“Loved it!”

Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Virgil
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Found Hope Lake Lodge on Groupon and decided to try it. Room and waterpark were very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Lobby has a large stone fireplace and sitting area- nice place to warm up after skiing with a glass of wine or bite to eat. However, food was not terrific, but not terrible. Kids loved swimming in outdoor pool while it was snowing. Pool area was well staffed with very attentive lifeguards, who were constantly scanning all corners of pools- great peace of mind since we have a 4 yr old. Greek Peak skiing was a lot of fun. Magic carpet made it so nice for children to learn without having to get on lift. Instructors were terrific with our 4 yr old. Plenty to do for nonskiers also. Will definitely go back!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MA C
There are newer reviews for Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center

Reviewed March 15, 2014

After reading previous reviews about this resort I decided that I was going to complete based on the moment we arrived to the time we left. Some reviewers were very petty with what they were upset with (not enough water pressure, kids should not be allowed in the hottub, etc) My biggest concern was the complaint about the staff not being polite. When we arrived March 11th we were greeted by a super friendly staff member named Rachel. Check in was super smooth and we could not get over how accomodating Rachel was to us. She was a perfect person to have greeting people as they arrive. We stayed in the Roaring Brook Suite and were amazed at the amount of room we had considering we had 5 adults and 1 child with us. It was very clean and the decor was fantastic. The water pressure is fine in the showers and weak in the faucets but they are trying to save water so expect it. The kitchen had everything we needed for the 4 day stay and they cleaning staff was awesome and understanding when it came to times to clean. We hit the waterpark 2 of the days and it was great. Our 7 year old son had an amazing time. We took advantage of the facilities as well enjoying a swim in the outdoor pool and relaxed in the outdoor hottub. Everyone we spoke said how much fun they were having and how great the resort was. When you come don't have expectations of a huge waterpark, because after all it is in a hotel, how big can it be!! It was a perfect size and not too busy even though the resort was at 80-85 percent capacity. The games room was large and my son and our friends kids had a blast playing the games. The snack bar at the pool was great and had a good selection of foods. Towels were always available. Overall the waterpark was loads of fun!! The last day we hit the slopes and again were impressed. We are all avid skiers and despite the weather had a fun time at the hill. The hill is not overly challenging but very fun for what we wanted. The lodge itself is dated but still very clean and serves its purpose. The restaurant upstairs is gorgeous. Food selection is good and prices are fine. We were upset we missed wing night as so many people spoke about how good it was. We will get it on our next trip. We also passed on the mountain coaster and zip lines although we drove by it and it looks like a ton of fun. Overall this resort was great and there was not one staff member who did not take the time to say hi or ask how our stay was going. Management should be very proud of who they have hired. Thanks so much for a great trip!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank stwalman
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in Feb 2014 and couldn't have been happier. We got a real estate deal which made it very affordable and included passes to just about everything. My two boys ages 6 and 9 loved it all!
Pros: love, love, loved the adventure center (tubing and mountain coaster), the small but really fun water park, the indoor/ outdoor pool that is heated was a big hit to swim outdoors in Feb, the spa ( my husband and I had one of the best massages we ever had), they also offered child care!

Cons: not too many. All rooms have queen beds and I wished they had bigger, more comfortable ones, the heating system had a mind of its own and dropped the temp at night (got chilly), food was not the best and took way too long.

Overall, We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank barbbel
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed at the Alpha Circle condos across the street with four friends. The condo was stylish and comfortable. We were pleased to find out that a free visit to the hot tub in the water park was included in our stay, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Unfortunately, our spa experience was a downside. First, the staff didn't answer the phone until the third time we called, and my friend's message for the aesthetician was never returned. When we had our services, none of us found the staff to be very friendly or helpful. For example, before my therapeutic massage, I was asked if I had ever used the infrared sauna before. I said no, but no explanation of how it works was provided. I had also indicated that I would like music during my session, but I was left on my own to figure out how to use the in-sauna CD player. The massage was fine, but the experience was not accompanied by the kind of service I would expect from a resort spa. Overall, Greek Peak was great, and we enjoyed our weekend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Crystal S
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was a family Christmas gift, there were seven of us and we originally booked the Split Rock suite. When we arrived, we inquired about other options that would afford a little more privacy and we were given the Eagle's Nest for no additional charge. Sam, the person checking us in, asked if we would be skiing because if so, we could get our lift tickets there for a good savings, which we did. The accommodations were very nice, clean and well appointed. According to the manager, they were at 85% occupancy the weekend we were there yet it never felt crowded. There is a lot to do - skiing, tubing, alpine coaster and waterpark all right there so it spreads people out. All of the staff we encountered were pleasant and went out of their way to be helpful. The same could be said for the Adventure Park and ski area. We ate dinner in our suite but had the buffet breakfast in the restaurant. It was fairly basic but for $10.95 is was perfect.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend and are thinking of making this an annual family Christmas gift.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Michele Z
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is an absolute joke. To tell you everything that went wrong in our 2 night stay here would take way too much time and they've already wasted enough of mine. We were treated more like an inconvenience to them than actual paying customers. Even after getting a "great deal" on the room from Groupon I still feel 100% that my 5 friends and I were STIFFED. We were honestly waiting for someone to come around a corner with a camera and microphone and tell us we were on a prank show. The staff (managers especially) were completely incompetent and it felt like they didn't care at all or were just huge airheads. With every "unfortunate event" we were told the "real manager" wasn't in and to talk to Bonnie in the morning. Well I'm convinced this "Bonnie" character doesn't exist because every time we were told to go see her she would be nowhere to be found. I arrived at hope lake lodge with the expectation of having a fun, relaxing ski weekend with my fiance and our 4 friends. I left feeling like they insulted my intelligence and put a damper on what was to be a nice getaway. I've stayed at all kinds of resorts and hotels, ranging from dingy motels to 5-star ritz carltons; I know good service when I see it and I know the difference between a staff that tries hard and is just having bad luck and a staff that simply doesn't care. This staff could care less. Worst customer experience of my life, by far.

The mountain was great and our half day of skiing was fun, but if I ever drove up to Cortland to go skiing again I'd be better off paying some college kids to let me sleep on their futon. I'd probably run into much of the staff on campus anyway. I would recommend Hope Lake Lodge to my worst enemies and that's about it. Awful experience.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book it somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Geoff L
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I am extremely fussy and this hotel was amazingly clean, amazing staff and amazing overall experience! The food in the hotel restaurant is a tad pricey but most of the suites have a fully equipped kitchen. The waterpark was fun for the kids...being from FL, it wasn't anything new but what child doesn't love a waterpark?! The hot tub with outside area was very neat! You are warm in the water with the snow coming down! By far, I would recommend this to any family!! The ski slopes are right across the street with a hotel shuttle available as transport. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank HandM2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virgil
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
Best Western Plus Finger Lakes Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Courtyard Ithaca Airport/University

Been to Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center? Share your experiences!