Lowest prices for your stay
$30
Free cancellation until 10/06/22
$41
Free cancellation until 10/07/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
$28
Free cancellation until 10/06/22
Priceline$44
Hotels.com$41
Travelocity$41
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Credit to whoever took the photos for the website. They've done a great job of selling this place. We took an impromptu trip to Koh Samet just after New Year and knowing the island could be busy we pre-booked a couple of nights. After a quick browse around we gave Vongduern a call and they offered us a couple of deluxe cliff top rooms.

The location was quite pleasant, up on the rocks with a view of the sea through the trees. The beach is fairly quiet in comparison to elsewhere, with no really loud bars.

Calling the villa deluxe is an exaggeration though. Beds were just mattresses on a raised platform. The bathroom was really basic and could just about be described as clean at a push - it was desperately in need of refurbishing. In fact that applies to the whole hut (it's a better description than villa). I've heard that some of the rooms have been updated. Guess we were unlucky.

I've been to Samet a few times and have stayed in accommodation of various standards. This is by no means the worst, but it felt vastly overpriced.

In future I think I'll just show up and find a room when I get there.

Room tip: Ask for a refurbished room
Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
8  Thank boytaylor
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Firstly, DO NOT book this (or any) hotel through Roomsellers.com. We arrived after long coach/ferry/taxi journey from Bangkok and were told by the hotel staff that they had no record of our booking and had not received the money we had paid to Roomsellers months earlier. The hotel staff were initially not very helpful, but eventually we managed to arrange a room for three of the five nights we had booked which we had to pay for again up front - can't really blame the hotel for this. They said they'd had lots of problems with Roomsellers, and that they didn't believe that Roomsellers would transfer our money to them. Roomsellers did refund us about two weeks later, but only after we threatened the involvement of local police.

Anyway, turning to the villas...We stayed in a deluxe villa, which was quite new. The villa was clean, and nicely decorated, and the bathroom was okay. Facilities in the villa were quite basic, there was nowhere to put our clothes for example, but it had a fridge and air-conditioning. The thing I really liked was that our villa was 2 mins from the beach front, we could move between the two as we fancied, and without any effort - ideal for a relaxing holiday.

The grounds of the hotel were very pretty, and peaceful, and the location of the restaurant overlooking the sea was great. We ate breakfast there one morning, and dinner one evening. Breakfast was quite limited, and the food in the evening was good but not the best we had on Vongdeurn beach. If you don't fancy cooked breakfast everyday, but would rather have toast and fruit, don't pay for breakfast in advance with your booking, it's cheaper just to buy each day. Also, there's much more breakfast and dinner choice if you take a stroll down the beach. We ate quite a few meals at the 'Nice & Easy' restaurant on the beach, and the food was very tasty, especially the red curry. I'd also recommend the iced mocha and free wi-fi at the cafe attached (I think) to the Vongdeurn Resort Hotel.

Overall, I'd say the villa was good value for money, and had lots of plus points. I would go back, but I'd definitely book directly with the hotel!

Room tip: The deluxe villas are a bit more expensive, but probably worth it.
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmyandMatt_9
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Just been back to this resort with my daughter and her family and had a great time. This end of the bay is such a contrast to the noisy and much more crowded places further along. Our rooms were fine, nothing luxurious but clean and properly serviced by the housekeeping staff. Food in the very attractive restaurant on the rocks is good and moderately priced - the exception to this is breakfast which is fairly basic and with limited choice. There is a little cabin just behind the beach which serves delicious juices and coffee and cheerful vendors walk up and down the beach selling snacks for lunch and fruit, but they are not intrusive and do not hassle you to buy. The beach is perfect for children, being soft sand and gently sloping and the water is generally warm. Three or four masseuses are in attendance for those who wish to have a good Thai massage (or have their nails done). My only caveat, as last year, is that, if you want a bit of comfort, you need to be sure to get one of the updated/refurbished rooms.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank JohnEdLondon
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I have been visiting Vong duern for nearly 20 years and lucky enough to visit 6 times a year. I have seen many changes, (most for the better) as the building of new bungalows blend in beautifully with the flaura and fauna. Luckily the resort still retains so much charm, it is my little bit of heaven on earth. Accomodation is basic, but who cares! when you have the most amazing beach, sea, resaurants and most of all, the Thai people, who I am lucky enough to call my friends and family. White soft sand, clear blue sea and really good food( especially on the rocks) served by the most friendly, genuine hard working people. One bit of advise - If you like a soft bed you will be disappointed, so have a Thai massage on the beach to loosen your muscles. Any stress you may have will disaapear immediately you step onto the beach. PLEASE do not leave litter or bottles on the beach though. Don't spoil my little bit of heaven

Room tip: Check the mattress as they can be extremely firm (Hard)
Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank HezNewcastleuponTyne
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Have been to Vongduern Villa many times over the years and was a little worried this time by some of the reviews here. However, although some of the rooms are in the process of being upgraded those that have already been done are great. At the best end of the beach - beautiful, quiet and peaceful - and with friendly staff and great food in the evenings it's for me the best value for money by far on the beach. Yes - there are more secluded and fancier places but if you're looking for a great place with a family you can't go too far wrong here. Rooms 207 and 208 are great by the way, with connecting doors making it great for a family.

Room tip: 207 and 208 are great - good value (for this beach), newly done up and great little location
Date of stay: July 2011