“Travel agent's review”

Ranked #1 of 1 Aston Rogers B&B and Inns
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Travel agent's review”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recently stayed for a couple of nights as I was going to a client's wedding at rowton castle. I was made to feel extremely welcome and nothing was too much trouble. My room was spacious with a shower and wc and it was all very clean however I hope I don't offend but in my honest opinion I felt the bed linen had seen better days and needed to be changed. The breakfast was lovely especially the homemade bread and marmalade. Colin kindly took me to the wedding and picked me up. They even gave my car a little clean over when I left how amazing is that. Overall well recommended at a great price. Little hint if you can book directly with them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of June, like other visitors were greeted by tea and cake. Linda & Colin made us feel very welcome. Our bed was a king size and very comfortable, breakfast was filling and tasty and we were given a wide choice. Their gardens are so relaxing it really made the visit complete, No place within walking distance for evening meal but we travelled a few miles to the Lowfield for food , very good

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed for two nights in April. The hosts are very welcoming - lovely to have tea/coffee and cake on arrival. My bed had a very comfortable mattress, but the bed linen was a bit iffy and the duvet was polyester. The towels are old and too small. The decor is dated (avocado loo and basin, white shower!), but my room was large and comfortably furnished with lovely views. Hospitality tray was nice, but fresh milk was in the fridge in the kitchen and I didn't fancy going through the house in my night clothes to find it!

We didn't like having to order breakfast the night before; the breakfasts were excellent - fresh fruit, dried fruit, cereals, yoghurt, selection of fruit juices, generous cooked breakfast and lots of toast, coffee, and tea and yummy homemade marmalade.

Linda and Colin were helpful with ideas of places to visit and recommendations for dinner out.

Room Tip: The upstairs bedrooms have low ceilings - no good if you are more than about 5'9!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in March 2010. As we were from Australia we couldn't pay a deposit at the time, but the owners were friendly enough to keep the booking regardless and trusted that we would turn up. They stayed awake late for us as we had gotten lost but were very friendly and welcoming when we arrived. We ordered breakfast and it was ready on time exactly as ordered. Unfortunately we had to leave early the next day but we would've loved to have stayed longer. The house was very charming, clean and cosy. After many nights in not so cosy hostels the comfy beds and hot shower were a welcome change at that time of year. We would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: We used the family room and I would definitely recommend this as it has an ensuite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed over night in the large family room. It was ideal for our needs with a good clean bathroom. The style is a little tired and the room on the cool side but don't let that put you off as it is great value with comfortable beds and a perfect breakfast.

Our hosts, Linda and Colin were welcoming and location and car parking excellent for us. Would use again if in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed in this marvellous little B&B for four nights during the summer. I had an exceptionally warm welcome from the owners. Nothing was too much trouble for them from the welcoming drink and cake in the orchard to breakfast and advice in the morning. This is not a conventional B&B and Barley Mow House has had a varied history including being a pub in the past. So do not expect a conventional layout! The rooms were comfortable and the view from my window was certainly stunning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Rescently (from the time of this review) 2 friends of mine and myself staid at the Barley Mow House buring our stay in Shrewsbury. We were giving a warm greating by the owners and their cat, Sidney. The building itself is a part of the local history, and much of the origional structure still remains. The home cooked breakfast was a delight, more so the scrambled eggs! The certinly deserve all the S\stares on their AA raiting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barley Mow House? Share your experiences!