“Decent, but difficult to find”
Review of Hilltown Hotel

Hilltown Hotel
Ranked #62 of 126 Madikeri B&B and Inns
Bengaluru, India
“Decent, but difficult to find”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

For the price, it is a good option. Good service, good food in the restaurant below. It was crazy trying to find this hotel, as the chief approach road is so narrow that it will be missed. While the hotel is centrally located, that fact is useful only for hitchhikers or tourists who do not have their own car and want to foot around. For those who want to take their own car to Madikere, why do you want to be living in a hotel which is tucked away in some nondescript corner of some offshoot alley of some winding road! Madikere is not a very big place and if you have your vehicle, I would definitely recommend people to ignore 'location' considerations while searching for a lodging/hotel.

If you are a couple, better ask and insist for a double bed. By default they will offer you a room with two single beds 'joint' together. They have enough rooms, so your insistence would be obliged.

Rest, its good for the price, as I said.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, better ask and insist for a double bed. By default they will offer you a room w...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We booked this hotel, as we were looking for a hotel with basic amenities at an economical price. Also, since our bus was scheduled to reach Madikeri late night, we preferred a place close to the bus station. This hotel is located very close to the bus station. Overall, I would say, we had an average experience with this hotel, with some pluses and some minuses.

Pluses:
1. Located right at the centre of Madikeri, and hence it is at a walkable distance from some of the sightseeing places like Raja's seat, Madikeri Fort & Omkareshwara Temple. Also, there is a taxi stand a few meters from the hotel, where we can get cabs for sightseeing.
2. Room was clean, with hot water available any time. They had an LCD TV in the room also.
3. The staff were prompt and they appeared immediately after pressing the buzz for reception. Similarly, we vacated at around 4 am in the morning, the staff were patient and helpful.

Minuses
1. There were some minor problems everywhere. The tap in the bathroom was not functioning properly. Water was leaking from the shower whenever we opened the tap.
2. Water jug was not filled at the time of checking in. I notice another reviewer also mentioning the same. They filled it upon request, but this is something preliminary, and I guess should be done without we requesting for it.
3. They could do well with more pleasing personalities at the reception. My wife literally got frightened at the sight of the reception guy's appearance at the time of check-in.
4. They have an online booking facility in their website and using that I tried to book. However, when I called them, they are not aware of the online booking facility, and so I have to send an email!

The restaurant has an average ambience, and the food is also nothing special.

You can book this hotel, if you only require a room for sleeping and you do not intend to stay in the room longer. In our case this hotel worked well, as we spent most of the day in sightseeing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading reviews in Tripadvisor. I was a bit disappointed with almost everything with the hotel. Below are the pros and cons of the hotel
Pros:
1) They have big parking area
2) Rooms, furnishings and the toilets were clean
3) Economically priced but not cheap. I found cheaper and better hotels around.

Cons
1) The room service staff was too lazy and look disinterested in doing any work.
2) They don't have clean drinking water. The water jug was not filled in the room. On requesting for the same, the staff had no idea of what to do. They brought the drinking water in the jug but the water had bugs in it. So we had to forcibly buy bottled water
3) It always stank in the room because the kitchen was right under the room. They don't have proper exhaust for the kitchen.
4) They don't have shower in the bathroom. They provide a bucket and mug but the mug was broken in one of the rooms we booked. On requesting for the same, the staff brought a very old and used mug. They can improve in such minor things.
5) The room has a big open ventilator above the door. It becomes difficult to sleep in the room in cold weather since there is no way to close this ventilator.
6) The room had only one window which was covered by a curtain. The curtain was actually sealed on the window and we could not open the curtain to get some light.
7) The restaurant is average. We ate only once in this restaurant. We preferred another pure vegetarian restaurant near to this hotel.

Though this hotel provides a comfortable stay, I would not prefer to stay in this hotel again because of the above problems. My review may be contradicting to the other reviews but this was my experience

Room Tip: Avoid drinking the water provided by the hotel. Prefer to use bottled water. Ensure that the room i...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Madikeri hotels

Pune, India
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This hotel is central place hotel.I was there for 2 days and 2 nights it is pretty cosy place a bit difficult to locate but was really good to stay around.

The restaurant is pathetic you really cannot order any north indian veg dishes. It is completely tasteless.

The room service and hotel staff is very helpful,you have continous hot water running. No problem to stay around for longer period.

I would highly recommend to stay only for this restaurant.

Regards,
prashant katti

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I read a lot of reviews before making up my mind on the hotels. But sometimes, you do a last minute planning and end up taking whatever is available. This was one of those choices.
We stayed for 2 nights here. Hilltown hotel is right in the middle of Madikeri town (?). Infact, you need to take some sharp U turns and pass through a narrow route to get to there. But Madikeri does not have that kind of heavy traffic and you can stop and ask people if you are in doubt. Most of the people know this Hotel.
Once you reach the hotel, you will be happy to see that they have a dedicated parking lot in front. People are very cordial and polite and we did not have any issues getting our food to the room or getting the garbage cleaned at the end of the day. There is some construction going on in the hotel so the appearance is not that great as you see in the website. But inside is ok but looks very old as far as the facility is concerned.
This is totally a no frills down to earth kind of accommodation and you pretty much get what you are paying for. Many home stay and resorts in Coorg are so damn costly. If you are looking for just a place to sleep comfortably at the end of your day, this Hotel is just fine. But if you want to spend time in Hotel for most of the day, you better look for an alternative. Our plan was to travel around and come back to hotel only when we are done for the day. They have a restaurant downstairs and you get Veg and Non veg dishes.
There are many small shops selling Coorg spices within walking distance. Please avoid the nearest Veg restaurant that is right on the way to hotel near that Coorg spice shop, it’s really pathetic. Rajas seat is just 5 minutes drive or Rs 20 in an auto ride.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the stay here....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bangaloreguy
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I traveled to Madikeri during the Dussera and stayed at Hotel Hilltown. I had previously booked the room through phone and during the booking they showed a very prompt service. They had sent me the confirmation code instantly through e-mail and sent me the account number where I had to pay the advance amount. Though the check-in time was 12 noon but due to our over-night bus journey from Bangalore we arrived at the hotel very early in the morning. But they didn't ask any question and promptly gave me the room. Through out my stay I enjoyed their good service. They also gave valuable suggestion about our sight-seeing plan and that really helped us enormously. They advised that since this was Dussera day so all the roads will be closed after noon and hence they suggested that we should cover all far-off places before that and that was really helpful. The rooms were decent and hot and cold water was available through out the day. The location was also good - very near to the city-centre but away from the noises.

Room Tip: take rooms on higher floors, but there is no lift
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Satty2060
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I booked this hotel as per my colleague refernce without any second thought. i found it more than wat i thought in terms of cleaness,service and location. Hotel at heart of the town bit inside from main road(does not make differnace). if you are looking for simple,quite,and good hotel then go for it. if you are looking for good view outside the window then dont think abt it..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family