“Our favourite restaurant in Hanmer”

No.31 Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The former "Laurels" Restaurant re-opened its doors in May 2012, as "No.31 Restaurant & Bar", an A la Carte Restaurant specializing in modern European/New Zealand Cuisine. The restaurant is set in a quaint character cottage on the main street of Hanmer Springs. French doors open out to a lovely courtyard for alfresco dining and an outside bar leaner for pre-dinner drinks/cocktails in the warmer months. Inside the restaurant it is very homely, with an open fire, wooden floors and candle-lit tables. Award winning chef/owner, Michael van de Wiel ( previous chef/owner at "The Old Post Office Restaurant", Hanmer Springs, for 12 years). Fully Licensed and NOT BYO. Reservations Recommended.
Reviewed June 17, 2018

We have eaten here a number of times and each time we have a fabulous meal. The service is excellent and the log fire very welcoming on such a cold night. The slow cooked Rib of Beef just fell of the bone and was delicious, as was my husband’s Confit of Duck. We will be back again next time we visit Hanmer!

1  Thank Kildrummy123

Reviewed June 11, 2018

This restaurant is by far the best in town. The food choices are fabulous and the service is outstanding, wonderful setting and always have the best meals ever here, go ahead and treat yourself you most certainly will not be disappointed, very highly recommend

1  Thank bowdomain
Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner here. The menu is varied and classy. The portion sizes were not massive but they were sufficient and elegantly plated.

1  Thank richam6364
Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

The food is ok but overall it’s not special. The desert menu is very predictable and the wine list limited.

Reviewed June 6, 2018

I have recently spent a few days in Hanmer Springs with my husband and we enjoyed our time there. This is known as the best restaurant in town and we booked in to eat here on our last night. It's a lovely restaurant (in an old house) with nice ambience and nice staff. We had excellent service throughout the evening. I would really like to rate this as 4/5 instead of 3/5 and the only reason I can't quite give it a 4 is that my venison was quite tough. My main meal was otherwise very nice with nice flavours and accompaniments but the tough venison wasn't great. As a starter we both had the scallops which were lovely. Hubby had the lamb main which he did enjoy but also felt it was something you could make at home...I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing however. We both had lovely desserts. So, overall it was very nice but it was a fail on the venison. That said, I would still visit again and recommend it.