“Visit only if you have found no other place to eat!”
Review of East End Hotel

East End Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Restaurants in Madikeri
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bombay
“Visit only if you have found no other place to eat!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This place at Madikeri was recommended for lunch by Mr.Vasanth from Siddhi Aloha. Taking his advice, we visited this place & what a mistake! We had to wait for tables for over 10 mins - tables were vacant but not cleared of dishes for whatever reasons. We finally get a table but it took us 10 more mins to draw the attention of a slow to move & slower to think waiter. Only one menu card is given for 6 persons. When the waiter is asked, he says only "only one menu card". I went to the "manager' to check on this, but he did not even bother to take a second glance. Half the stuff in the two page menu card was not available. After choosing what the waiter chooses for us(!), we have to wait another 25 mins before we are served. Now comes the fun part - dal & curries served in four bowls but only 2 spoons. No spoons accompany any of the 7 plates. When we asked the waiter for more spoons, he simply grins saying "no spoons"! All the rice for 6 persons is brought in one large plate & again no spoons to distribute the rice! After some haggling, the waiter brings two soup spoons! The dal is watery, as though heavily diluted, the other food is simply not worthy of any mention. The raita & curd (this was ordered as part of the meal) comes when we are almost finished & this is sour & watery & again - no spoons. Finally, I asked the dumb #%&@ waiter if we are supposed to have the raita & curd using our bare hands, he promptly disappears from the scene!
We just finished whatever we could & walked out after myself giving the waiter a good piece of mind! Gave a good piece of mind to Mr.Vasanth later.

All in all, this was one of the most disgusting service experiences at any restaurant I have ever been!

Visit at your own risk! I am surprised at some earlier ratings on this restaurant!

1 Thank jd1073

Mangalore, Karnataka, India
“Little disappointing”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Lack of staff for cleaning and serving. Food came in late, was cold. Nice ambience.... overlooking the valley. prices were ok.

1 Thank rdf24
Bangalore
“Visit, If You Do Not Feel Guilty”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Visit this place only if you do not feel guilty taking time over eating. You will be lucky to get a space to sit in half-an-hour, and another fifteen minutes may be wasted in grabbing the waiter's attention. Some items mentioned on the menu may not be served. I ordered chicken kebab, and found that it was actually deep fried chicken! The prawn masala was good. After finishing the first roti, I had to wait for five minutes to get another one. Those waiting for space kept looking at me, wondering why I was not finishing the meal, and I kept feeling guilty about the delay in getting served. The waiter, of course, did not suffer from any such guilt!

1 Thank Amitabh_Varma
Bangalore
“Best chicken curry I ever had from a hotel”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

When the waiter recommended chicken curry, I dreaded before ordering it as it is the least tasty item on the menu - something most restaurants have as filler - for the ultra cost conscious - typically a concoction of masalas with runny gravy. But this was unlike any chicken curry I ever had. Beautifully prepared with a thick grated coconut gravy, and perfectly spiced. This restaurant is recommended as locals flock here for food, and I understand why. Service is also prompt. We reached the restaurant early - by 7 PM but was told that it will open only by 7:30 PM. So do not expect Bangalore restaurant timings in case you are planning to have and early dinner and retire for the night. Parking space is ample, but gets muddy if it rains. Also, they serve alcohol on the table. So if you are very particular on a pure food-only experience or have an inquisitive child as I do (asking questions on the "colored juice" a couple at our neighboring table were having), then order a take away (if they have).

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best place in Madikeri”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Fresh food, freshly cooked. Could be more tasty but at least it's fresh & clean.Excellent dosa/ cutlet in a/noon.
The owner could improve it a little & it would be fantastic. But he just sits & reads the newspaper & let's his loyal, underpaid staff do all the work.
Smelly toilets; shame.
We have eaten at least 50 times there & the only reason we get good service is because I tip well.

Visited May 2013