“Fantastic”
Review of Rwakobo Rock

Rwakobo Rock
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was looking for somewhere to stay with my daughter and her family that were down from the UK. From initial booking to check out the staff and owners were helpful and very friendly. Nothing too much trouble and their entusiasm for the place they built comes through.
The rock cottages where we stayed were adequately equiped with hot water available all the time. The views from teh cottages were breathtaking with a large amount of wildlife there to see. Dinner was excellent, well presented and delicious. Breakfast was a hearty afair which set us up for the boatride and journey home.
Value for money I don't think this place can be beaten. If you want the intimate atmosphere close to nature then stay here, all you want is available. Must make a booking for half term in February !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cranmere

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Thought we must share....just had ANOTHER great stay at Rwakobo Rock! Incredible hosts and staff!
Friendliness and knowledge of the area amazing! Their love of nature noticeable immediately.
The lodge, dining area and rooms all designed to reflect this.

We travelled with our 6 year old - she begged to return to Rwakobo Rock, so second month running, we did. Chris and Katie have a wonderful way with children - she warmed to them within the first 5 minutes and they showed her the watering hole, birds and shared their love of nature with her.
The food was good, and plentiful! Good selection of dishes to choose from.
The rooms are very comfortable. We have stayed in Eland and Hamerkop rock rooms - spent a lot of time birding right there, both beautiful.

Thank you and well done! It is a place we shall return to at every opportunity possible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Terri42
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here recently on a post Xmas break before heading to Bwindi and it was the first time that we got to see the new lodge in the flesh after having seen pictures online. The main dining/chilling banda is very well designed with a fantastic view and a great place to have a drink, play a boardgame or just take in the view. Some snacks were provided for us to eat with our drinks on arrival and the next afternoon including home-made pork scratchings which were lovely. The service from the staff was excellent certainly given the fact that most of them are very new to the service/catering industry and the food was good. The room we stayed in (Nightjar) was great, had a very nice sleep and had fun chasing the baboons off the adjoining rock in the morning. Chris and Katie have done a great job and am sure the place is only going to get better - we shall be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Phoenixtom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

A warm welcome, spectacular views, great facilities in the national park, good accomodation - that all we found there.
Perfect for a stay of 2-3 nights or to rest on the way back to Kampala and visit the park.
The food is a bit unimaginative (for vegetarians) and could be better in general. Let's give the chef a chance to get more experienced...
We really enjoyed to stay there and we are sure, this family driven lodge we be successfull!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GermanTraveller444
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Right on the edge of Lake Mburo National Park, staying at this lodge means you don't also have to pay park fees. The views from many of the cottages, right on the edge of a cliff, are great, as is the, perhaps even better view, from the main dining and lounge area.

The rates include half board. Essential, as there's really nowhere else to go. Food is decent enough, but not outstanding.

The rooms are more than adequate, though the 80 USD pppn price tag is steep. Then again, this is much cheaper than staying at their fancy competitor inside the park.

Service is good, both by regular staff and the accommodating owners.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MastaBaba
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Whenever I arrive at Rwakobo after the drive from Kampala I feel free and happy. The views of the surrounding countryside and the passing zebras, antelope and ankole cattle remind me just how wonderful Uganda really is. Rwakobo's rocks and bushes allow me the chance to forget about everything else as I can roam around enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the bush.

The lodge itself consists of a variety of rooms, all different to each other in their veiws, locations and finishings- everyone will have their favourite! The vegetation around the site ensures privacy between rooms, as well as providing a home to the birdlife. I love how Chris and Katie (the owners) have focused on using locally sourced materials and products to make those special finishing touches around the lodge.

The main dinning/lounge area of the lodge is under a big thatch, with a dining area to one side and the comfy couches on the other near to the bar. There's also a lovely little cuddle corner- where a couple of comfy cushioned seats entice you to nestle in and enjoy your book, or take up one of the many board games that are piled there.

