How to get to Koh Samet:
1. From the airport take a taxi to Ekamai station for max 400 THB, take the EXPRESS! bus direct to ban phe (this is the village where the boat leaves from to Koh Samet - bus leaves every hour from 5AM, journey takes 3h) COST:cca. 240 THB. If You arrive after 5PM should sleep in Ban Phe at "Christies" (the name of the hotel just opposite the ferry, a 100 meters from the bus station) FYI: it is pretty scary to cross the water at night. Besides that the hotel is cheap as it is 500 THB per room. Across the road a great massage place.
a. next to the 7eleven (in Ban Phe - it is just opposite the pier)there is an other store where the owner changes money (good rates) - if cant find it ask at Christies where can you change money and they will show it to you
b. at the island the best rates in the SAMED VILLA resort. Go to the reception and ask for FX. They charge 2% but using the national banks rate. Other FX booth will use worst rates
2. You can take a a minibus from Victory monument (taxi from airport costs 350-400) Call up this number (minibus and sea transfer Co in Ban Phe) [--] (mobile) and give the phone to the taxi driver so the operator can explain to the driver where to drop you off. The miniubus is cca 30 min faster and drops you off the pier. COST: 250 THB
The minus in this case is that there is a limited luggage space on the bus
Once you are in Ban Phe daytime you have 2 choices:
1. take the ferry for 50THB which takes you to the main pier of Koh Samet in 2h from where you have take a tuk-tuk taxi to the hotel for cca 80THB/p, but it will take you 1st to pay the 200 THB/p park fee.
2. The other option is to take the speed boat which is going on shedule 2 times daily (9AM and around 2-3PM / ask by the above phone number) for 250 THB/p or 1250 THB/boat any time and it takes 30 minutes. It takes you directly to the resort (the hotel) and no park fee will be paid (at least when you arrive to tubtim). You can walk from Tubtim to other beaches (Saikaew is a long walk though as it is after the Budha).
Tub TIm: I found it reasonable priced (see pictures) and the water is the clearest among the other beaches on this side of the island. Altought for nightlife and food I would recommend to take a walk to an other beach which is located cca 750m from Tub Tim (Ao Phrao). Would even suggest you to walk further to Jep`s (you cant miss it but you may ask local people) where they have the best BBQ and the only place where you can taste the most delicious thai desert (sticky rice with coconut and mango) - it is very yam-yam :-).. You can also choose to stay here. Beach is worst than Tub Tim.
We have spent 2000 THB for food for two per day. Singha is 60-120 (S-L), BBQ squid 200 THB, tuna BBQ on stick 200 THB, 6 pieces of BBQ kingprawn 250 THB. BBQ dishes around 200-350 THB. I am a big seafood eater so I eat two plates. Tom Ka or Tom Yum soup is 120-180 THB. Pad thai shrimp 120 THB.
You can snorkel around the bay at Tub Tim, renting a snorkelling equipment is 80THB/day but I would suggest to take yours or buy one prior to your arrival to the island. If you wish to learn scuba diving (I have did so) go to UDI diving shop. The 4 day course would cost 14500 THB (cca 320EUR). UDI is a great teacher.
Going back to BKK, you can call the number mentioned above and "reserve" a seat on the minibus. Insist of not paying an xtra ticket for your luggage and then it will be 250. On the way back from the island you can choose again between the speed boat transfer and the ferry. The minibus takes you to victory monument where you can catch a taxi or you can hop on the sky train.
Siriwhite Speedboat: [--]
Tarue Phe (speed boat and minibus Co): [--] or
Any question, please ask.
If you arrive to BKK and don`t want to travel a lot around Thailand this is your place to rest. I was here for the last 3 years 5 times as were flying to Bangkok quite a lot.
Enjoy your stay!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your Tub Tim Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tubtim Hotel Rayong