“Well worth the money and time was a fantastic day”

and 1 more site!
Puesto Viejo Estancia
Canberra, Australia
“Well worth the money and time was a fantastic day”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My sister and I travelling from Australia visited today and was a great experience. Whilst we are short on time and are not staying in luxury we decided to splurge on polo as it is a big thing here in Argentina. There are some options but others were impossible to try and book and were more expensive. This wasn't particularly easy to book as we were going last minute but we stumbled upon landing pad BA spoke to Jed at 10am and it was booked organised and paid for by 12. It includes car transfer is an hour out but is nice to leave the hustle of BA. You are met with morning tea in what is truly beautiful surroundings. You did an introductory lesson on stools before getting beautiful horses. We had a little bit of riding experience but that was some time ago so riding isn't necessary to enjoy. Lunch was amazing and all included. Polo seems easy to learn the basics but hard to master. A big thanks to Guston who was ever patient and helpful and all the staff who made us feel at home. Hasta luego

• Stayed November 2013
puestoviejo, Public Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thank you for your great review! Please accept my sincerest apologies for our delayed response to your review and your troubles with booking! I'm incredibly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience though! Thank you again on behalf of Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club! Please come visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2013

For days after returning home, whenever my friends and colleagues asked me about my recent trip to Argentina all I could say was "I can't talk about it." The reason for that inability to speak was that I could not yet process what an amazing trip I had had. And since this was my second trip to Buenos Aires, what absolutely stood out and made it magical was the time spent at the Estancia. I was traveling with a large wedding party and this was our "trip within a trip." The facilities and surroundings were beautiful all on their own, but what sets Puesto Viejo apart from any other place I have ever stayed is the truly attentive and caring nature of the staff.

For reference, I am a tall, lanky and somewhat neurotic New Yorker with zero athletic ability to speak of. And yet there I was on top of a horse with a polo mallet in my hand playing my first chucker with my friends (this photo by the way is already the most *liked* item on my Facebook page). I never in a million years would have thought I had the coordination and yet after a thorough lesson by the polo instructor we were all able to face off against each other (with no injuries). In short, something I thought I would never be able to do quickly became one of the best things I have ever done in my life and I can't wait to go back.

And when we weren't playing polo? Either we were lounging poolside with glasses of champagne or gorging ourselves on the best traditional asado or trying to drink every last bottle of wine on the property. And throughout it all everyone on staff from Irina who managed to learn the name of every member of our 15+ party at check-in to the owner Jeremy who personally asked after us made us feel incredibly welcomed. Just thinking about it makes me want to book a return trip immediately and for all who read this I can only say that you are in for an amazing experience that you will never forget. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
puestoviejo, Guest Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! As I said to Miguel, you were all such wonderful guests and so much fun having here. Please come back!!
- Irene
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was there recently with a large group of friends as part of a wedding celebration. We all took polo lessons and had a match in the afternoon. Most of us had never really ridden a horse and by the end of the day we all knew how to hit a polo ball! The staff could not have been nicer, the food could not have been better and the accomodations were wonderful. As an American visiting Buenos Aires this was such a great additional experience that I feel most do not get. I would absolutely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Rachel, it is wonderful to read your comment, thank you! I feel I am repeating myself here, but it was really such a great group and we all loved having you. Come back!!
- Irene
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I had the best experience at this Estancia. The staff is super caring, they pay attention to every detail. The rooms are beautiful, super comfortable. The dinning room is huge with a long wooden table that gave us the chance to have fantastic dinners since we were 16 friends staying at the hotel.
Irene, the manager is super warm and she is decided to make you happy with everything that you might need while being there.
The food goes from the best argentine asado to delicious pastas and vegetables, desserts are the best there, they always had more than 5 options to offer.
We enjoyed playing polo, swimming in the pool and biking around the fields.
Don't forget to take your friends there if you want to give them the true argentine polo experience. Loved it!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Miguel F
puestoviejo, Public Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a great review! I'm truly sorry that it took us so long to write back! We got caught up in the polo season. :) We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We hope you will come back on your next trip to a nearby city! Thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club!
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2013

What a wonderful weekend trip we had at Puesto Viejo!

The polo lesson was a blast, the horses were the absolute kindest, gentlest creatures, and the food was delicious. There was freshly baked bread at lunch and dinner that was some of the best I've ever had.

Everyone there was so nice and extremely accommodating. The other people staying in the hotel were fascinating and it was fun getting to know everyone. Definitely a great place for couples, families, or even singles traveling on their own. Nearly everyone spoke English so we did not feel as if we couldn't communicate. Most of the other guests were foreigners (European, Australian, etc) as well.

