“Terrible”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Samet
Sawasdee Coco Bungalows
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've been to some bad hotels during my many years of travelling, this must be among one of the worst, if not the worst. More resembling a backpackers joint. Don't go by the pictures you see of it on websites, they look nothing like the real thing. Our balcony certainly didn't look like the pictures. Maybe more like the place you might put your dustbins at the back of the house.

Don't blame the staff , can't turn a hovel into a palace ! Lazy management by the looks of it.

Having paid B1,250 for the room , we weren't expecting 4* or anything near it. The rooms were small and not too clean. The very old furnture comprised of a TV (ancient) with no English stations, although there were 200 stations to choose from. No wardrobe or drawers, you had to hang things on something that resembled a rack in your hallway at home to put up coats and hats. Two single beds shoved together rather uncomfortably (we had asked for a double in advance). Air con unit had seen better days. Not even a chair in the room, having said that, not enough space for it to fit in

None of the rooms appear to have any sea view, although it is next to the beach. Our view out of our rather small windows was a white brick wall. If you get a room as you see in the brochure, you will be looking at another room opposite you, 2 metres away with the walkway in between.

There is no breakfast or any other meal for that matter, reason being they have no restaurant.

There is also quite a bit of building work going on around the hotel, hammering and electric saws and drills. Certainly not from the Sawadee Co Co, must have been quite a few years since they have done any work on the place

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend any room in this place. Best idea would be just go to Ko Samet. There are m...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank BangkokRaymy

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've been travelling now for 6 months in SE Asia and this place was by far and away the worst value accommodation we've stayed in during our trip. We paid 2,625 baht per night for the family room in high season. It's not that the room was bad per se, more that it was twice the price it should have been for what you got. I'd never visited Koh Samet before and I'm guessing its proximity to Bangkok means the hotels just don't need to try very hard for business or look after their rooms very well, and people will still come and pay the prices.

The room itself was definitely on the small side for a family room - not very much room to put your cases without tripping over them. The set-up of the rooms means you have very little privacy - all rooms face each other and have huge sliding window doors across the front so everyone can look in unless you keep the curtains shut the whole time. The bathroom smelt of fish and urine which was pretty unpleasant. All communal areas are just very tired and shabby which is a real shame, you can't help but feel the place has lots of potential but lazy management means they just don't make the place very appealing to guests.

The staff were friendly enough but most of the time just sat around chatting and eating on the decking areas outside the guest rooms.

The other thing which infuriated me was that when I booked (through their website), the final price I was given on the invoice was not the amount charged to my credit card. When I queried it before arrival via email I was informed "all credit card transactions are subject to a small surcharge" , apparently it was hidden in the small print and not made clear anywhere on the site (nor final invoice) during the booking process.

The only real positive is the location which is right on the beach. However, if I was to stay on Koh Samet again would choose one of the many guesthouses based a few minutes' walk off the beach - I suspect you could find a much better value option still within a very easy walk.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BertievonSorrol
Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here end of May, beginning of June, family of four. We hadn't high expectations so weren't disappointed at the fact that there's no on site restaurant or 24 hour room service. We got exactly what we wanted, which was a large A/C room, en suite, cleaned daily, with free water. Okay so the kettle leaked and on a couple of nights the resident dogs had a barking match but at the end of the day my 11 and 8 year old sons loved the fact that the beach was seconds from the door. There are sun loungers available for free and you can get a drink from the reception area. This being Samet and so close to Bangkok it is more pricey, relatively speaking. I'd suggest avoiding restaurants attached to resorts as they are more expensive. Bars and restaurants are all within easy reach. The Naga Bar at the far end of the beach past the statues does a good cocktail deal: toss a coin to pay for it or get it free.
Overall a relaxing stay and we were sorry to leave.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank David M
Reviewed May 28, 2012

this place is terrible. NO service. the room has an awful odour. had to ask for toilet paper and towels. the beds are hard as a slab of cement. rooms not clean. do yourself a favour and dont stay here

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank sahse1985
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Since visiting the island it does look as though there are cheaper options, but I wanted to book in advance and this was by far the cheapest option I could find. Its about a 5 mins walk down the beach from the 'centre' of Hat Sai Kaew. The reception is actually on the beach and is manned by plenty of young staff. They sell drinks from here too, which can be drunk on the patio area or the beach itself.
My room was right at the rear of the narrow site, close to some adjacent building works and the slightly scruffy rear entrance. Large patio with table and chairs. Fairly spacious room with two single beds, tv, a/c and a large bathroom. My only complaint would be that the bathroom doorframe wasn't built for 6ft+ people in mind and there was no safe (nor was there one in reception).
There are sunloungers and chairs on the beach to the front of the site, but it was quite busy (even in mid-week) so I chose to walk to other quieter beaches (Ao Nuan I think was my favourite) and return here later in the afternoon when it was quieter. Nice massages available, I even got a foot scrub without having to leave my sunlounger!

Its pretty basic but its cheap compared to the large resorts that surround it. If I was to visit Koh Samed again, I'd probably try the more basic bungalows on a quieter beach, but this is a good value option on the egde of the 'thick of the action'.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank majp81
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed here with a friend this past weekend and really enjoyed the room. The location is great and within walking distance of several nice restaurants on the beach. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the only criticism that I have is that they promised to bring a 3rd bed for our room and never did. Other than this, the stay was great, the AC worked well, and the beach was beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trey A
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Positives:
+++ 20 sec (max) walk to the beach
+++ 7 min walk into town (restaurants, 7-11): No need to rent motorbike or use local mafia taxi
++ 2 min beach walk to bars/restaurants
++ Great location on the beach: Unfortunately the town allows tour boats to moor ALL DAY on certain section of the beach, however the stretch where this place is located does not have boats moored, allowing for great swimming and un-obstructed beach chair views directly in front of the hotel
+++ Free use of beach lounge chairs/umbrellas
+ Nice beach-side coffee hut

Negatives:
--- Hundreds of TV channels, none of which are English. No channel guide
--- Accept cash only
-- Poor room cleaning: Had to request to have room cleaned & Poor bathroom cleaning
- Some building noise after 8am at the rear of the complex at the time of my stay
- Needed to request to have beach umbrellas re-aligned with the suns movement

Room Tip: modern, recently built family rooms/huts (2 double beds) are at the rear of the complex (@ 50m from...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends