we went on a ski holiday to the Palace hotel in Mid March 2012. This hotel is a little out of the main centre of Bad Hofgastein, but only a 5 minute walk away. There is a beautiful park opposite the hotel to the front, and a backdrop of mountains. The main ski lifts are a 10 minute walk away from the hotel - there is a bus stop outside if you have your ski's / boots with you and dont want to walk, but the bus takes as long as the walk, and it is a pleaseant walk through the park, so if you are equipment free, its a great start to the day. There are lockers available at the ski hire shop next to the funicular station for 15 euros per week. from this funicaluar you can then take the cable car and ski the Bad Hofgastein region, and link to the Gastein region. There are 2 other ski regions, Dorfgastein which is a 15 minute bus ride away - good skiing and worth the trip (bus station next to funicular station) or Sportgastein which is a 40 minute bus ride (we did not go here as there is not a huge amount of piste for such a long journey). There is plenty of ski piste for a week for intermediate to advance level - although not a lot of challenging blacks if you are very good. I would not recommend this resort for beginners, as the beginner pistes are very limited, and some of the blues are steep, and most are narrow winding tracks down the side of the mountain - not much fun. for intermediates this region is great, and there are some real challenges, with great lift system and very little queuing (twice we queued for 5 mins in the whole week). The hotel has loads of facilities including ski lockers, tennis courts (but these are 10 euro per hour), swimming pool and jacuzzi, spa - which is great with loads of rooms/showers/relaxation areas (this is naked area - but as we did, you can wear a towel - just be prepared that no-one else does!) We had selected a standard/small room, and this was adequate for what we wanted, very comfortable and clean with everything we could need, our balcony overlooked the car park but we were never in the room in daylight anyway. The food in the hotel was great - much better than expected - as it was buffet style. there were choices of soup, starter selections, salad bar, choice of 3 main courses (2 meat and one fish) plus vegetables / potatoes etc, and a huge choice of desserts inc cheeses. breakfast had a large range of optios inc cooked such as sausages, but also cold meats, cereal, juices, fruits, breads, toast etc. A nice touch was that the beers / wine / soft drinks / water were free with your evening meal - help yourself style taps so no waiting for the waiter to reach you. there was entertainment every eveining in the bar, and a nice cosy lounge with fire. you can only get free wifi in the lounge, and in the reading area at the top of the stairs on the first floor. The maid service was great, and staff were friendly and helpful. The town itself is nice to walk aorund, with a number of shops - although due to the gorgeous food at the Palace we never ventured far from the hotel other than to the slopes. We did try the Alpenthereme spa in town which was 17 euro for 2 hours - it is nice, and very big, with pools, spas etc - but just a newer larger version of what was available in the hotel. We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel, and would definately recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carefree holiday spending guests in the cosy center of Bad Hofgastein. The 4 star hotel Palace is a relaxing house for everyone. Surrounded by a huge garden with a park on 30.000m² . The sun terrace, walking paths and a small pond invite to enjoying . The nice comfortable rooms have all a balcony and panoramic view. A conference room is available. Mountain Station, the great therme Alpentherme and the shopping area - everything is within walking distance. In panoramic indoor pool guests can relax in the healing Gastein thermal water. Even a beauty farm and a renowned Health Center, the Palace to call his own. When in the evening the migrants return from their tours, the spa guests are completely relaxed, the golfers have packed their bags and the families come fully fueled with experience in the hotel's restaurant, everyone like the international buffet. An interesting detail: The table drinks are for all meals - from breakfast and brunch to dinner - included. Some days in the week live music seduced to a goodnight drink at the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Johannesbad Hotel Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kur- And Sport-Hotel Palace
- Kur Sport Hotel Palace
- Johannesbad Hotel Palace Bad Hofgastein, Austria - Salzburg Region