“One of the best hostels i've ever been to!”
Review of Hanmer Backpackers

Hanmer Backpackers
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I just had to write a review for this hostel because it is simply amazing! I only stayed for one night but I wish I could have stayed heaps longer! Tristan is so lovely, he is so helpful and nice, and actually takes an interest in the people who stay at the backpackers. You can see that the place is run by someone who has travelled as there is everything you need... and more! Perfect kitchen, great beds, lovely atmosphere, super clean, great location...everything is great! This place is the reason I love independent hostels that are run by people who know what it means to travel!! I can't recommend it enough! Thank you for a wonderful stay! I will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thanks a lot, we love having great guests like you!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I came with no booking and was a bit put off by having to call the owner when I arrived. But that's where the negatives stop. The owner turned up shortly after I called. Showed me around the place and all the amenities before accepting my booking and taking my cash. The place was really clean and I was lucky enough to get a doom to myself. All the beds had hot water bottles on them and you could put an extra duvet on if needed. The best part was probably the fully loaded spice rack. I'm yet to see any other hostel provide that. It was a real home away from home for me.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your great review. We're glad we could be a "home" for you during your travels.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, nice place.rooms are spacious. they even got the fire going at night to warm up the place, although i don't really think it needed it, it was pretty warm anyway.
there is off street parking, and i was on a motorbike so they even tried to make space under cover for me. I didnt require it, but it was nice they tried to go the extra mile for me.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for 1 week. The backpacker has several private rooms - 2 or 3 with ensuites and a room with no bathroom. There are alsoa couple of dorms that sleep 4 - 6. The owners are incredible, lovely and just all around nice people who go out of their way to be helpful and friendly.

EXTREMELY clean and tidy, kitchen immaculate and I think they vacuum the whole property every day. Plenty of cutlery, pots, pans and utensils. They provide free tea, coffee, hot chocolate and sugar/milk for your hot beverage. They also have a spice rack with about 30 spices for you to cook with...

Beds are proper beds/bunks with sheets, warm duvets and pillows. They give you hot water bottles, spare duvets. There is a wood burner so the place is never cold, even when the snow is 3 feet deep outside.

There is a free massage chair - a really good one unless you're over 6 foot/185cm tall in which case your neck will miss out.

Two living areas, NO TV - I kind of like no TV myself so can't complain but be warned if you're a junkie there is no TV there.

Located pretty much bang smack in the middle of Hanmer Springs

In summary I'd have to say this is priced like a hostel/backpackers but really isn't. Simply amazing. If you're a rowdy type looking to get on the booze with your mates it's probably not the place for you - quite respectable. Everyone else, why would you go anywhere else?

Cheers Tristan, Yoko and Shim

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris P
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your lengthy and impressive review. It was a pleasure having you in the hostel for the week and we are glad you enjoyed it too.
One note is that we only have 1 ensuite room, our 5 other rooms are with shared facilities.
We hope to see you return here one day.
All the best,
Tristan, Yoko and Shin

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hanmer Backpackers is a lovely hostel in a good location for the baths and the small town in general. The dorm is up in the apex of the house with beds rather than bunks. It feels very homely and rather alpine - like the hay loft of a Swiss chalet. The bathrooms were clean and the kitchen well equipped. I was very comfortable during my stay and would rate this as one of my favourite hostels during my tour of New Zealand.
Local activities I enjoyed the most were the baths and hiking with llamas (so cute).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NorthWestLondoner

We are happy your stay was nice and comfortable. Thank you for your very nice review.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We went to Hanmer for my 60th birthday. When we arrived Tristan wasn't about but had left me a note and put us into the double with ensuite. When we walked in there was a Happy Birthday note with a pile of chocolate beside the bed!! Having tea, coffee and especially milk supplied is really great when only staying a night, rather than being organised and on a trip, and the place is clean, airy, has a nice courtyard area and a very comfortable lounge upstairs. You are near enough to being in the middle of town and it is only a few minutes walk to everything.
By the way if you don't have your own transport make sure that you travel with Hanmer Tours. We were coming up with them and had a muddle with the dates. Edwin refunded the cost of our prepaid vouchers, gave us thermal pool tickets and made a very generous additional donation. I can not speak highly enough of his customer service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Contention
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for choosing our little hostel for your 60th birthday. We are happy we could contribute to your great stay in Hanmer. Edwin was impressed with your promotions as well, many thanks.
We'll see you again for your 61th (or sooner)?

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I only stayed here for 1 night at the end of my south island tour, but this was certainly up there with the best and I wish I had more time to stay longer.

I had a beautiful double room on the first floor of the main building. It was bright, well decorated and comfortable. The lounge area also on the first floor is really cosy with an excellent library / book exchange. There is also the added bonus of a wonderful massage chair.

The shared bathroom facilities were spotless and the showers excellent after a days hiking.

The owner wasn't around when I checked in, but made sure he introduced himself later which was a nice touch.

An excellent, well run and cared for hostel in the centre of Hanmer Springs with brilliant staff. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank leemwarren

Thank you for the very kind review. Always nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and rate us among the best. Due to your review (among others) we just received the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2013. Time for bubbles, cheers.
Tristan and Yoko