“Lovely overnight stay”

Select Braemar Lodge & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Just had the one night at Braemar and overall it was lovely.
Firstly the staff were very friendly and efficient.
Secondly our spa suite was really nice. Very large and well maintained with a very comfortable king sized bed.
There was a spa on our balcony and was clean.
Huge spa bath in bathroom too.
Good mini bar tea coffee facilities.
Restaurant food acceptable but not sensational as it should be for the cost.
Delicious dessert but beef and lamb mains over cooked and good cuts of meets almost ruined. Good selection of vegetables and well seasoned and presented.
The extra piece of rump supposedly slow cooked not good and not necessary on dish. If the beef and lamb had been cooked medium rare as requested then I would hv been very tempted to give an excellent result.
Will return

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MVS47
There are newer reviews for Select Braemar Lodge & Spa

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We loved our stay at Braemar. The secluded setting is great, you are a little way out of town but that didnt bother us. The room was very spacious and all the features blew us away with the gas fire, massive bed, ipod dock, free wifi, spa bath and lovely toiletries in the massive bathroom. The food in the restaurant was amazing, awesome presentation and delicious! All the staff were very friendly and attentive. The $100 voucher we were given on checkout will definately be used, I want to return again soon :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PipRush
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful location, impeccably clean and tidy.
This is our third stay in the last year
Beautiful rooms, fire was roaring and the bathrooms are stunning.
We went with two other couples and had an amazing time.
Loved dinner and breakfast
Well done

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2014

As an extensive traveller this was the best and biggest bedroom and bathroom I have ever stayed in. Superb with all the facilities you could want. Very comfortable bed and quiet room. Yes it is a little way out of town, so you do need a car, but still in my view well worth it. Not cheap but you know the price when you book so you know what to expect. Only had the light breakfast which was included in our rate, which was perfectly adequate. Seemed very quiet, hope it's doing alright! it deserves to.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here between Christmas and New Year and were generally disappointed with our stay. On an earlier visit to Hanmer we dropped by the property and were captivated by the serenity and isolation of the place and were looking for a relaxing time in a quality resort.
There did not seem to be a New Zealand staff member working there during our visit- all were Europeans and although they probably think their English is good, on a number of occassions we were not understood and the friendly and relaxed ways of New Zealand hosts was clearly absent from the Lodge.
The setting is idyllic but Braemar is about 10kms from Hanmer with no other facilities nearby. Having seen a van adorned with the Lodge logo on it, we thought there may well be a frequent shuttle service available to the Hanmer township but this proved not to be the case. We wanted to experience some of the local restaurants and thought that we would get the shuttle into town- in an unfriendly European way we were told that for some complex reason the manager was not providing the service at the time we wanted and ended up getting a taxi with a very friendly Dutchman. With the isolation of this place, I firmly believe the Lodge should provide a regular shuttle service, particularly for those wishing to visit local restaurants for evening dining. Maybe this tactic was in place to try and support their own overpriced restaurant?
While discussing the absence of a shuttle service, I was also taken back by the continual reference by the unfriendly European staff to the extra costs associated with everything we wanted to do. We were told the transfer into Hanmer would cost extra, use of the mountain bikes was extra etc. This place seemed to be more about what they could not do for us during our stay and we were paying over NZD$500/night!
The room was large and comfortable. However with the bad weather experienced during our stay, there was water leaking into the room from the ceiling. I told reception about the problem and was given a curt reply that the maintenance man would be right on to it; it was immediately apparent from the sincerity in the Euorpean receptionist's voice that she would not be doing anything about our complaint! Sure enough, the leak continued during our stay with sleep interrupted by the dripping of water from the ceiling on to the carpet. There was no discussion or apology from management, confirming our impression that nothing had been done about our complaint.
The small spa pool associated with our suite required cleaning- we have our own spa at home and know how these things need to be looked after. There was a "sliminess" associated with the pool and an odour indicating attention was long overdue.
A number of reviews have discussed the quality of the breakfast at the Lodge. The continental breakfast is included in the room price; cooked items are an extra cost. The continental breakfast is of poor quality and becomes monotonous. There is canned fruit, yoghurt, bread items and baking. The muffins and croissants were extremely average- McDonalds "McCafe" provides far better fare than Braemar! having stayed at a number of similar lodges in new Zealand, this was clearly not up to standard, and in my view for the price we were paying, all of the breakfast should have been included in the room price.
Apart from hanging out around the Lodge, and spa activities, there is essentially nothing to do here. We wanted to do some walking, as is popular in Hanmer but were told the land adjacent was all privately owned and this was not possible. Even if we wanted to use the mountain bikes at extra expense, there are no developed trails nearby. it just seems all wrong with Braemar lodge!

