“Had Better”

Powerhouse Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My partner and I had brunch here and were greeted by a rather abrupt female waiter. I don't expect serving staff to bow and scrape but surely a smile and being polite isn't a big ask? I noted a group of men at an adjacent table commented on her attitude too. I ordered eggs benedict and scrambled eggs on toast for my partner, with two cappuccinos in mugs. The meals were ok if a little pricey for what they were. The coffees were over half full of foam. Judging by how busy they were, I would say this cafe is popular with tourists, if not locals. I couldn't recommend it based on my experience.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Ordered the High Country Breakfast, and was not disappointed. Stacks of bacon, well seasoned scrambled eggs, a pork and beef patty and the most delicious whipped potatoes. Well priced for the amount of food on the plate and washed down with a good sized coffee. The place was very busy and turning people away, so make a reservation if you can. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

fresh salad, perfectly cooked salmon, huge delicious beef burger with lots of vegetables piled on, roasted potato chunks, great pesto, hummus and relishes, delicious baked goods that are gluten free

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Small cafe with excellent food and coffee (this said, most places in NZ seem to have great coffee). We ate a late brunch and early breakfast on our way in and out of Hanmer. Everything we ordered was delicious.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Had breakfast here every morning we were in Hanmer Springs. Really good food, generous amounts as well, and plenty of very tasty gluten free options.