“It used to be great, but not anymore.”
Review of Baywatch

Baywatch
Ranked #17 of 35 Restaurants in Ko Samet
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Thai
Basrah Province, Iraq
“It used to be great, but not anymore.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I decided to write this review because Baywatch is mentioned in many reviews of Koh Samet as the best place to go on Ao Wong Deuan Beach. There was a time when that was true, but not anymore.

I'd been to Baywatch last year and found it to be a really nice bar, with great, friendly staff and with arguably some of the best steaks in south east asia, let alone Thailand. It also did really good seafood as well as great Thai dishes.

The people whom I had been there with last year and I pitched up for a reunion, looking forward to a repeat of the great nights and great food that we'd enjoyed immensely on our last visit, only to be severely disappointed.

Baywatch is under new management, and it's not good.

The food was terrible, the service was awful and in a very short while we realized why we were the only people in the place. Word is obviously starting to get around about the abysmal fall in standard at Baywatch. We paid our bill and moved on down the beach.

I'll not go on about all that has gone wrong there, just suffice to say that there are plenty of bars stretched along the beach, some of them great, some of them good and some of them not so good, but all, I am sorry to say, are better than Baywatch.

It's really very, very sad to see such a great place, with such a great reputation, fall so far.

• Visited November 2012