids running around like at a Disney resort. But we never felt out of place. We are the type of parents who remove a crying toddler from a restaurant (which we did have to do) so we do try and be respectful of other patrons experience. We would do that anywhere. Despite traveling a lot, we have never had such a nice experience at a finer hotel as a family. We have been to some pretty remarkable places, but Schloss Fuschl is really our top choice. IF you can get there without kids, lucky you. I just have to add, the only drawback to this hotel is some of their clientele. We are always teaching our kids manners and to treat people kindly and be thankful and respectful. It would be nice of the grown up guests (and if you are reading this I hope you know who you are) would use better manners. We witnessed some pretty brutal treatment of the valet parkers by some other hotel guests. Being financially wealthy does not entitle you to treat people poorly. It only makes you look like a jerk.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank jodif

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

This jaunt through nearly six weeks in several European countries has taken me to hotels in the Spg luxury collection.
I travel quite extensively every year about three to four months.
On this trip I have stayed at the Imperial in Vienna, Marriott Budapest, Danieli in Venice, Westin Excelsior in Rome to name a few! So quite high caliber luxury hotels.
Schloss Fuschl is by far the most refined elegant and sophisticated hotel I have stayed at to this point in my life! What a true pleasure to stay here for all eight of us!
From the welcome upon arrival to the beautiful suites and scenic location! Top service in every department!
Fine linens and china in the restaurants. Probably the best breakfast I have ever experienced!
The closest comparison to another hotel would be Chateau Lake Louise in Canada. But chateau lake Louise is still very touristy where as this is the fine old world charm and class! Very refined! Probably one of Europe's finest! Some Austrians actually told me it is Austria's best which wouldn't surprise me!
I told my relatives which I had invited that I hope to make a regular visit to Schloss Fuschl!
To those visiting Austria, find a way to make this one of your stops! It is fifteen minutes from Saltzburg but the setting and experience make it Austria's finest and I have no doubt you will agree!
My only complaint is that my fixed schedule only allowed me two nights! I could easily have stayed a week or more!
Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We spent the last part of our trip to Eastern Europe at the Schloss Fuschl in an attempt to relax after 12 days of sightseeing. In celebration of our anniversary, my husband and I were upgraded to a lakeside cottage. These accommodations were beyond our wildest expectations. The two-story villa on the lake, and the services at this fantastic property were not to be believed. With extensive views of the magnificent lake, even the rain could not dampen our spirits.Norbert, the wonderful concierge, helped us plan our stay with a day in Salzburg and some exploration of the local lake region. We visited the salt mine in Halstatt and the villages of St. Wolfgang and Mondsee. The spa at the Fushcl was also a wonderful plus. The serene pool area, with its heated tile benches and lounges overlooking the lake, created a peaceful area for us to relax. My massage in the spa was absolutely one of the best I have had. Overall, this is a fantastic property from the beautiful location to the people who work there. I only hope I have the opportunity to visit again!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

From the moment we drove off the A1 into the hills east of Salzburg, we knew that this would be a magical weekend. My wife had joined me for the first half of a 2-week stay in Munich, and I surprised her with a trip to Schloss Fuschl for the weekend (Thurs & Fri night). As we approached the property, we were stunned by the beautiful blue-green hue of lake (Fuschlsee), the strangely hanging mist in the surrounding mountains, and the fairytale-like castle and hotel perched perfectly on the shore.

When we arrived, the bellman greeted us, offered to park our car (complimentary valet parking), and took charge of our luggage. The reception desk offered complimentary Austrian champagne, and check-in was seated rather than at a check-in desk. Karina, the check-in agent, was very friendly and explained the restaurants and activities to us.

The bellman escorted us to our room. I had noticed beforehand that our reservation had been upgraded from the basic room to a Junior Suite (I am SPG platinum). Considering it was a cash-and-points stay (8000 points + 117 euro/night), and considering the basic rooms were otherwise going for 550 euro/night, the stay was excellent value. The room itself was very well-appointed. At first, when we were directed downstairs from the ground level (to level -1), I was concerned that we would be in the dungeon! However, when we got to the room, we found that our windows opened onto the lake! It was perfect. The suite had a nice sitting area and plenty of space to move around. The amenities (White River Falls) were good quality, and the minibar was stocked with 2 beers, 2 sodas, some juice, and several bottles of water - all complimentary.

