“Oh dear - what a shame....”

Paradee Resort & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Ko Samet
London
“Oh dear - what a shame....”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Well, it all started so well - seamless pick up at the airport, smart transport, efficient check in landside, chilled welcome drinks, speedboat ready to go.... and then we got to the Paradee. Which is in a beautiful setting as the other reviews say - a lovely white beach, bathwater warm turquoise sea, quiet setting etc etc. We'd booked this as a treat-y 3 days at the end of 2 weeks travelling round Cambodia & Laos, and it just didn't live up to our hopes.

What was disappointing was that it wasn't just one thing or two things that were off - any place has its glitches - but the service at the Paradee was so patchy that it became a greater and greater issue as the 3 days passed and the list of 'just not good enoughs' sadly grew. None of the hitches was huge in its own right and we asked ourselves if we were just being picky, so I'll detail some out and you can call on whether they'd spoil your holiday enough to consider a different resort.

Firstly - while our room was lovely, spacious, mostly clean and nicely private, the walkways leading there hadn't been cleaned for some time - there was fruit splattered across the walkway, up the walls, plus leaves, tree debris etc - of course this is just nature doing its thing, but other places keep public areas tidy, as part of their overall quality standards - the Paradee does not. The shared pool (we were in the Garden Villas) was not cleaned each day, so was full of leaves, and our walk to the main hotel area took us past the hotel bins and general detritus, left on full show (when they could pull a gate across to screen it).

Apart from in the restaurant (very nice, thank you to all there), the pool / beach service was non-existent: apparently there were fresh fruit kebabs and small ice creams handed out daily but in 3 days we saw none of these - the staff did not give any to guests on the beach, just by the pool. Really inconsistant and a shame as it was a nice touch - and there were only about 25 guests in total staying there, so the service should have felt a lot more personal. Nor was any pool/beach drinks service offered - crazy when its a good source of revenue for them, but once your ice bucket with two bottles of water (again, nice) was delivered, there was no other service to be had. Each day we went to get our own towels - one day having to root through bin bags to get some clean ones - and lay these out - as did some guests, while others timed it 'right' and had this done for them.

We also had to ask for the pool area to be cleared - all 6 tables had empty glasses and plates piled up, plus used towels - and no-one had the task of keeping it clean (mad, when the pool/beach is the only area guests are all day!)

Another good idea was the (free) afternoon tea... but on day 1 it took 3 frustrating phone calls and an hour to arrive, as we waited in the sun by our villa. We were expected to 'know the drill' (ie nominate which type of tea you want) - but weren;t asked and the nice touch became a total palaver.

And while the resort obviously would prefer to keep guests on site, it does somewhat take the doodah when they charge £60 for a boat to take you anywhere. Its reasonable for a half day trip but not just to go out! Way over the odds for the area. And the beach sports are also limited - only kayaks and snorkels/masks are inclusive - the 3 catamarans therefore sat unused, and the day we tried to take one out as we were a little in need of an activity, the boatman dissuaded us (we suspected as he couldn't be bothered to rig the sails).

Add in the dirty glasses left in our room, the mosquito candles that weren't replenished, the broken phone, the toilet that took three visits to mend... you can see the picture. And finally our checkout turned into a total shambles - 50 minutes of them over charging us for a spa treatment we'd not had, and a blooming Toblerone of all things. What rankled was that they did not take our word for the spa treatment (I hadn't even been in there) - nor when I showed my signature on my credit card didn't match the one on the spa form. Only when the spa lady was dragged out to check my face, did they agree to take off the payment, not impressive. They couldn't refund the over-payment, we ended up baking hot (there's no aircon in reception nor the dining areas by the way!) and the experience ended on a sour note.

As I said - nothing in its own right was a deal-breaker, but to have all this happen in 3 days.... unforgiveable in a resort in this price band. A real shame.....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ScottyHawkes
ParadeeResort, Guest Relations Manager at Paradee Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Dear ScottyHawkes,

I am terrible sorry that you did not experience the "Sixth Heaven" here at Paradee. I am shocked by some of your comments and wish to address each one in an email. When the time is convenient for you, please send me an email to gsm@paradeeresort.com so that I can address your comments.

Regards,
Jesse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We stayed here with our 3 kids (10,8,and 6) for 4 nights after our trip toVietnam and Cambodia. We booked two beachfront Villas and had a really fabulous time. We were looking for something that was a bit more authentic not one of the "6 star spa resorts" and we found it. It was really relaxing and days were spent swimming on the beach, villa pool, big pool and snorkelling and fish feeding. At night we would get room service in our room. totally realxing !!! and kids loved it. Gym was also well equipped and had a great view.

Sunset drinks were a real treat

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank woodsie2
Glasgow
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Fantastic resort for relaxing, reading and spending time in the sun. Could not fault the accomodation, restaurant and will def be back! Only thing I would change would be to ask for a Villa where the sun shines on the plunge pool as it can be cold. But then you always have the warm sea to enjoy I guess.

