“A nice weekend getaway”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Ko Samet
Pluak Daeng, Thailand
“A nice weekend getaway”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The Samed Cabana is located at Vongduean Beach, which is not the most popular beach but with more then a few resorts. You arrive here directly via Ferry, which is offered by Malibu or Vongduean Villa and Resorts. Both Ferries cost about THB 80 per one way. Do not book via any travel agent as well not through Malibu Travel. They will charge you almost twice the amount.
The ferry take about 30-45 minutes from the ferry pier to the island. You will need to change onto a smaller boat to go to the beach as there is no pier. The staff will assist you with any luggage you have. Therefore I would not worry about how to get there.
The Samed Cabana is located at one end of the beach. They have bungalows with sea view as well as second row bungalows. We booked one in the second row. As they have only 2 ferries a day we decided to catch the 9:30 ferry. We where aware that our room might not be ready. The staff greeted us friendly and we have been able to check-in a bit earlier at 12pm instead of 2pm. We just went to a late breakfast/early lunch at Vongduean Villa at the opposite end of the beach.
At 12pm we have been able to check in. The room is quite nice. A bit older but still in good condition. The fridge working and not to noisy. The safe is secured to the floor, which makes it a bite harder to reach as it is inconvenient to knee down to get access to it. The bathroom is nice.Not too small not to big. the right size for only one person. The bathroom has open windows, which cannot be closed. This is not an issue, as they have nets to prevent mosquitos coming inside and due to its Thailand it will never be cold too. We had an issue with the bathroom door lock as it was locking by itself and we have not been bale to open it anymore. The handyman cam a few minutes after we let them know of the issues. They fixed it immediately and for the remainder of our time we had no issues with it. We had warm water, even though it was not needed. There is no wi-fi in the rooms but in the common area/restaurant. The restaurant is overlooking the beach and is quite nice. The breakfast is basic but good. They changed some of the menu item on a daily basis so that we had every day something new. Do not expect anything fancy but it is still a good breakfast. They even have a fresh egg station but you need to keep in mind that the chef might not be around as she has something to do in the back. Not sure what. We had as well lunch there. The thai food was quite good and the fish fresh. Not sure about the western menu. They offer as well bbq dinner but the service was non existent and we therefore decided to eat somewhere else. If the manager is not around it might get tricky to receive good service but I am not too sure about that. They have as well a pool, which is quiet and relaxing if you like to have clear clean water to swim. We used it once but I preferred the salt water. About 150meters from the resort is a small convenient store with the absolute basic necessities. Drinks, Snacks, Suncreme, bathing stuff. No food items though.
Overall for a weekend or long weekend it is great. Not sure if I would like to stay there for over a week.
Be mindful though that most people do not speak a lot of english and their Thai might as well not be that good. Most of the employees in the hospitality industry are from Cambodia or Myanmar. The managers and desk personell speak english quite well and during the day time they are always around.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I would say the good thing first which is only the location but only at Wongduen area not the whole Samed Island... So that is the only good thing about this resort!!!!!

Do Not Stay Here!!!!!!!! If you want a to have good time in Samed. Most of the staff barely to understand even Thai or English as we made an orders for food and I swear that they have to take it back to make a new one more than 3 times (simple menu fried rice with fried egg !!!) Many staff but no one seem to care to service you and when they come they don't understand the language !!!

The room we pay $100 (3,000) per night it looked lovely out side but inside is horrible !!! The bed is very very very hard, towel is hard and dirty, no hair dryer, no spray horse, no in room telephone, no room service ... Basicly just room with the cover !!!

Breakfast is terrible orange juice is mixed with water (OMG) go eat somewhere else.

Well overall if you have $100 per night book other resort I would recommend Tubtim resort at Tubtim beach or Samed villa.