We decided to have dinner up the street at the Sheraton. Without asking, we were offered a ride in the Schloss Fuschl's house Mercedes there and back. Back at the hotel, we decided to go to the Schlossbar at around 12:30. I asked when they closed ("bis wann haben Sie öffnen?" - a very useful phrase to learn!) and was told they were open as long as guests were there. A young Albanian named Mentor was manning the bar and was more than happy to stay there with us until 1:30 or so when we left. (Actually, he would have stayed there all night I suppose, but I did not want to impose). He was new to the property, but has been bartending for a while and was a pleasure to talk with. My wife enjoyed all of the several cocktails he made both that night and the following night when we returned. The "Fuschl lime" is worth trying.

Breakfast was outstanding. Smoked salmon, meats, cheeses, excellent yogurts, Austrian champagne, cooked to order omelets (try the one with shrimp, and put some of the soft cheese inside of it), cappuccino, etc. Normally, I think it is $30ish per person, but it was included in our rate as platinum guests. Do not miss! The view from the breakfast room is also perfect.

We both received spa treatments, which were well-done, although perhaps the staff there did not speak as much English as I might expect. I certainly don't expect everyone at an Austrian property to speak English, but for whatever reason I have a greater expectation of fluency from a masseuse. That said, the actual massage was very good, and the spa facilities are beautiful. One could easily spend all day there watching the mist in the mountains, with a book in hand.

I could write more, but I think I've made the case. Stop what you're doing, hop on a plane, and come here. If you leave - which, sadly, you likely must - you will find yourself, like me, figuring out how and when you can return. I will end by saying this - even though there were others there (as evidenced by the full tables at breakfast) - my wife and I felt the entire time as though we actually were in our own fairytale castle. For a few short days, there was no one else there, and nothing else mattered. Thank you for an excellent stay, Schloss Fuschl.

3  Thank dcmetroLSATprep
Reviewed July 16, 2012

As an SPG Platinum member, I travel often both for work and vacation. As such, I have certain expectations when I book a category 6 hotel, and honestly, more often than not, I am disappointed on some level. Not at the Schloss Fuschl property outside of Salzburg - it is terrific!

First of all, the location: Out of the city of Salzburg and thank goodness! With a picturesque location on the lake, it is peaceful while very accessible by car to many many cities. A multitude of dinner options within 15 min are available, BUT you will need a car and a driver who doesn't plan to indulge in too much of the local beer/wine/schnapps. We enjoyed the small towns much more than the touristy Salzburg scene.

Hotel Quality: Excellent. You know how there are a lot of fancy hotels that get a little tired after a few years? You start to notice scuffs on the walls, worn carpet, and areas that aren't so new looking anymore? (example Hotel Imperial in Vienna) NOT HERE at Schloss Fuschl! Everything felt extremely clean, very fresh, and extremely well kept.

Service: Super friendly. From the reception to the concierge to the valet, everyone was attentive, polite, friendly, and happy to help with anything. We never had to wait for even a second for our car to be pulled out of the garage nor did we wish for anything additional with regard to service.

SPG Platinum benefits: Free breakfast was over the top. The selection, service, and view is unparalleled and undoubtedly the best we have ever had to start each day. Free internet of course. Also we were upgraded to a Jr Suite with (partial) lake view which was quiet and lovely. Finally, I emailed them ahead of time and they pulled through a couple of special touches that were completely unexpected.

Other: Mini-bar is free and is restocked daily which is a plus. The Spa is seriously wonderful and we used it daily.

Of all of the hotels we have stayed, this ranks very near the top of our list!

2  Thank baygirlSanFrancisco
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for weekend during public holidays 3rd October and we had fabulous time there. Everything passed together. Brilliant weather conditions > 20 degrees, "Indian summer", it was possible even swim in the lake and best hotel services make this weekend unforgettable. There was no one reason to complain on something.

We've got warm welcome and personal introducing to the room with explanation of all hotel amenities. Nice room had beautiful view on castle and lake, quality of the sleep was extended by the fact that before we went back from dinner, our beds were made for ready sleeping. We also enjoyed Spa were you can also use sauna and then rest on open air. Everything was highest level, clean and in best shape.

Staff in reception and everywhere very friendly and always smiling.

We can recommend it as best romantic get away. Just check the weather when you plan to go. Good weather can pimp your stay as enjoying nice nature and pure luxurious hotel is unforgettable.

Room Tip: Pick a room with lake view if possible.