Palosanto Backpackers
  • Breakfast included
Puerto Palos(Mancora)
TripAdvisor
Los Corales(Mancora)
All reviewsgreat poolfresh juiceenjoyed my stayin towngreat atmospherethe main streetdormhostelchillpartylokiwifijambeachmusic
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My stay was generally pleasant, and the staff was kind helpful while I was there. The only drawback while I was there was the frequent blackouts. However, the trouble didn't start until I left. When I arrived, I confirmed with the staff multiple times that I would be able to pay with a credit card, without fees. I offered to pay in advance, but I was told several times to wait until check-out. Unfortunately, at check-out, there was another blackout, and the credit card machine was not working. I only had enough cash to pay for my taxi to the airport, plus a little extra, so I paid half of my bill and left my credit card information with them so that they could charge the remaining half once the power came back.

Long story short, instead of charging my card, they tried to insist that I either pay by wire transfer or drive to another one of their locations in Peru to pay in cash, each of which would have resulted in extra cost for me. I was finally able to get them on the phone to resolve the issue once I got home, re-sent my credit card information, and authorized them to charge just the outstanding balance for my stay. First, they misplaced my original credit card information e-mail. Then, once I re-sent them the information, they did not respond to my inquiries as to whether they had charged my card.

Finally, as of my most recent credit card statement, they charged my card. However, they charged me almost 10% more than my final balance, despite confirming that they would not charge me any fees and despite my only authorizing them to charge the amount of my outstanding balance. At this point, I have asked them to refund the extra charge and will be shortly turning this issue over to my credit card company to sort out.

In short, it is a shame that a decent hostel experience was marred by this payment issue, especially given that I (a) offered to pay in advance, (b) left my credit card information with them at the time of check-out, and (c) went out of my way to make sure to pay them the money that I owed as honestly and quickly as possible. If anyone decides to stay here and pay with a credit card, I would highly advise insisting on paying in advance, despite what the staff says, since the power supply is not reliable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2014

and possible worst of all hostels in that price range and category. Location is great and facilities are decent but management leaves a lot to be desired. Specially the rude bar manager (some Ecuadorian guy) who seems more interested on fondling all the Argentinian volunteers before everyone eyes than to providing a decent customer service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank roger g
Reviewed January 14, 2014

There are many different types of hostels in Mancora Peru two of the biggest may perhaps be Kokopelli and Loki. Kokopelli is the smaller of the two offering a hostel with more intimate social atmosphere. Very easy to meet other travelers and to social as the space is smaller. There is a nice pool, when it has been cleaned. The staff at the bar were awesome great people all other travelers working their ways through South America. The rooms were fine as well I stayed in a 10 room dorm with bathroom for the occupants. Only complaint I would have about the hostel was the reception staff with the exception of Suzanna who was amazing. Others seemed to lack the desire to assist or accommodate easily resolvable situations such as bed changes mid week of a stay.

Another great thing was that Loki was a little more lively all the time and it is free to get a pass for Loki simply by going to the reception desk with your passport and they will give you a wrist band that can be used any days to access the ``poor mans resort` nice pool and grounds better maintained than Kokopelli.

Stayed after Christmas through new years till around the 4th.

Also more expensive than other hostels in the area. Paid 40 soles per night where in Loki was only 25 soles.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two nights in a private room on the end, P3. Room was big and good sized bathroom. Shower was good, hot water temperamental. We found the reception staff friendly and had no problem. Place was clean and tidy.
Very close to beach and local amenities/restaurants.
Place could be pretty loud at night with downstairs bar.
Wifi was reliable, worked well and accessible from rooms. Good connection for FaceTime.
Breakfast was pretty poor. Bowl of scrambled eggs left on side, with bread, butter and marmalade. Loads of cats (presume hostel cats?) constantly jump on tables trying to get your food.
Fairly good security, believe reception there all night and you had to ring doorbell to get in. Doorbell loud and heard throughout the place.
Didn't like that the rooms did not have glass windows, they only had mosquito nets attached and curtains. Would be easy to cut through and enter someone's room. Also meant could hear everything at night as no glass to stop the noise.
Pretty standard place. Been to better. Average but not poor.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danny6182
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Reception staff are nice, bar staff are stuck up. Bar decided to blast music at 7.30am. Shower in room 103 is a joke. Hostel is clean enough. Pool is nice but random local guys are allowed to hang out. One of the staff is constantly on fbook on the only working computers. Good breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends