“Excellent Food”

No.31 Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The former "Laurels" Restaurant re-opened its doors in May 2012, as "No.31 Restaurant & Bar", an A la Carte Restaurant specializing in modern European/New Zealand Cuisine. The restaurant is set in a quaint character cottage on the main street of Hanmer Springs. French doors open out to a lovely courtyard for alfresco dining and an outside bar leaner for pre-dinner drinks/cocktails in the warmer months. Inside the restaurant it is very homely, with an open fire, wooden floors and candle-lit tables. Award winning chef/owner, Michael van de Wiel ( previous chef/owner at "The Old Post Office Restaurant", Hanmer Springs, for 12 years). Fully Licensed and NOT BYO. Reservations Recommended.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Our menu choices here were faultless, both the lamb and venison dishes were delicious and cooked to perfection and the bottle of local Greystone Pinot was delightful. The restaurant has a nice cosy atmosphere with the open fire and local artwork adorning the walls, I do have to agree with a previous reviewer on the naff LED candles though!

The staff were pleasant, although the waiters' attempt at upselling a different bottle of wine from the one we choose from the list was not well executed....merely confusing. Knowledge is power and he didn't seem to know what the difference was between the one we choose and the one he was offering us.

Would highly recommend a visit whilst in Hanmer.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Simply perfect. Beautiful, flavoursome food, perfect service.

If I'm picky, the room was slightly too cool for my liking - it was 0 degrees outside!

I suspect you can't go wrong with anything on the menu - we had a few dishes and everything was wonderful.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I dined last night for my wife's birthday. The booking was easy, the reception when we arrived was warm and the restaurant was warm and well laid out.

The menu also comes with a specials list and it was honestly the hardest decision we have had to make. The food is simply devine! We chose the salmon for entree which was heavenly. We matched the main with a bottle of Muddy Waters Haresbreath Pinot Noir.

The mains were so well presented and simply delicious. We even decided to have desert which we hardly ever do. And then we had coffee liqueur and a cocktail. A little indulgent I know but it was so good!!

The only thing, and I am talking really really small, is that the candle was a LED fake Tea light candle. #31, you did such a great job with everything, I suggest to make it just that little bit more special, use real candles. I know it's a really small thing in the great scheme of things.

Well done.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We saw the restaurant on the way into town and decided on a whim to try it out so rang and made a reservation. It was a good decision the reception was warm and friendly, the service was professional and accommodating and the food was fantastic and the serving was just the right amount. We will go back

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Sensational food, fabulous service and beautiful local wines. We couldn't fault it! Our compliments to the chef, we will most definitely return!