I've been to Rwakobo numerous times now- with a group of 25, as a couple, and with smaller groups of friends- from the very first time I felt like I was at home. Chris and Katie are fantastically accommodating, catering for me specially due to my dietry requirements. Hot showers, flushing loos and ice cold drinks have always been on offer- pretty impressive considering you're in the middle of the bush!

Rwakobo's location is perfect for a weekend getaway, for exploring the bush by hiking and biking, or as a stop-over enroute to the West. Its positioning just outside the park means that you don't have to pay park entry fees, and due to the unfenced nature of the park the wildlife roams freely right past the lodge! I can't wait to go back for Christmas.

Room Tip: All rooms are different, so it's up the the personal preference. They all have hot water and flu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jenny F
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here as part of a large group. We were the last ones to sign up for this trip, so I'm pretty sure we got the worst cabin. It is called Zebra. There are bush cabins and "rock" cabins. Rock cabins are set on rock ledges overlooking the park. Bush cabins are in the bushes with no grand view,although you can see many animals.
I can not, in good conscience, recommend it. Why, you ask?
The bathroom smelled moldy the minute we walked in. There is not adequate ventilation in my opinion.

The floor was not swept at all during our stay. Nor was there a broom anywhere to be found. There were all kind of dead bugs all over the floor, so you defintely did not want to walk barefoot.

Even though this place is allegedly "brand new" there were holes in our mosquito net. It did not look new. The bathroom definitely did not smell new.

This place is in the bush, so they capture rain water. One day, we did not have hot water for showers. It was a rainy weekend during our stay. They use solar energy to heat the rain water. Other guests in the rock cabins said they had plenty of hot water.

Speaking of water, they do not give you any kind of drinking water. You have to buy it. To me, this is not the kind of service I expect unless I am camping. You need water in your room for brushing teeth and drinking and I expect my lodge to supply it. (I am not new to Africa)

The food was OK but not terribly plentiful. However, when we asked for more they obliged. The food is plated and served to you, it is not set up buffet style.

The coffee is weak and terrible, just like every place in Uganda. I am used to that.

So what are the pro's of this place? There are some.

If you want a place to stop off, on your way upcountry, without having to pay National Park fees to Lake Mburu, this is a good option. It is relatively easy to get to and closer to the main road than other lodges.

It is also much less expensive than it's main competition, called Mihingo Lodge, but I can assure you, Mihingo is about 100 times better and worth the price you pay.
I would most likely not willingly stay here again.

If you don't have high expectations, or enjoy camping, maybe you will like this place.

Room Tip: Get a rock room - do not let them put you in Zebra!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Christopher R, Owner at Rwakobo Rock, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that Zebra wasn't up to your expectations. Although it is good to hear that you saw many animals from your room. It is true that we were brand new, you were the first people in the room and it had just been completed. A smell could have remained from recently finished décor in the cottage. The large windows in the rooms are fitted with mesh and curtains to ensure good ventilation. The mosquito net had snagged during installation and has since been repaired. I am sorry that it went unnoticed prior to your arrival. Rooms are cleaned every day of a visitors stay, I apologise for the inadequate cleanliness of your room. It is difficult to keep all the insects out of the cottages in such a wild environment, particularly if the termites are flying due to the rain. We do appreciate your feedback and will certainly continue to work on this issue to ensure a high standard of cleanliness is kept. Sorry that you did not have hot water, the water is solar heated and should provide enough hot water for every shower. We have taken your comment on board and have since shifted the water heater to improve its operation.

You are right Rwakobo Rock is much cheaper that some of the top end accommodation, we are a midrange establishment both in price and product. We offer a choice of food with a short menu, tailoring the options to cater for any dietary requirements or allergies. Thank you for pointing out that we are always happy to provide more food. Bottled water is available at an additional cost but we do provide filtered rain water free of charge in the restaurant. Guests are welcome to fill their bottles with the free filtered water if they like. We will also consider putting filtered rain water in the rooms as well.

We have recently opened and are continuing to improve both our facilities and services to make every visitors stay as comfortable as possible.

Been to Rwakobo Rock? Share your experiences!