It is expensive but look for specials at certain times of the year.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 10, 2009

The name says it all. Paradee is a small paradise of it's own. Own swimming pool with the view on the beach, we went there with our 2 daughters aged 6 and 8 and stayed together in thise ressort for 5 days. Of course, it's not really children friendly (and does not pretend to) but would rather be for honeymooners. There, you will not see the other guests and will have the feeling to be completely isolated. You can stay in your room for the entire stay, I can assure you you would not be bored. Service is good and always done with a smile.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
BKK, Thailand
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have been to Paradee resort myself 2 times before with my friends and I visited here with my boyfriend this time. The hotel is still kept in a very good maintenance. As per my experiences with many different hotel in Thailand from North to South Area of the country, I could say that Paradee is one of the top three. The hotel is located in the most beautiful beach of Samed Island which was fishing village in the past until the developer has arrived and turn this place into heaven. (For those who may not know, paradee is the name of one part in Heaven according to the Thai fairy tails). The water on the beach is probably cleanest and clear as it is located in the south of the Island and also there is not so many tourist come to this area as it is quite remote (in term of logistics & Transportation).

The Hotel decoration & lay out is one of the best which you might find similar comments from other review. You will feel very relaxing.... and If you have limited budget that force you to effort the garden villa only but you still prefer to have some private pool nearby, please consider to book room 3, 4, 5 or 6 because there is a smaller pool in that compound. This time, I was lucky that hotel staff has booked me for room no. 3, so I can enjoy that pool like it is my own pool... no other people at all and I feel that I stay at pool villa.... 5555

The service is also one of the most distinguish when you compare to other hotels which charge similar price in other area in Thailand. The staff are well-trained with high level of service-minded and accommodating. They can always come up with solutions very quick (if your request does make sense). When you walk around this hotel, you will never find any staff without smiling... and welcoming you. This place really make you feel well treated. This 3rd time of my visit, I had a problem not with the hotel or the service, but with other guests who come to stay in the same compound. Luckily I was staying there 2 days before and I have been pretty relax, so I don't feel much angry... but believe me if I checked in the same day with them.... I would have immediately left the place and change to some where else... or quick out those annoy guests. There are in total 8 adults with 6 kids ... don't want to mentioned their nationality as I don't want you to feel that I look down at other people.... but really this people just shouting and shouting for anything. Even when they talked among themselves, I always felt that they were fighting. Their manners are pretty bad. They had destroyed my vacation (which I hope I could escape from hectic work & life in BKK).... I requested the hotel staff to contact them and raise this issue after I tried to calm down for half day. The hotel staff was very nice and they did action right away and they even prepared other villa.... just in case I might not able to sleep during the night. They asked if I wanted to move, but I finally informed them that I will try... if I can't stand, I will move. Fortunately, their mounts were shut when they sleep, other wise I would have to run away in the middle of the night!

The next day, I met Hotel GM and he kept apologize me of what happen... which I told him that I totally understand the situation and in fact I was very impressed the way his staff handle this case. Later, I learnt from him that this group of people is not only annoying me.... they annoyed every hotel guests in every where... It was just my bad luck to meet this people in the resort that suppose to be quite with high tranquility & private. It seems that the hotel was not aware that there are kids of age 11-16 years old coming together with their parents. The kids also throwing things and garbage into the sea (I wonder which school they are going) and even more surprise that their parents saying nothing. Also when they come to swimming pool, people suppose to wear swimming suit and clean their body from the sand first. It doesn't apply to them, as they just jump into the pool with full dress.... and staff has to tell them to leave and clean the pool.... Poor staff. Beside the annoying neighbors, I have great time in Paradee. The hotels told me that they will make sure that it will not happen again and actually the hotel is decided for honeymooner - not for a big family reunion (you still can come if you care about other people privacy).

The food there is pretty good, but if you asked me.... I think my previous visit was better (the first time was 2 1/2 years ago and the second time was 1 1/2 years ago while this time was during 25-27 Sep 09). I checked with hotel staff and I learnt that they change chef which then effect to the menu. The European food was good... and price a bit high.. but if you think it is western, then you can pay it. How ever, I would not recommend you to take thai food as I think the taste is just okay but the price is extremely expensive. I personally feel very disappointed for the Duck Curry as it costs around 400 THB, but it taste bad... You can find the same thing better at the Seri pier or any thai restaurant in bangkok. Seabass Bar-B-Q Thai style is so-so.... You can say that I was not really happy for the a la carte, but breakfast is still very awesome (though they change fruits from some exotic fruits like Mango, Passion Fruits, Mangosteen, and Pamelo to be normal fruits like Papaya, Bananas and Pine Apple). The choice of Bakery is less than in the past, but still very good when you compare with other hotels same standard in BKK.

If you come, I would suggest you to go to have a welcome drink at the sunset bar... it is very lovely, especially if you come during Jan - Feb... I think the weather is good and you can see the Sun bigger than other season. ( I have been here in May, Sep and Feb).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelpath
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Great hotel - a quiet place at the end of the world :-)
Lovely villas with high-quality interior, excellent service!
Big pool...fantastic and just right to relax and enjoy a few days in paradise.
Superb, clean beach.
I missed the somewhat "environmental" factor, e.g. you get snorkelling equipment but noone tells you what you may do and what not (save the coral reefs!).
The rest of the island is not as nice as this resort. The other beaches are not as clean and tidy ...
This resort is ideal for couples on their honeymoon. There are very few children and everything is quiet and relaxed.
The prices at the Sunset bar and restaurant are very "European", so if you want a low-priced quality menu, you will have to go North of Koh Samet. The same applies to the Spa area which appears impeccable but rather high-priced...We then opted for the Thai massage in the North half of the island.
But, all in all, we spent perfect holidays there!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple