I stayed a week in the low season, and had a great stay. However, it's difficult to rate the resort, as it is very dependent on your preferences. My plan was to relax, relax and relax. Let's say it this way;
1) Area: Great, quiet and a 10 min walk away from the more touristy beach. The area, with a dozen resorts and small restaurants (I highly recommend Jelly Fish - walk 200 m south/turn right out from the resort's beach side), is a bit more authentic than the ones at the beaches further north. Santhian Beach resort, a few steps to the north, is not a bad (nor cheap) place to eat. Nevertheless, the resort's own beach is the nicest I found on Ko Samet with hammocks and white sand. ATM, mini mart, massage and (not disturbing) tour operators nearby.
2) Rooms: Difficult. I had a sea front room with two bathrooms, and had a good time (cockroach on the bathroom, btw), but if you have a room further back you might feel a bit pissed off. Standard is ok, wifi slow (and turned off during bad weather).
3) Resort facility and service: Ok. Nice "garden" and rest area, but the nearby areas tempted more. Service ok, but the rooms were not cleaned during my week, although new towels, toilet paper and water were given.
4) Ko Samet in general: Ok for a few days (maybe a week if you, like me, want to get away from everything and just read your book), but my advise is to stay away from the northern beaches. Much better further, but not too far, south, and for sure best around Banthaisanthian. Forget about hiring a moto, as road standard is like a third world country. Boat trips in the area are ok, but a three hour tour is enough. Don't miss the sunset from the viewpoint near the hotel, and remember to check out the yelling frogs during the evening.
And one more thing; all the waste floating in the sea, at the roads and in the back yards is a shame for Thailand.
In total, I had a great stay, and I recommend it if you want a quiet and non-fancy down to earth place.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Banthaisangthain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.