“Big thumbs down - seriously disappointed - will not be back :(”
Review of Bistro Thierry

Bistro Thierry
Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Toorak
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the ambience of a night in a buzzing French bistro in Melbourne without the jet lag. We aim to make your experience completely enjoyable.
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had heard so much about this restaurant and after a long wait I finally dined there tonight with family. I regret suggesting this restaurant and I am embarrassed at the food we were presented with tonight.

It did not do justice to French food, and there are far superior French restaurants in Melbourne although they do not have 'the' suburb location or appealing looks (eg certain French restaurnts in Armadale, Southbank and Le Gaulois in Mt Waverley of all places !)

The service was impeccable and the waiters were delightful, cheerful and prompt. I give them and their service 10/10.

The food however is a different matter.

French onion soup was passable but I have had far better that were baked thoroughly on top to form a baked crust which theirs did not have.

Best part of the meal was the fresh French bread baguette. It was extremely good bread.

The eye fillets were indeed cooked to perfection but the quality of the meat was definitely nowhere near as good as I have had at other restaurants and the red wine sauce was extremely thick and heavy.

Baked fish of the day was nice according to our guest, but not brilliant.

Side serve of peas were FROZEN peas !

When one of the family said "Can you believe it ... They have served frozen peas !" we simply didn't believe it. We all tried the peas and agreed that, yes, much to our shock and disbelief they were frozen peas. An absolute disgrace at such a highly reviewed and priced restaurant. Gordon Ramsay would have a hissy fit !!

The tarte tatin was soggy pastry rather than crispy as it should be, and was swimming in a sickly sweet caramel sauce. The apple was barely recognisable in the dish. It was awful.

I bake tarte tatin's at home and there is no way a freshly baked tatin can be soggy which leads me to believe they are pre-cooked.

The crepe Suzette were also sickly sweet and it is the first time I have seen them presented without the brandy and flame.

I was embarrassed to have taken my family there tonight and I cannot understand why this restaurant has the reputation it's got. Perhaps people think it's a trendy place to go to but the food didn't fool our table of four and I amazed they are getting the good reviews based on the food I ate tonight.

It is a very tightly packed restaurant to the pont where I could unintentionally hear every word of the conversation at the table next to me. This bothered my parents but not me so much, but this is not a private, romantic couples restaurant if that's what you are looking for.

Regardless, I will not be back although I am glad I ticked it off my list once and tried it for myself.

1  Thank ladycatrin

Reviewed October 25, 2013

A very very good french restaurant, food fresh and amazing ! You enter directly in the french atmosphere!

A very good service too. Waiters are presents and very sweet. I recommend it for every occasions, and to discover french food!

BistroThierry, Owner at Bistro Thierry, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your BT experience. We hope to see you back soon. Merci beaucoup!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Enjoyed the lunch special with wife and friend. Service by the French-speaking waiters was good, quick and efficient. More importantly, the food was creative and very palatable.

BistroThierry, Owner at Bistro Thierry, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your BT experience. Customer satisfaction is our number one goal so it is great to learn this has been achieved on this occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back. Merci beaucoup!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My friend and I had the fixed price menu which was a good introduction to the restaurant.
Between the 2 of us, we had very tasty salad nicoise, beef bourguignon (small but portions but adequate with crusty bread) and creme brulee. The waiters were amiable and not snooty.
Verdict: Will return.

BistroThierry, Owner at Bistro Thierry, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

On behalf of the BT team thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant on Trip Advisor.
We are proud we met your expectations. Look forward to your return. Au revoir!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have eaten at Bistro Thierry many times and always found the food to be very good. It is also the authentic French style of cuisine. The menu is fairly limited but always something there to choose and it is always very good. It is not a cheap meal but very good food. The atmosphere is great and décor is what you see in France and the staff are really authentic Frenchmen with that cute accent. They also have an extensive cellar with a large number of good French wines.
There is always a French casserole on the menu too. Apart from the tables being very close together, hence when there is a large party, it is very noisy it does have a lovely atmosphere.
I would go back again and again

BistroThierry, Owner at Bistro Thierry, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

A big 'merci beaucoup' for taking the time to share your BT experience on Trip Adviser.
We appreciate your feedback and have shared your thoughts with all our staff. A bientot!