“nice...”

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Auckland, New Zealand
“nice...”
Reviewed December 2, 2010

The Heritage hotel is situated perfectly and looks great from the street. The room was nicely decorated and clean, gorgeous view of the hills and forest.
We found the bed quite comfortable and nice touches like 2 arm chairs, flat screen tv and ipod dock and a shower with fantastic preasure.
We found the check in staff very friendly and accommodating.

Unfortunately our room looked over the outside court yard and while the view was lovely every time i looked down all I could see was cigarette butts. also there is no ventilation apart from the window. and the noise from patrons drinking at the restaurant was very loud so we decided to forgo fresh air in favor of a quiet room. (It was very still and we were talking with one of the shop owners in the town and they did say it usually is quite windy this time of year)
We had 1 dinner and 1 breakfast in the restaurant. The food was good but sadly the atmosphere was not as good. Elevator music, need I say no more? It just needed to feel a bit more fun/ classy, especially for a saturday night.
We DID have a nice time though and there were alot of nice things about the place too.
All and all, I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HeritageHotelsNZ, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Zekenz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us in Hanmer Springs. I am very pleased to hear about the positive aspects of your experience and will certainly pass these onto my team. I do however note your comments regarding the background music in the restaurant and will discuss this with my food and beverage manager.

With regard to the airflow in the rooms, you will be happy to hear that we have just purchased individual cooling fans for all of our rooms which I believe will assist, as we have been experiencing some very warm temperatures even this early in the summer.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hanmer Springs in the not too distant future and thank you once again for your feedback.

Tony Howlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Nelson NZ
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We wanted a couple of nights stay in a calm, quiet place from which to walk,
read, swim, eat and sleep. The Heritage at Hanmer Springs fitted the bill perfectly.
The room was well equipped and everything was tidy and clean.
We had a marvellous time there and the staff looked after us well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, January 11, 2015
Dear sherwick

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your review.

As the new General Manager at the hotel, our focus moving forward will be on providing the best possible service and experience for our guests.

Reviewed October 17, 2010

Over-priced for the rating of four star plus. If the rooms were as large as the bath-room ( which is very spacious it would be very satisfactory). Did have a good sleep and bed very comfy though. Found the breakfast adequate with not too many frills and service good.

Dear pops37

Reviewed October 16, 2010

The outdoor surrounding of the heritage are stunning with great gardens and pebbled areas. Having a drink in the sun outside is fantastic. Where this hotel lets itself down is its decor. For a $170 a night room this hotel is in serious need of a makeover. Has real potential but not worth the money at their rates.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HeritageHotelsNZ, Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Dear Ben and Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our outdoor gardens and patio area. I do also note your comments regarding the need for refurbishment and would like to assure you that we are very focused in this area. Over the last 18 months we have been focusing primarily on our bedrooms; repainting, replacing drapes, updating lighting and purchasing flat screen TV's and iPod docks etc.
With much of this work now complete the next phase is to replace carpet and remodel our reception area which will take place over the next 8 months.
I am sure that these improvements will assist in providing our guests with a much improved experience and take advantage of the natural beauty of the building and our surroundings.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kindest regards,
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Booked into the Heritage Hanmer Springs for a high-end relaxing weekend, taking advantage of the hotel's position close to the springs. Very nice room-service meal on the first night; pity the maids forgot to clean and service the room the next day! A very apologetic staff member however gave us fresh towels, teabags and toiletries. Then we found out the wireless access was charged after a short time-limit.

We did not use the restaurant (other than for room service) or other facilities so can't comment, but we won't be paying $250 not to have our bed made by Heritage hotels in future!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HeritageHotelsNZ, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Dear KKMuspratt

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us, I am very disappointed to hear that my Housekeeping team failed to service your room during your stay. This is certainly not the standard of service we strive to achieve and maintain and I apologise sincerely for your experience, I have shared this with my team in order to prevent any recurrences. I also note your comment regarding Wireless Internet limits, I am happy to report that we have arranged with our provider to increase this complimentary access considerably, and have just been notified that the new limits have gone into effect as of 21 October. I am sure this will provide a much improved benefit for our guests.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience our usual high standard and once again thank you for your feedback.

Christchurch
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Very Clean room. good size. although i have heard some of the rooms are quite small. really nice bath amenities. We were on the second floor. good service from the staff. would recommend to others who want a nice relaxing night away.

Dear Sophiemralph,

Thank you for your positive feedback, I am very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant and relaxing stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I've just returned from a 3-day spa package staying with my husband at the Heritage Hotel (checked in Friday checked out Sunday). The hotel itself presents nicely and is in a good location not far from the Hanmer Springs pools.

But I did not find my stay comfortable.

Early Saturday morning I woke to the sound of doors continuously slamming. I don't know whether it was inconsiderate guests entering/leaving their rooms, or opening/closing the door separating the hotel wing from the reception area. Regardless, it was very noisy.

I also cannot say that the bed and pillows left me with a restful night's sleep. Instead, I woke up with tense neck muscles, which even a couple of days at the thermal pools and massage could not relieve.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear dmg20101

Thank you for your review of the Heritage Hanmer Springs. We sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your review.