In summary, this place should be a lot better than it is. I wonder if under patronage is part of the problem, and this may well stem from the quality of the stay we experienced? In my view, an immediate improvement could be made by hiring some Kiwi staff with personality, improving the breakfast service, and providing a regular shuttle. Would we return- definitely no!

Room Tip: Stay at one of the newer ploaces in Hanmer township- far better value for money!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Director09, Owner at Select Braemar Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

We obviously thank your reviewer for taking the time to post their feedback on their stay and are only sorry that we did not measure up to their expectations, although during the same period we did receive 15 guest comment cards and 8 said we exceeded their expectattions and 7 said we met them. Unfortunately our 3 "Kiwi" staff were all off on holiday over the Christmas / New Year period but 6 out of the remaining 9 staff are English so communication hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem generally. Your reviewers suggestions are appreciated and where possible we will look at making changes in the New Year. Unfortuantely the weather in Hanmer at the time was probably the wettest in recent memory and we are having to re-roof part of the building to resolve the problem of leaking roof. We naturally apologise for the inconvenience.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Tucked away from the main village, the braemar lodge is a relaxing retreat. Considered amenities and service mean you can truly be on holiday!
The main downside being an unsealed road leading up to the lodge that will leave your car worse for wear :(

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I'm not usually given to writing reviews, but credit where it is due.

I booked three nights in the Medway Spa Suite as a surprise 40th birthday gift to my wife, as we rolled up the secluded driveway to the reception we immediately received a warm greeting by name from Tony, the general manager, from this personal touch I felt utterly assured that our stay would be one to remember.

When I initially booked our stay I contacted Braemar Lodge by email with a few questions on what I could organise as surprise little treats for my wife, within 5 minutes of my email a very helpful dialogue ensued with the staff who were so very attentive to my enquiries, at the end of which I felt utterly assured that my needs would be met, and met they were.

During the initial welcoming by Tony who happily took our luggage for us he very subtly hinted to my wife that shortly a little treat would occur, the first of many of which I had previously organised, he showed us to the suite all the while enquiring as to our plans for the stay, whether our trip was enjoyable, being very attentive without being overbearing. In the suite Tony described how all of the features worked including the outdoor private spa, the beautiful fireplace, the double needle jet shower and of course the fantastic double spa bath, and within 6 minutes of showing us our room he politely made his exit.

The suite was stunning, very generously proportioned, with perfect balance of furniture and comfort, my wife was so very overjoyed at the surprise and stated that this was the greatest suite she had ever had the good fortune to spend time in, and she has enjoyed some fabulous places in her time.

Within the hour of she went to her first treat in the spa section of the lodge, where she spent about 90 minutes being pampered, I of course decided to make good use of the amenities and spent a little time luxuriating in the excellent double shower which was very easy to operate thanks to Tony's instruction, it was marvellous!

My wife then sent for me to sit with her in the relaxation room in the spa area which too was lovely. Later we went to dinner and was attended to by a petit lady who showed us to our table with just the most stunning view of Hamner Springs incredible mountain range which was awash with beautiful sunshine, we enjoyed a fantastic evening meal and drinks and at all times felt that should we need anything at all we need just look in the right direction and our need would be met, and so we went to bed, which by the way was enormous and beautifully comfortable.

The next morning we arose feeling fresh and rested, we arrived for breakfast where we were attended by the most polite french gentleman I have ever met, and I've met a few. Breakfast was fresh from the oven croissants, fresh juice, perfectly filtered coffee and a hearty meal of bacon, sausage, eggs and fantastic hash browns (actually hash browns doesn't do it justice, this was a stack of potato, onion and cheesy bliss), after this we went off to explore Hamner Springs, which is just 12 minutes away and incredibly easy to find, we returned and more treats were in store for my wife, I waited in our suite taking lots of fantastic photographs from our outdoor area of the amazing vista. She returned even more blissed out and we whiled away the evening in the outdoor private spa watching the sun fall.

The next day was precisely as the last, attentive staff, an equally polite and friendly french lady, who made us feel so happy and comforted and genuinely like our happiness was her highest agenda, a perfect balance of light conversation and leaving us to our evening.

The final day was even better than the preceding, welcoming staff, gentle but brief conversation, fantastic food, some very personal touches to the evening meal, when we arrived back to our suite the final treat was a candlelit milk bath awaiting us with a scattering of petals, we both melted into the evening feeling truly rested and luxuriant.

Our final morning Tony met us to ensure that we had a pleasant stay, which of course as you just read we had. If the opportunity arises that we should be able to stay again then without a doubt we certainly shall.

Thank you to Tony and all your staff for giving my wife the most unforgettable and fabulous of 40th birthdays, she loved it, and so did I

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Jin-Hu