“Avoid AT ALL COSTS”
Review of Silver Sand Resort

and 1 more site!
Silver Sand Resort
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My god I have been to some dives before and put up with some shocking service but when it comes to being moronic or lazy Silver Sands collects the gold medal at being rubbish. I'd been to silver sands 5 years previously and, based on good will, ate here four times this week. Each time I told myself the service so terrible it must be a one off but each successive time they dug to new depths of ineptitude. The staff are a) forget what food you ordered b) forget to ask what you want c) kick stray dogs across the room d) forget to cook your food and serve you raw, uncooked meat.

And do they apologise or have any graces? Hell no. They're RUDE.

I hate Silver Sands. HATE HATE. When they served us with raw burgers, after an hour of waiting, they suggested we pay for the chips and leave.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Stealthcow2

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights recently. Had 2 room options when we arrived, 1500thb or 2500thb. I went for the cheaper option this time having stayed in the more expensive (and newer) option before. No doubt the more expensive room is nicer although this one for the money is not too bad. Hot shower, air, cable tv, fridge and safety box etc all included. This room was closer to the bar/club so loud music until 3am. I was normally out until about then anyway however familys, elder people should take note. FULL of Russians who, in my opinion are a pretty surly, rude bunch. Early evening they laid out mats, cushions & tables etc on the beach.....food here wasn't bad and there are plenty of options, even a fast food stand and another for cheap noodle dishes much like street food in bkk. Right on a nice stretch of beach and plenty of sunbeds if you can bag one early enough. Unfortunately some staff are not the best, unattentive (spent more time checking their phones) and gererally disinterested. Resort seems popular with same-sex couples which may put some people off. Generally it's not a bad option, however i'm sure there are better.

Room Tip: If you want to make an early start to the day best stay in a room far from the bar/disco
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were invited along with some friends who had already booked at an adjoining property, which had no availability. I phoned Silver Sands (as the website is poor and they do not respond to contact from there) and they offered me a room for 2500 Baht (High Season). The brochure at the resort says between 2,000 and 2,800. They also offer family rooms, which cost a little more.

The resort is right on the beach and we accessed it from the mainland by speeedboat, 3,600 Baht return. The boat out was exclusive and we arrived right in front of the hotel within 20 minutes. You can opt for the local ferry, much cheaper and slower and it drops you off at the pier, so you end up getting a local bus to the resort.

Staffing on the Island is obviously a problem and as everyone has mentioned the service in the restaurant is slow and poor. The bar staff on the other hand obviously enjoy the job and serve you with a smile. Check in was fine, you get a voucher for breakfast, remember to ask for a sunbed voucher, otherwise the beach staff will charge you 60 Baht. The hotel has excellent wifi which works in the rooms and on the beach.

We were located in D301, which is a new building, but up on the 3rd floor, god I am so unfit. The room was clean enough and although basic had everything we needed. TV (never turned it on) Fridge, walk in shower and toilet. We had no hot water issues,unlike some others have commented. I don't think that I would like to stay here for a long period but for a long weekend it would be fine.

This resort is all about the location and for that and the standard of room I would rate it highly.

There are too many dogs, owned by the hotel I think, which make a mess of the beach and seem to sleep under the restaurant decking. They do ask you to vacate the loungers at 5pm, so they can set up the night arrangements, which is a little early. The breakfast is...adequate...just, the European food was just okay, with the Thai food being slightly better. At check out there was no one at reception, so we just left our key and went to the beach.

Our speedboat back was a disappointment, They had asked us to give them 2 hours notice, which we did. On asking for a 4.30 departure they advised that slot was already booked but we could get 4pm, which we accepted. The speedboat eventually arrived at 4.25 (hot standing on the beach dressed) and already had 2 people on it, then our party of 7, along with another 5 people got on. It then went to the next bay,where we loaded on another 7 people. This was greed on the operators part. The journey back took much longer given that the 200HP engine could not make the boat plane. I would suggest of there is a group of you, just book one way and negotiate a return trip directly with a boat there.

Room Tip: Our room D301 was fine, no noise issues, but you have too use the stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel has a good location right on the beach. The rooms are good and clean. I am staying here right now, there is very little hot water in the shower. The service is horrible, the people working in the hotel restaurant and reception are totally uninterested and never smile. The breakfast is very simple not much to choose from, havent eaten in the restaurant because i think it looks unclean.
But must say the rooms are over my expectations. So if you want to live clean and good and close to the beach this is a good choice.
There is no pool

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have been here in mid of december for 1 week.
The rooms are really excellent/5 star character in Design-Look, quiet if you are enough far from the Disco. Stuff is nice, but....we got better service in other hotels in Thailand.
Food: good for reasonable prices.
Beach of Silversands: too full with beachchairs....like in Arenal or Rimini - terrible. But: walk to other beaches which are closeby - less people. Beaches are clean, nice for swimming.
For smokers: take enough from 7/11.....in all restaurants you pay 50 % more.
From Rayong only take 1 way for the speedboat to Koh Samed, if you buy the returnticket on Koh Samed: 50 % cheaper. Ferry seems to be cheaper, but: togther with overprized taxis to your hotel, entrance fee for the island....the speedboat costs only 15-20 % more and is much, much more conveniant and faster!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dietmar J
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here with my Fiance and our son as well as a few friends. We stayed during the week on a Thursday during low season. The room was 1500baht total including breakfast (its 2500 on a weekend). The hotel did not charge extra for a small cot for our son which was good. After a tip from a friend we asked for a room in the new buildings. The room was nice and good value considering its about 1minute walk from the beach. The location is excellent and the beach beautiful. Thai food was good but European food was very poor.... thats the good points. Now for the downside.
As mentioned in all of the other reviews, the service is absolutely terrible. There is not one member of staff smiling and if you ask them to do anything you get the feeling that you are causing them major trouble. If you sit in the restaurant there are several stray and dirty dogs running around and sitting at the table waiting for you to throw scraps to them. The staff make no effort at all to keep them out or chase them from the table whilst you are eating. The beach outside is beautiful, however, at around 4:30pm you start to get harrassed by staff members to leave your sunbed by 5pm so that they can setup the BBQ. At breakfast I wanted some fresh eggs cooked by the lady on the egg station. She kept pointing at the eggs which were sitting on a tray at the side, already cooked, and looking like they had been there for about 30mins. She insisted they were fresh... no way. I refused to take them and pushed that she make some more, much to her annoyance. I had the same problem with the toast. She was muttering something in Cambodian or Burmese to her colleague which was obviously about me whilst she cooked the fresh eggs.
Its such a shame because this resort has the potential to be excellent. Good manners, politeness, service and a smile would have made me rate this as a 5 instead of 2 for the price. Considering that these people skills cost nothing I cant believe that the owners havent fixed it. FYI the owner / boss actually lives on the resort in a house to the right of the reception... they obviously dont care about what they have because they just appeared to lie on the sofa all day without coming out and making the guests feel welcome.
Lucklily I was with a good set of friends and this more than made up for the lack of customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new buildings
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Reni_Jarra_Lad
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Although the location on the beach is nice the waiters seem very young and disinterested. A dog went into the kitchen. I saw a friend of a worker smoking there. A waitress was scratching her head with a vengence while carrying a meal out with the other. My crab salad came with a crab the size of a dessert spoon. I would have preferred canned meat as these were purely cosmetic.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo