“Okay for a pub.”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Buffalo wings that we had for entree were soggy and lukewarm however our mains were okay. My husband had the steak and it was perfect. I had the filo parcels which were kind of bland and too creamy - also didn't like that they were full of celery which is out of season in early january - eek! Not bad for pub food though.
Good kids area with dvd.

There are newer reviews for Monteiths Brewery Bar Hanmer Springs

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I went in ready for 3 courses, but only managed 2 because I was stuffed, and there was still food left on my plate!

Wide choice on the menu, should suit most tastes. I had scallops and prawns for my starter, followed by beer battered fish and chips. Both were fantastic.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We came in for brunch on Sunday, upon sitting down we asked the waitress if we were able to order some drinks, only to be informed we had to order at the bar. We asked if ordered food at the bar as well, only to be told that this wasn't the case. We got the distinct impression that by us being at the restaurant/bar that we were an inconvenience to the waitress.

The other thing that I find frustrating about these types of restaurants is the menus from a certain time to a certain time, breakfast for example. The cut-off was 11:30am - we wanted to order at 11:35, I think there may have been two other tables dining so it was not busy. But as it was passed 11:30 we couldn't order, I am unsure how eggs could be tricky to cook five minutes passed cut off - but so be it - just shows another lack of customer service.

Once we got over that little hurdle, waited for our food, which can only be described as over-priced and bland. Upon paying for the meals and drinks the price was astronomical, prices one would expect for New York, not rural New Zealand. As we left it transpired we had paid twice for some items, so back we went for to get our money back - the bartender said "I thought you'd paid twice for that" - so why not check and then let us know? You don't expect to trawl through your invoice.

As we were leaving the same bartender was obnoxious to the point of embarrassing pretty much yelling out "thank you!" and then repeating numerous times as he got no response.

There are better places out there, I would steer well clear.

The one good thing is that if the staff weren't so rude, and things so over-priced, the place itself was pretty good. A bit of training in the kitchen and on the floor wouldn't go amiss.

2  Thank eating_eater
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went here twice while in Hanmer Springs. Had great meal and my husband also enjoyed their range of beers!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Food was cooked as we asked it to be. Perfect medium steaks.
See you next time we there. Sevice was excellent, nice clean table. Happy customers.