“Great Atmosphere”
Review of Hanmer Backpackers

Hanmer Backpackers
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in December while travelling New Zealand and it's probably one of my favourite hostels as the people were amazing. Tristan and Yoko (the couple that run the place) are incredibly friendly and will try their absolute best to help you out. The place is pretty small but there's a selection of rooms, 4 in the main house and two in some little out buildings right next door - everything is on the same plot of land.

There aren't too many frills but the place is warm and inviting, there's often free treats in the kitchen too, either fresh fruit or sometimes some baked treats, there were scones with homemade jam with whipped cream, cinnamon cookies and different fruit loafs while I was there!

In short if you're heading to Hanmer (which I suggest you do) it's a great place to stay and I'd definitely stay again if I was in the area!

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the bird nest in the garden If you stay in one of the rooms that aren't...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Hi Rachel,
Thank you very much much for your very kind review! We're happy you had a good time and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Free milk, free cupcakes, big variety of free spices,free oil, free icecream, free massage chair, cheap internet... clean and nice rooms.. and it's not even expensive! I haven't stayed at any other place in Hanmer Springs but if I were to come back this is definitely the place that I would go to. The hosts are really friendly and will help you plan your stay in Hanmer. I recommend!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you for your great review.
It's true that we offer little extra's like real coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, spices and a massage chair but you must have fallen with your nose in the butter with the free ice cream and cup-cakes! We regularly have home baked goodies for our guests and the occasional ice cream on hot days.
See you next time!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

It was a nice hostel, better than average for sure, but charging for wifi is an automatic black mark in my book, so I give it a 4 out of 5. I did like the massage chair though! The kitchen and staff were also nice, and the family en suite room was homey.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your nice feedback.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Very friendly, good facilities even had plunger coffee supplied free. rooms were clean and well maintained. Position close to village. off street parking and wifi available - small fee. The owners work hard to keep the service and standards high.

Room Tip: Larger accommodation at rear is less modern but has a separate bathroom and toilet. The rooms in the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I just had to write a review for this hostel because it is simply amazing! I only stayed for one night but I wish I could have stayed heaps longer! Tristan is so lovely, he is so helpful and nice, and actually takes an interest in the people who stay at the backpackers. You can see that the place is run by someone who has travelled as there is everything you need... and more! Perfect kitchen, great beds, lovely atmosphere, super clean, great location...everything is great! This place is the reason I love independent hostels that are run by people who know what it means to travel!! I can't recommend it enough! Thank you for a wonderful stay! I will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks a lot, we love having great guests like you!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I came with no booking and was a bit put off by having to call the owner when I arrived. But that's where the negatives stop. The owner turned up shortly after I called. Showed me around the place and all the amenities before accepting my booking and taking my cash. The place was really clean and I was lucky enough to get a doom to myself. All the beds had hot water bottles on them and you could put an extra duvet on if needed. The best part was probably the fully loaded spice rack. I'm yet to see any other hostel provide that. It was a real home away from home for me.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your great review. We're glad we could be a "home" for you during your travels.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, nice place.rooms are spacious. they even got the fire going at night to warm up the place, although i don't really think it needed it, it was pretty warm anyway.
there is off street parking, and i was on a motorbike so they even tried to make space under cover for me. I didnt require it, but it was nice they tried to go the extra mile for me.

• Stayed: September 2013