“A nice little winery, but staff were not helpful”
Review of GranMonte Vineyard

GranMonte Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Pak Chong
More attraction details
Owner description: GranMonte Family Vineyard is uniquely located in Asoke Valley, Khao Yai and lies adjacent to Khao Yai National Park. Asoke Valley is known in Thailand for the beautiful yellow flower blossoms that is special to the region of Khao Yai. The serene atmosphere and truly beautiful surroundings of Asoke Valley, KhaoYai provides a perfect setting for the GranMonte Vineyard. Blending with its natural environment of KhaoYai has inspired the name "GranMonte", which also translates as “big mountain”.GranMonte Estate Single Vineyard has a wine grapes planting area of approximately 90 rai (or 36 acre) of Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chenin Blanc, Viognier, Verdelho, Petite Sirah and Grenache. Only the estate-grown grapes were used for the vinification of our wines. International wine competitions have awarded trophies and gold medals to GranMonte wines including AWC Vienna, Decanter World Wine Awards in the UK, Wine Style Asia Singapore, FBAT Wine Challenge, Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition, IWSC England, Syrah du Monde, Japan Wine Challenge and more. GranMonte 2009 Asoke Cabernet Sauvignon Syrah has won Gold in AWC Vienna and Wine Style Asia and Silver in Decanter among 6 other awards, while other wines also won multiple international and national awards.Located in GranMonte Vineyard is a 120 seat fine dining restaurant, VinCotto. Favoured by local and overseas guests. Caters to diners from holidaying families to wine lovers. Exquisite home-style dishes are from the family recipes matched with GranMonte award winning wines. Reservation recommended.
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've been to GrandMonte a few times. However, my recent visit was disappointing. I brought guests from Norway and as soon as we entered the wine tasting shop, the staff seemed uninterested to serve us or to explain any of the wines available for tasting. We stood around for about ten minutes and tried to approach some staff, but recieved the cold shoulder. Seemed they were more interested in a tour that was taking place in a room. When we approached the room, a staff rudely shut the door on us. We left without tasting any wines. Not sure what happened that day, but it certainly was not expected from a well established winery. On a positive note, it was a beautiful day and the scenery was great. We took the opportunity to take some wonderful pictures instead.

3  Thank Deni D
TropicVino, Owner at GranMonte Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Khun Deni,

I have been away overseas and now back at GranMonte. We are taking your review very seriously and have discussed with the staff about what happened. Apparently we had a new system of tour where the more senior staff were looking after the tour and left the junior staff who do not know much about wines to attend to other customers. However, that was unacceptable and I have reinforce that this situation will not happen again to any customers.

If you decide to come back to visit GranMonte, please feel free to e-mail me directly at nikki@granmonte.com and we will make sure you and your guests will go home with a better impression of our vineyard.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed with my friend for two amazing nights at the guest house last year. GranMonte is truly a hidden gem within Thailand. If you love wine, this is THE place to visit while in Thailand. Imagine tasting award-winning syrahs, and cool chenin blancs while looking out over a lotus pond!

The rooms were very modern and clean. (with strong air conditioning for those hot days.) Our room looked out directly over the vineyard. In the morning we sat on the patio drinking coffee, to a peaceful vista of grape vines and mountains.

We got an interesting vineyard tour from the energetic and very friendly winemaker, Nikki. Words can't describe the amazing wines she's been able to produce in such a challenging environment.

We were in the area for the annual Big Mountain Music Festival, which is like Woodstock in Thailand. While making the drive from Bangkok to GranMonte, we saw wild elephants in the nearby National Park. So, beyond the vineyard, there's plenty of other things to do in the area. I'd like to make it back for GranMonte's annual Harvest Festival- it looks like good fun.

1  Thank tina714

Dear Tina,

Thank you for the lovely review!! We are glad you had a good experience at GranMonte and in Khao Yai. Looking forward to welcoming you this harvest festival!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I visited this family run vineyard/winery/restaurant in Khao Yai after touring and some tasting at some other vineyards in the region, so expectation was VERY low. What a pleasant surprise, the award winning wines were TRULY world class and easily the best I have tasted in my travels in SE Asia; clean, full of flavour and a great range that was well priced and no doubt is something to aspire to for others in the region.

We stayed for an excellent lunch, (I recommend the Pork Knuckle) and then took an interesting and informative tour with the well traveled and educated winemaker Nikki.... And left with a few cases of her wine.

For any wine lover or wine doubter, I cannot recommend GranMonte enough. We will definitely be back and plan to stay in their guesthouse for next years' Harvest festival.

1  Thank Seasoned T
NikkiLohitnavy, Owner at GranMonte Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Very glad you enjoyed our wines and your visit! Next year we will include a sparkling wine in our range. Cheers!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I saw granmonte from web photos before this visit so didn't expect much. But it has wow factor..beautifully located among mountains and low hills. We wanted to stay and spend time around. I could see how much work has put into make this lovely gardens. Impressived. Certainly one of th best places to visit in Khao yai.

2  Thank joyoftraveler

Thank you very much for the great review! We certainly put a lot of work into manicuring the vineyard to make sure we get the best quality grapes to make the best possible wine that we can! We are glad you enjoyed your visit here. Do come back in November-January where the weather will be nice and cool and there will be plenty of grapes on the vines! Cheers!

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in the guesthouse, peaceful settings and staff were friendly. The restaurant serves great food. We had lunch on our first day and dinner on second day. Great food with sparkling rose wine. Thumbs up! Breakfast was provided too, was a bit overwhelm by the breakfast. I feel so full after eating. The ambience for enjoying breakfast beside the pond was great. Watching the fishes, butterflies and enjoying breakfast at the same time is relaxing, just want the moment to stay at that time.
We went for the winery tour on second day morning. An eye opener! I had never tour a winery before and first time knowing the process for wine making. After which, there was some wine tasting. Love the wine but there only limited amount that I can bring back to home. Bought a box of wine, some jam and raisins. Wanted to get more but not much luggage space left. I was so excited about the stuffs in the shop that I forgot to show the member card for discount. Yes, I was given a membership card that has discount at restaurant and shop. Haha.
Me and my hubby definitely going to return to Granmonte again, and together with another few more friends. Hopefully I'll be able to see grapes next time as now is not the season. Thanks for making our stay enjoyable.

NikkiLohitnavy, Owner at GranMonte Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thank you very much for your lovely review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your time here. Hope to welcome you back in the grape season (Nov-Feb)!