I have only the highest praise for Irene, Gaston, Julio, and the others who made our stay at Puesto Viejo a fun and relaxing time.

Room Tip: Walls are thin so if you're a light sleeper, close the windows and perhaps bring some earplugs s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review! I'm incredibly sorry for our delayed response! We were a bit tied up with polo season! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review, and thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club!
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
Reviewed October 14, 2013

While we only spent one night here it felt like a wonderful country escape!! From the lovely accommodations to the abundance of food to the polo lessons, everything was perfect. They arranged a driver to pick us up in Buenos Aires, making it easy to get there. We were personally greeted by Irene the manager and offered cakes and drinks before we met with our polo instructor Gaston! What a doll he was. Patient, kind and so much fun. None of us knew anything about polo, but by the end of the afternoon we were swinging the mallet and actually making contact!! For those who have experience there is a very high level of expertise available to improve your skills or to simply play in some matches. The horses at the facility are the most beautiful and well trained we have ever come across. For those of us who were nervous riders we had no problem handling the horses and Julio ( our trail leader) was so attentive. We took a break for lunch and were offered a full asado at the communal table. A delicious, fresh and filling meal. After a short rest we met again for more riding and instruction. Everything is included in your rate so there is no "nickel and diming" if you want to grab some snacks, ride a little longer, eat a little more, have a glass of wine, etc. Nothing is too much trouble and they try to accommodate every need. The dinner was delicious ( they met our personal dietary restrictions so just be sure to let them know if you have special requests). The next day before we were leaving they arranged a trail ride around the property for us and then contacted the driver to take us back. The property is lovely and is filled with birds, owls, and other interesting bits of nature. Just a long walk or a bike ride on the complementary bikes is a lovely way to pass a few hours. If you are looking for a nice getaway from the city or if you are hoping to try polo or improve your skills, I can't imagine a nicer place to do it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be about the same, but be aware that you are in the country and will hear a lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
puestoviejo, Public Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We are glad that you enjoyed your time here at Puesto Viejo! We hear from you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went to Puesto Viejo almost a year ago (November 2012) with my boyfriend and it was one of the most incredible and memorable experiences of my life. I can't believe it's taken me so long to write this review!

Setting up a day was very easy. Gaston was quick to respond and setting up our day was very straightforward. I would definitely check out the website, as you will get a general understanding of your experience. However, in reality, no words can really describe my experience there as it was truly magical.Transportation was arranged so that we were picked up in Buenos Aires and driven there. It is approximately 1.5 hours away. At first we were a bit taken aback as we were getting into a car and heading to an unknown destination--but do not be afraid. The Puesto Viejo grounds are truly beautiful. The mansion, the pool house and the estancia hotel building are all very beautiful. I wish we had brought our bathing suits and taken a dip in the pool in between our polo lessons--but perhaps next time!

Gaston was the best teacher. I had no previous riding experience and although I was scared, I never felt any danger. Gaston made me feel really comfortable and for the first part of the lesson, he held on to my horse so that I felt more comfortable. Prior to getting on a horse, we practised our swing and saw the horses' stables. Polo is not something you're going to learn in a day, but I felt quite satisfied being able to hit that ball once or twice. My boyfriend on the other hand, got the hang of it pretty quick and Gaston was able to show him more advanced moves. We had two lessons: one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Everyone at Puesto Viejo was very hospitable, and the food was excellent. Sausages, and chicken and salad. Not to mention sweets and coffee. We met some very interesting and exciting friends from all over the world, as well as some actual polo players.

The BEST moment for me was watching an actual POLO MATCH LIVE! We were so lucky to be there for an actual match and it was simply mind-blowing. We spent a whole day at Puesto Viejo and it was truly magical. You're going to want to stay for a whole lot longer. Transportation was arranged to take us back to BA at night. This whole experience was worth double the money. It's really a HIDDEN GEM!

Thank you Gaston and everyone at Puesto Viejo.
Love,
K & V
(Toronto, Canada)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club and for leaving a great review! I'm truly sorry for our delayed response. We were a bit tied up with polo season, and it sounds like you enjoyed the polo match that you were able to see! That is great to hear! We hope you will visit us again and create more wonderful memories!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canuelas
Howard Johnson Hotel & Convention Center Ezeiza
Posada de las Aguilas
Casa Marina
Casa Marina
#1 of 2 in Monte Grande

Been to Puesto Viejo Estancia? Share your experiences!