“Excellent in every way!”

The Boatshed Karapiro
Ranked #27 of 59 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Relax and Enjoy Delicious Food Coffee & Drink at the Boatshed Cafe & Venue overlooking Lake Karapiro... CAFE HOURS Saturday & Sunday 10 til 3 7 days/nights by appointment
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Had. Sunday lunch here it was so good. The service was excellent they couldn't do enough to help us. The food was the best, we all had something different and each of us enjoyed it. The view is amazing it was a great Sunday afternoon, a hidden gem.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were part of a 50 person booking for a Sunday buffet lunch.

The buffet was set on a normal dining sized table and consisted of: Scones without butter or margarine; Sliced ham that was rather raggedly cut; Sliced beef that was OK; A plate of sliced cucumber & sun-dried tomatoes; Green Salad; along with three condiments. Embarrassingly several plates quickly ran out and with no staff working the buffet, guests simply went without food. The dessert consisted of a selection of two cut cakes that were served without plates.

Obviously the management and staff have never experienced a well-run buffet lunch and this was a great example of how not to do a buffet. Training was sadly missing. My home served buffet for similar numbers would have far exceeded what we were offered and the service would have been much better. If similar buffets are served to weddings then I can understand how disappointed guests would be. The group I was with were definately potential clients - I would say that most will not be back!

I saw other guests at the Boatshed getting a large bowl of chips for a group that were enjoying a few beer and the glorious sunny setting – maybe that is the role of the Boatshed as a pleasant cafe to relax at on a Sunday afternoon; but it is certainly not a restaurant.

3  Thank Winetourist
BoatshedKarapiro, Owner at The Boatshed Karapiro, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Winetourist,

Few points in response to your most fervent review .
The menu was chosen out of a selection by the person who booked the group. And those were buns not scones.
No one missed out on food..buffet was topped up twice as required. Out of interest do you spend your time "buffet watching?"
What other service did you expect? Someone to put the meat on your plate?? The group had a space booked to catch up with each other and mingle..your plates and glasses were cleared as required...I fail to see what else you were after with regards to service.
I see from your other reviews that your idea of a great buffet includes chopped surimi and bought in cake slices..so I doubt you will ever return as we don't do surimi or mass produced slices..we leave that to the supermarket deli and the local bakery.
Best of luck with your future eatery policing.
Warm regards,
The Boatshed Management & Staff

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stopped here for lunch today after stopping by several months past when it was closed. A gorgeous Somerset maugham like views with an equally appealing board and batten spacious and airy restaurant in a french styled garden setting. Quite lovely.
The classic Jaguar and Daimler club were there in full force so yet another delight to have a nose at a few E-types, lots of chrome and car eye candy.

Pros- The coffee was really good, the galette was freshly made (crisp pastry), the pancakes were fantastic, the setting was stunning, the overall value was pretty reasonable.

Cons- The waiter needed to blow his flippin nose, he sniffed alot...and almost put me off eating because they were snotty wet sniffs!! Eugh.The galette had a creamy base which I though was too rich along with the large portion of chutney. Salad (which I had been looking forward to) was just a big pile of rocket leaves. Galette could have done with being slightly larger, without the creamy base and a more substantial salad.
Bit of a slight wait for food and drink.

I'm going to up my star rating, because having re-revising my cons, although not trivial, are definately achievable, given the promise of this place.

However, sadly they have no control over how the setting went from serenely quiet and charming to an out-of-control metal concert on steroids courtesy of some type of massively jetted speed boat/s on the river. Ah well, it was great while it lasted.

1  Thank missdiscotek
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had read about this cafe for some time. Heading North we decided to have a coffee stop. The appetising cakes looked so yummy we had to try. They were very very good and we had finished them before our coffees arrived and we waited and waited and waited some time and our coffee still can't arrived ........ So we enquired, they said they were all learning to make coffee gave us our money back, which was very good of them. They offered to make us our coffees in take away cups, which was ok especially as it was coffee we wanted. Received our coffees and the next laugh was ..... The were only half full, yes they were free, but half a cup! Oh dear ......

2  Thank Lynda D
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited The Boatshed with a group of friends and the location beside the Waikato River was serene. The service and food was terrific and all the group enjoyed our experience