“100 % recommended, top choice!”
Review of Kakapo Lodge YHA

Kakapo Lodge YHA
“100 % recommended, top choice!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Peaceful yet central location. Friendly and caring staff who were very welcoming to our busy little family! Excellent cleanliness and a great overall vibe. Love the artwork. We will be recommending to all who are travelling to Hanmer Springs... well done guys! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Thanks for the review.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and liked the artwork, we are always trying to come up with new ways to create a warm atmosphere in the hostel, so we really appreciate your comments about the artwork.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location, good value, very good kitchen facilities. Stayed here for 3 nights. Friendly and helpful staff, went out of there way to help me print some forms I needed. 200 characters is a lot I have nothing more to say. I enjoyed it, it was clean, nice communal area on 2nd floor...........

• Stayed December 2013
Hi

Thanks for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Out of the three hostels that I stayed at on my 4-day NZ trip, this is the most basic one. It still offers a good value, and the location is within easy walk to the town centre (at one end of Amuri Avenue and about 300 m to the thermal springs). The common room, next to the reception, is pretty small, and there are a few PC stations on one side. If you're after Wi-Fi, it's $5 for 24 hours. There's also a small yard next to the entrance, equipped with BBQ facility. The kitchen and dining room are more spacious, but look rather sterile.

My room was a shared one with three beds, but I was the only one there for the night, so it was like a private room. Unfortunately, the room smelled of socks (not mine). If I had to stay there for more than one night, I would have asked for a different one. A few reading lamps (next to the beds) would also be good.

I think the hostel could do with some improvements to make it look more inviting. Some are on their way, I believe (the bathroom on the ground floor is being repainted) so hopefully in a few months it will be better than what it is now.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your review.
We would just like to mention that we have a TV lounge and balcony area upstairs that you do not mention in your review. It may have been that you did not find it as we have discovered recently that people did not know it was there, despite signs on the wall. We have increased our signage so it will be easier for people to find. Apologies for the room smell, it was not socks but paint, as you said, we were in the process of painting. The room you were in had recently been repainted and we thought that the smell had gone but obviously once it was shut up it was still there. Sorry you had to put up with the smell but we would have moved you immdediately had we known at the time.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Paid like $65 for a standard double and stayed a night here. The place was very clean, the kitchen was spotless. Has a fire going in the lounge. The man working was very kind and even took me around to select the room I wanted. It is a little far if you plan on walking to town. Also there is a no alcohol in room rule if that is important to you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wdjmNS
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

So I went to this place in actuality around mid-December 2011, as I got a shuttle bus from Christchuch to Hanmer Springs. Checked-in to this establishment for a couple of nights, the staff member was great, helped me out with recommendations on what to do in the area, obviously suggested going to the actual springs and even horse-riding which I did. It is clean, environmentally conscious, has fresh-air, and I even got my own bed in my own room. Good value given what I have paid for. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Toan N
Armthorpe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We only stayed one night but nothing but praise to be given. The staff looked after our bags as arrived before room ready, then came back to take bags up to room as the view was amazing, snow capped mountains...we stayed in a double, it had a microwave and kettle and little prep area as such as well as loo, shower, sink. There was a tv, we didn't use it thou. Kitchen facilities very good, and the open fire and sofas were lovely to sit in the evening. Other guests quiet and chatty and all seemed very happy with the place.would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esharkey
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed at Kakapo Lodge together with another family. I couldn't fault it. Warm, very clean, airy, and with everything you need. The hosts were fantastic - knowledgeable and helpful, and friendly. The location is great, being a few minutes walk from the pools and the town centre, as well as a few minutes from the bike and walking tracks. We'll be back - I don't think I have enjoyed a hostel as much :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family