“Yum but a bit expensive”

Saints Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This Restaurant of ours is always buzzing with tourists, locals, families and groups of friends. We've got big comfy booths, spread out tables and long outside wooden benches for those warm evenings. Relax with a drink or famous cocktail, shoot some pool, or enjoy our restaurant where you may choose from our celebrated gourmet pizzas, unique stonegrill, and classic a-la-carte menu. For those of you with children, please bring them with you as we are absolutely child friendly. Kids can choose from their own menu and colour to their hearts content. We also offer the great taste of Saints through our takeaway service offering not only our gourmet pizzas but our full a-la-carte menu. Come and join us as our team would love to look after you.
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Got a large wood fired pizza and one coffee which came to $35 (quite expensive) between two. Got half Moroccan chicken and half italian. Moroccan was defiantly our favourite but could do with more yogurt. The pizza base was thin and delicious and the cheese was so stringy and yum. Service was good. Was more a pub than a restaurant but still nice and had good modern music playing. Although it was expensive the one large pizza was more than enough to fill two people.

1  Thank jill0791

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Always a favorite spot when we travel to Hanmer. The staff were fantastic with our 1yo daughter and the pesto & sweet chilli loaf never disappoints.

3  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Apon booking we were told to book early as there was a big group coming in and we couldn't be assured of getting our meal early if we waited for them toorder first. I appreciated this.
On arrival we were seated at our table and again told to order early. We ordered from one waitress then had another two follow to take our order! Overall we were served by a total of 5 waiters! Why they don't have a station each is beyond me.
When our entre was finished the table was cleared immediately then within minutes our mains appreared.No chance of a leisurely meal.
The noise was horrendous as the large group were very loud and at one stage two of the party were sitting onthe floor being stupid. The waitstaff didn't seemed perturbed by this.
Our mains arrived and my husband ordered the lamb on the hot plate. It was a small thick piece. He was a chef at a very busy cafe bar at one stage. He was not impressed by the cut of meat. Once seared on both sides it took being cut into tiny pieces to be cooked thoroughly then becoming quite tough.
The plate comprised of the hotplate in the middle with a side helping of french fries and salad on the other side. The salad was warm from lettuce leaves touching the hotplate and there was no dressing. As he was nibbling on the fries after I had finished my pasta dish the waitress came passed and grabbed my plate and his ASD HE WAS STILL EATING OFF IT! He said hey i haven't finished yet.She apologised and someone else came and retrieved it a few mins later.
I had ordered a cocktail early on and then a diff waiter came and informed me as the bar was busy with this big group just arrived there would not be any cocktails served. I accepted this but was a bit miffed. Within 10 mins I noticed a tray of 4 cocktails going out to someone else in the restaurant. I was not impressed.
We said nothing about our experience to the staff when we paid the bill which I thought was very extravagant. I ordered two Canadian Club & ginger beers, I was charged $29 for two! I would have been better off having cocktails (if allowed). They charged me $12 for 2 little bottles of ginger beer which should have been included in the price of the spirit as a mixer. After it didn't take two bottles to fill my glass surely!?
So overall after looking forward to trying this restaurant for the first time we found it very unacceptable.

1  Thank vicki028
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We ordered pizzas. It was quite pricey and the place was very noisey and loud. Some of the seating was like picnic tables. Ok. Lamb pizza was good.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Very good service here, our waiter was very friendly and attended to our needs quickly as we were rather hungry. The chicken and cranberry pizza yummmm, the base must be homemade it was delicous, we had a great spot in the sun and the CC n Dry kept a coming. Desserts were yum and would definitly be back.

3  Thank louiselamour