“Perfect honeymoon hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pantai Kok
Perth
“Perfect honeymoon hotel”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed here for 8 days and loved every moment. We were made to feel so welcome the moment our driver picked us up. We were upgraded to a beautiful room where we surprised with a complimentary bottle of wine to start of our honeymoon. The room service is fast and efficient and the menu is very extensive. The pool was amazing. We spent many days just lazing about. The pool is so big that no one gets in your way and you feel like you have it to yourself. If you don't feel like eating at the hotel, there is a marina - (1 min walk) that has many resturants to choose from. We didn't do much but pure relaxation but if you want to do activities, I would definitely recommend hiring a car (not expensive at all through the hotel) and explore the island. We did a private boat door across the Mangrove River which was awesome. We chose to do the cable carts on the foggiest day which was a disappointment . If you do that- plan ahead with weather. I would recommend this place for people who don't want to do much but enjoy well deserved R n R. We'll definately try to come back one day.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed May 2, 2014

one word; intoxicating. The property is of somewhat colonial design with exquisite mosaic floor tiles. Right from the moment that you enter till you leave, you are treated as a special guest by all the staff. We stayed in viceroy room with sea view & it was a large room with a balcony. Bathroom was great and so was the decor of the whole room. One should have the Danna swimming pool experience even if one does not know how to swim. Food was great, especially the way it was served; I had interesting discussions with the cheff. The small market adjacent to it has few restaurants, a laundry, a convenient shop, a tour outlet & a taxi stop. We wish we could have stayed more.

Room Tip: opt for room with sea view having balcony cordoned off from the adjacent balconies to enjoy the star...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zubair A
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed at The Danna for 5 nights on our way home from Australia. Personally for me I thought it was the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in and the service is second to none. If you like very ultra-modern hotels then maybe it's not quite your scene, but for me the colonial style was perfect, classy and elegant. Our room, a Merchant Room, 225, was large, extremely comfortable and clean with a beautiful bathroom with 'his and her' basins.

Breakfasts in the restaurant were a feast and simply heaven. To sit there looking out to the infinity pool, the chef having cooked my eggs benedict with spinach and smoked salmon and a glass of champagne was sheer bliss and that was besides the beautiful fresh range of fruit, yoghurts, cereals, juices, full buffet of curries, vegetable rices, chinese noodle section with chef, Japanese sushi range, sandwiches, cakes and pastries, beef in peppercorn sauce, poached salmon in lemon sauce, soups, breads, tea and coffee etc. etc. etc. Magnificent! My husband could have sat there for hours - we certainly took our time some mornings and then skipped lunch altogether sometimes.

Lying on a lounger by the pool was even more of a taste of paradise - especially the loungers in the pool when it was really hot and humid. Towels are ready for you on the loungers and the waiters every so often bring you complimentary cold perfumed flannels, little pots of fresh fruit, cold bottles of water and various snacks like Samosas. Twice we had a light lunch in the cafe, again overlooking the pool, when we could manage a sandwich after the amazing breakfasts. The pool is stunning, apparently the largest infinity pool on the island, and in those temperatures it was like getting into bath water - again bliss!

We tended to dine out in the evenings on the harbour just for a change - we dined twice at Mare Blu which we thought was excellent and good value for food and wine, and once in Privelege which felt more like 'fine dining' but although my husband enjoyed his Steak Tenderloin I didn't enjoy my Lambshank so personally I preferred Mare Blu - their lamb cutlets were superb. We didn't try the Tapas place on the corner as it didn't seem very popular when we were there. One night, when we were both too tired, we stayed in and had room service and watched a film/CD complimentary from reception. I was amazed - I thought the food would turn up on a tray as usual, but a waitress arrived with an entire table to put in our room. I'd only ordered tomato soup (as I was craving something homely, simple, small and normal) and my husband Spaghetti Bolognese, but we sat there and enjoyed our meal with a bottle of red from the local wine shop at the Harbour and enjoyed the film - it was very relaxing and of course very reasonable. Well - we had spent a lot of money on our trip!

We had to force ourselves to leave The Danna, but one day we did the cable car trip which is definitely not for those 'scared of heights' as I believe it has the steepest single span in the world or something - amazing views of the whole of Langkawi from the very top and rather strange oriental village below with a mixture of shops, cafes and activities. It was very busy the day we went and we were told we would have to wait an hour in the queue for the cable car, or pay a lot extra for express boarding, but we waited and the queue only took half an hour so not too bad. Another day, we had a private tour of the island with one of the Danna drivers, called Mie, who was absolutely perfect for what we wanted - he tailored the tour to suit and spoke great English - it was very interesting. It was organised by Igor, the concierge, who again was superb and very nice and helpful - apparently he was from Madrid and had lovely Spanish eyes.

So, all in all, we had an amazing time. I would love to go back, it's a pity it's not 2 hours away from our local airport instead of 14 hrs 40 mins!

Having said all this, we stayed in March when the hotel was only 40% occupied, so it was pretty quiet so no problems getting a lounger and the weather was fantastic - I think we only saw rain for one evening. But possibly, as I read on one previous review, it may have been a very different experience if it had rained a lot more as the hotel is built in an open style around an inner courtyard garden so when it does rain it tends to come into the corridors a bit. Of course, it wasn't a problem for us.

Room Tip: Possibly the rooms overlooking the pool would be more popular. Ours 225 had a side view with a more...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cowbridgelady1
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is an excellent hotel. Can't find anything to say negative about the whole experience, great staff, good service, clean, well maintained, quality throughout. I stayed with my wife who can be fussy at times but this was a true 5star experience and she had nothing to complain about in the five days we were there. I know that anything we could have wanted would have been addressed immediately.
If you want a relaxing break in luxurious surroundings then this is for you. We had a Marina facing room which was huge with a very large private terrace.
Pool is great and so warm, pool bar food was good with very generous portions, beach was clean in front of the hotel (not so much to the left though where there was a lot of washed up debris a few people with some trash bags could tidy this up in an hour or two).
The hotel is between two mountain ranges and the clouds did gather in the afternoon on the tops. It did not seem to affect the hotel at all as the wind blew them inland away from us giving us great weather all the time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Basically I don't really go for Colonial type of hotel but staying at The Danna have change my perception. The Danna was awesome. Our room was being upgrade to Marina Room and the size is great, bed was very comfortable and even the extra bed given is also comfortable. Thanks to Ms Sharifah , the GM Mr Pascal Emile & Mr. Hafiz Hashim. Buffet breakfast was good. Service was excellent. My kids loves the pool and the Kids Club so much. It is just that not much activity as shown in the list due only my son was the only one there. Will definitely come again to The Danna for my next trip.

Room Tip: Go for Marina Room. The room & balcony are large.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Noorhafizahashim
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Exceptional service and real pampering during our 4 day/ 3 night stay. From the time we checked in (with the welcome drink and massage!) until the time we regrettably had to leave, the staff at the Danna made us feel like royalty. The pool was absolutely amazing and the breakfast to die for. If you want some pampering at a very reasonable price don't go past the Danna. We are already dreaming about our next visit!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank 514NeilH
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a very late review, but I feel bad not giving it a review as the The Danna was a superb hotel and amazing staff who helped us organise all the different activities. The staff was really helpful and were ready to help us enjoy our experience. The food especially the breakfast was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel and assure you, you will not regret your decision. we would certainly be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang

Been to The Danna Langkawi, Malaysia? Share your experiences!