“OverRated”
Review of Loki del Mar

Loki del Mar
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed in the Loki hostel and found that it did not meet our expectations. The staff were not friendly and everything was really regimented. If you are not staying there you are not allowed to drink at the bar. Do not stay there!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Roverjohnson

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I want to start off by saying that this place is SPRING BREAK! With that said there is an amazing pool, great bar and restaurant, decent rooms, and right on the beach. It seems to be an average price for a dorm bed in the area. I just wasn't prepared for that much testosterone and drunken fools all day long everyday. I love to party but I have done spring break before and if I knew this hotel was like that I probably wouldn't have gone. And all the workers there seem to think they are the best and can be very rude to you. It is a very nice hotel for the area though!

And if you want sleep don't go here! Loud music and new hotels next door being built all day and night long!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is a fun party hostel in Mancora Peru. Dorms are clean, beds and made and room is cleaned daily. Room has a lock up cupboard next to the dorm beds big enough to fit a backpack or suitcase. Lots of travelers working at the hostel and enjoying the poolside and parties. There are constant activities and games going on around the pool and themes for the night. I stayed in July and went to a full moon party at another hostel in town. Loki is a party hostel, there is always music playing (very loud) so don't expect to get much sleep while you are here. Music blares from 9am in the morning until 2am at night. The city of Mancora also runs out of water from time to time. I would take my showers around 6pm so I never ran into any problems.. nice hot water! There is a bar and a kitchen so lots of bar food to choose from on the menu. You can learn how to surf or kite surf there are instructors and schools everywhere. Very beachy atmosphere in the little town and everything is within walking distance. Be careful walking down the beach and don't bring valuables into town, there were some incidents of things getting stolen.. even shoes if they were left outside overnight. I would return here in a heartbeat if I were ever passing through Peru again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank monica_buczynski
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Lovely pool, great cocktails, clean rooms, great location on the beach. It is really noisy so if you're not up for partying maybe stay elsewhere, the music will stay on until about 3 in the morning, but it is great craic, we met some really lovely people here. The staff are a bit up their own arses, seem to think they are too cool to actually serve you a drink at times. However the food and drinks are cheap and good. We enjoyed our stay :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second/ third floor, as they have balconies.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stumbled upon Loki because Kokopelli was full and we didn't want to walk too far with our big backpacks. The place itself is pretty decent for the 89 soles we paid a night for a double room with ensuite bathroom. I personally haven't found too many hostels at that rate with a clean pool, a beach on the doorstep and clean bedsheets.The room even came with a balcony (and chairs + table) with a lovely view of the sunset, pool and beach.The drinks and food come at a good price. Basically, the place itself is value for money and a nice surprise after many weeks of travelling and average hostels.

The staff, however, are not Loki del Mar's plus points. The manager (a 30-something woman) desperately needs a foundation course in customer service. She was sullen, curt and arrogant throughout - reminding me of snooty prefects in public schools who act like they grace you with their presence. Her staff appear to be mostly composed of backpackers who work behind the bar to earn a little pocket money for the next leg of their travels. They have learnt well from their boss (aforementioned manager), and prance noisily around the bar and pool area as if a videocamera were rolling. The reception staff were equally inflated, with the exception of a new receptionist in training (Aussie?) who was very warm and helpful.

The party-style atmosphere of the place provides for heaps of daily activities and parties that stretch into the night and I would list that as a good thing. Go to Loki for a cheap and clean sleeping arrangement with a fair bit to do in the day and night. Don't go there if you expect 'normal' levels of service from staff or if a Big Brother-type atmosphere annoys you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2011

How do I start...rigth we arrive in Mancora at 6pm or so and try to get a room in a hotel first but it was fully booked then we saw Loki and thought, well one night in a hostel could be fun. We arrived and ask the recepcionist if they had a double room with private room available and she said yes, then she asked us to wait (what for? who knows!) then another guy arrived asking for a room and she came back straight to him to check him in etc, we were still waiting for about 30 minutes, then she finally called us and we filled in the check in form, then she asked us to wait again, she came back and showed to us the areas in the hotel and then she took us to our room and then she said ops I forgot to the keys for your room, so then we wait for about 15 minutes outside of the room until she came back and probably after 1 hour we finally got in the room, the room was ok very hostel style, old and dity looking sheets, not very clean toilet at all anyways I thought the bar will be food fun, then we got down for some drinks to the bar, we drank 1 beer and 1 baileys, we paid for the drinks and then we left because people at the bar were in groups and in general the whole atmosphere was kind of awkard, soo many people there that thought they were really cool, we are a married couple so we didn't really fit into that so we went to another bar, by the time we came back the noise was unreal, the room was so noisy but not specially from the Loki Bar, the noise came from other bars around the area. Next day I couldn't wait to check out and we did got up very early and when we got to the check out desk this receptionist with argentinian accent, she said, what was your room number? not nice or friendly at all, then she got the bill, there were 3 shots in our bill, we didn't have any shots! anyways we paid for our drinks the same night, so we told her that and she said I have to check with the manager in very rude tone, after she talked over the phone with the manager she said ok then you have to pay the room rate. Looks like their staff don't receive any trainning, I know It's a hostel but a smile or even a thank you don't cost that much. I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all. Probably the worst hostel I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brookycookie
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We booked for 2 nights and stayed a week at this hostel. The rooms were spacious and the water hot.

The common areas were large, plenty of hammocks, a beautiful and clean pool, ping pong, a BBQ, and close to the beach.

Come here for a party, every night they had a new activity. had an amazing time.

Lockers in room even had power outlets, great feature.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple