“Decent food, generous portions”
Review of Captain Mikes - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Fish & Chips
Description: Fish & Chips
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Maybe a little too generous. 4 scoops of chips for 8 people left us with at least a scoop going uneaten. The pieces of fish were pretty big. Paua fritter excellent, potato fritter done well. Yes, there's oil on the newspaper when you unwrap it, but the fish was not soggy or dripping with oil as it has from some other places.

Pretty much exactly what you hope to get when you get fish & chips :)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Right on the main street - had a simple fisf and chips for two. Add a good bottle of wine from the local bottle shop and you have a great meal for less than $30. Even the wife was impressed!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a very busy and modestly priced take away restaurant. Most of the menu is geared towards fish and sea food. The fish and chips I bought had lots of chips unfortunately the fish was only partly cooked and as it was late at night I couldn't be bothered going back to have it recooked.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Some good value honest cooked food here with absolutely vast portions, perhaps a little bit greasy, but overall a very good place to pick up a quick, warm meal

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I were at Hanmer last night and after six hours soaking in the hot pools we were pretty hungry. After wandering around town I spotted Captain Mikes with its yellow decor and comfy couches and asked my other half if she felt like 'chups'. She was in a chippy mood too and so we went in and checked the prices which were bloody cheap for Hanmer. Plus you get to see the size of the fish you want. I chose large fish and chips and the lovely lady serving suggested we share one scoops of chips. I was having none of that being a hungry bunny and seeing the petite size of my lady she said half a scoop would be perfect for her. She then asked us what kind of seasoning we wanted. Lemon Salt and Salt n' Vinegar we went for. We sat on the cosy couch and perused a magazine and watched the news and within ten minutes our food was ready. Brilliantly big potions served with a big smile and natural Kiwi wit. Crunchy chips and delicious fresh fish. This made our day! We sat outside at their little table eating on a warm August night. When we left the lady gave us a cheery goodbye and little wave. I said to my other half I'd leave them a good review on Trip Advisor, and that is what I have done.
Cheers Captain Mikes. We will DEFINITELY be back!