“Clean and confortable”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toorak
Sydney, Australia
“Clean and confortable”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Old fashioned building and furniture (1900s), well maintained, very clean and good value for money. The breakfast is cereal, toast and tea which suited me perfectly. Would definitely reconmend and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Sarah A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Gladstone
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My intention was to treat my sister to a trip to Toorak to visit friends. We could have stayed with them, but I found the website description of Toorak Manor enticing as my sister loves beautiful things from bygone eras. I booked a Deluxe Room.

What we found on arrival was a case of blatant misrepresentation.
In order of becoming evident:
1. When I went out to dinner with friends I did not have a drink because I was driving and I thought that I could have a nightcap in the room. No mini bar in the room. The website states that each and every room has one. When I asked the receptionist why there was no minibar in the room, she pointed to the vending machine in the lobby. I noted that it only had sugared, coloured, carbonated drinks and no water.
2. No feather pillows as detailed on the website. I usually take my own feather pillow when sleeping away from home, as I suffer from neck pains. I didn’t do so in this instance because of the details in the advertised inducements.
3. There was no Laura Ashley linen in the room as advertised. (One of the three big reasons I chose your establishment)
4. The breakfast was most inadequate. The toaster only toasted on one side so I let the girl know if it was still under warranty to return it. I had to ask for a bowl for my cereal and to not have percolated or drip coffee, only instant sachets, was well below what would be expected.
5. On the second night we came back to the hotel with a male friend. It was inappropriate to have him come upstairs to our room while we changed for dinner, so we suggested he wait in the lounge room and watch the news. There was NO cable TV as advertised. Nor was there the complimentary port which the website outlines, is served to guests.
6. The fridge in the room was frozen over and its only contents, was UHT milk. No ice trays, no water, no alcohol.
7. Both window winders in room 14 were broken.
8. Breakfast was not available till after 8am which when on holidays people usually like to get on the road early.
9. The reception desk was not staffed on our departure at 7.30 am.
10. The website describes quaint garden furniture – you are kidding! Old plastic unmatched rubbish

11. Worst of all, the shower was disgustingly mouldy and in need of a decent scrub and disinfectant. (Buy some exit mould)

Initially we felt sorry for the girl at reception as she was trying to deal with our issues. However, she offered no solutions only excuses. She did not give us the owners name or contact details as she said she didn’t know where to reach them. Upon departure, we were told by another tenant, that the owner resided on the top floor. It became apparent that perhaps they were not interested in customer feedback and satisfaction.

I sent management a letter for a refund and have only had a reply saying they received it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sonia R

Travelers are raving about these Toorak hotels

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend to watch the AFL. Was a really easy trip into the city on the train - in fact it was probably easier from here than some of the places we have stayed in the city to get to the MCG. The shopping and food was great in Chapel St which was an easy walk. The facilities were not amazing but neither were they awful. They were really what I expected for the price. The bathroom was clean - the room was quiet. Had a view of the train line but the window was double glazed so didn't hear anything. We did get a special so we didn't pay full price - we had three people in the room - not sure it is worth the full price quoted on their website. We will very happily stay again if we get a special rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aussiegirl063
Wangaratta
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Yes it is cheap at $99 / $105 per night in the heart of Toorak
But only if you can put up with the following:
- Dust caked on top of picture frames, light fittings and on carpet edging or anywhere difficult to get to with a vaccumm cleaner
- cracked walls and cornices
- cobwebs
- air conditioners that don't work efficiently ( we had to change rooms )
- mouldy and musty smelling shower
- creaky floor boards
- creaky beds - our second room had an old metal four poster bed that had obviously had a lot of use
- noisy trains and road if you want fresh air in the room and left the windows open
- usual noisy fridge that we had to turn off
- indifferent service
This property was checked and rated at 4 star by the AAA inspectors last July ???
It is also a Choice Motels chain member rated as a Quality level member???
Take a moment to read the property discriptions on the the RACV, Wotif and Quality websites
It might just be me, but what the descriptions say and what the property really is like just doesn't make sense!
But - yes it is cheap at that price!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amt59
Exford
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We purchased a Deluxe Queen Room from a discount website and upon arrival we were placed in a standard room. How do I know this? Because we stayed there a couple of years ago and we were upgraded to a deluxe room, so I know what I should have got. I spoke to reception and was told I was in a Deluxe room. Hate to see the standard room as there was barely any room to move in this supposed deluxe room. The hotel is also very worn and old, the furniture is very stained and over used. I wouldn't ever stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Notmuchtravelled
Bangkok
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Toorak Manor gives you the chance to stay in a piece of beautiful architecture in comfortable rooms that are tastefully decorated and well maintained.

The Chinese staff are charming and the place has a strss free atmosphere.

Walk 200 mtrs to the train or a little more to catch a tram. Chapel St has huge eating choices a few tram stops away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter D
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and have found this converted mansion intriguing. Every time I have had a different room and have looked forward to the charms each will reveal, for all rooms certainly have a character of their own. This hotel perhaps is not for everyone. You do have to like old houses and be prepared to tolerate the sorts of foibles old houses have such as hot water that takes a long time to make it to the shower. Some of those foibles however could be addressed and should be. In every room I have had difficulty locating a safe place to use the kettle because there are no high power points to accommodate it and the kettle cords are short. That means either boiling it on the floor and running the risk of kicking it over or balancing it precariously on the bathroom sink.

I was disheartened on my last visit to discover that the owners have stopped changing the security code every day. Guest safety would be better served by returning to that policy.

The last room I stayed in was my least favourite: room No. 1 which had a two inch gap under the door. The bed was two singles pushed together and not very comfortable.

You do have to love old houses to enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toorak
Hotel Claremont
Hotel Claremont
#102 of 159 in Melbourne
The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Quest on Chapel
Quest on Chapel
#49 of 159 in Melbourne

Been to Toorak Manor? Share your experiences!