“Delicious food!”

Powerhouse Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I decided to try this cafe for lunch on my last day in Hanmer on the recommendation of several locals. I got the vegetarian pizza verde and it was an excellent choice. Despite being rather busy for lunch, the pizza was ready in 20 minutes and very much worth the wait! The only downside was that it was extremely pricey at $22.

There are newer reviews for Powerhouse Cafe

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Been here before and not disappointed even though it was coffee only in the morning. Clean and tidy with good selection of food on display. Would have eaten there but needed to get going.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband & myself had breakfast as usual when visiting Hanmer Springs, we were both very disappointed with our meal, not only was it not the "original" breakfast this one was very highly seasoned with herbs,we found the meatball unpalatable,the potato was very squashy also highly herbed so much so neither of us could eat it. We are both sorry not to return to The Power house but we think it is time for a change.

1  Thank Wesley W
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Went for lunch with a friend after just moving back to the area and was looking forward to eating at what used to be one of my favourite Hanmer Springs restaurants. Ordered the veggie burger, dairy-free and egg-free, but when it arrived it had aioli drizzled all over it so double checked with the waitress that this was what I had ordered.

The waitress had poor English so I popped into see the chef who was rather short and snappy with me, informed me I 'should have specified 'vegan' as 'dairy-free is not the same as vegan' (which I am well aware of, having been a vegan for 10 years!) and that they 'cater for vegans' (although it doesn't say this on their menu). I said that I had specified 'dairy and egg-free' (i.e. vegan) but the waitress had only specified 'dairy-free' on the order.

The chef offered to make me a fresh meal which was a good size portion and indeed tasty but her attitude towards me and the way I was made to feel as a paying customer would prevent me from returning. I also work in hospitality and would never treat a paying customer with such hostility.

1  Thank littletravelbug1984
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was the first place we ever ate at in Hanmer, and we've been back several times since. The food is reliably good and the menu is varied. It's in a handy central location near the thermal pools.

1  Thank Ross Y