For Samed Cabana the best thing is location... Villa they can do touch up.. Service if they could train or unless staff learn how to speak Thai or English ... Breakfast is the must to improve so that they can add the price for this expensive. I have plan to come back to Samed but never to this resort ever again!!!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Patty_Achi

Travelers are raving about these Ko Samet hotels

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Samed cabana is at the end of wongduen beach. I stayed in seaview bangalow which was a good choice. You can see the beach with more privacy than beachfront bangalow. Wongduen is not that beautiful but with this resort you will get that cozy beach feeling as its more on a quiet zone and this hotel own the best part of wongduen. The service is not to talk about as we don't really have much interaction with the staff. They did their job and there's nothing to be complained. We did a motorbike trip around the island and seen many resort and well this one is quite a great choice. If you only want a quiet holiday on the beach relaxing i would recommend this one. But if you're looking for a place with fun vibe and party this is not a place for you.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Onicha
Delden, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 12, 2014

To be honest, the hotel was not what we expected. The hotel was more simple than what you see on pictures. And we have to say that the island bored us. The citycentre has nothing to offer, people are spoiled by tourism and effects the service. Snorkling was for me the best option to enjoy the stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Good example for how masstourism turns a nice beach into a nightmare.

Samed cabanas climaxing this experince of ko samet. The bungalow is worth a tenth of the demanded price, well its at least clean but that's the only positive aspect.

Three rows of white plastic chairs in front of your oceanview bungalow are spoiling the view. Unfriendly staff that has no problem with lying direct into your face.

Rubbish in the water, on the beach, broken doorlock, broken safe, disgusting breakfast.

We left this place after one horrible night regardless the 500 euros we are wasting because of their no refund policy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohannOdnS
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Beach front Rooms are relatively clean, although we did have one cockroach in the bathroom and some mosquito blood stains on are bed sheets.

Staff are friendly and helpful although not particularly proactive or fast, which is pretty normal for the beach environment.

In terms of value for money it was way overpriced.

Food was not very good. Instead head for the restaurant closer to the rocks on the left side.

It was the hotel w the best beach front and in the most quiet area of the beach.

Beach was not always that clean and during the day there were a lot of day tourists.

In conclusion, a good option close to Bangkok for those who ndo not have time to find beaches further away.

Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed at Samed Cabana for 8 nights and overall experience has been wonderful. I really don't understand some other comments over here - I guess some people are just a bit spoiled and can never be fully satisfied...
Brekfast was great - I travel A LOT and trust me - this was good breakfast. I would recommend the omelet over scrambled eggs though - scrambled seemed undercooked. Other than that you could have ham, sausages, jam, pancakes, french toast, thai breakfast, fruit. Juices weren't great but who cares. my boyfriend drank coffeee every day and said it was ok.
The beach is great and samed cabana is on the best bit of it, there were plenty of loungers in February when I was there
Dogs and cats are great, very well looked after by the locals, I love animals and can tell these are some happy pets. Cats don't seem hungry at all but would drink the milk I offered them, dogs seem very keen on your leftover chicken bones, but won't bother you at all. I always gave them my leftovers if I bought papaya chicken from a lovely lady who walks up and down the beach around lunchtime.
You will not be bothered by wendors - there are very few of them and they are quite useful actually. Make sure you buy lots of fresh fruit from them, especially cold pineapple on the stick. I already mentioned the lady who sells chicken, plus there is a guy who sells big towels, I didn't buy tem even though I was tempted - the beach towels you get from the hotel are tiny - but i had no room in my suitcase for them, they looked quire nice though
There were very few mosquitoes in the room - that is if you kept your door shut of course. I killed a few and got bitten a few times as well, i should have probably used more DEET. Happy to report there were no other bugs in the room, couple of tiny lizards outside every now and then, but they never went inside and were very cute
Also I have to mention a large flat screen telly with bbc news, cnn and fox movies channel - very pleasant surprise!
Staff was extremely friendly , helpful and polite - don't listen to anyone who says otherwise
Food was very good everywhere but make sure you try thai curry at blue sky and anything at nice&easy.
Our cabana was in the garden ection and I think this row offers more privacy although beachfront huts did have a magnificent view
The only con would be the fact that bed sheets were only changed once a week - not great but I was having too good a time to complain about it, oh, and beds were a bit hard but that's very common in Asia
Overall I would definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: For peace and quiet go for garden rooms, beachfront cabanas with most privacy were B12 to B15 , they...