“Amazing food and service, perfect for groups!”

Puesto Viejo Estancia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had the best experience at this Estancia. The staff is super caring, they pay attention to every detail. The rooms are beautiful, super comfortable. The dinning room is huge with a long wooden table that gave us the chance to have fantastic dinners since we were 16 friends staying at the hotel.
Irene, the manager is super warm and she is decided to make you happy with everything that you might need while being there.
The food goes from the best argentine asado to delicious pastas and vegetables, desserts are the best there, they always had more than 5 options to offer.
We enjoyed playing polo, swimming in the pool and biking around the fields.
Don't forget to take your friends there if you want to give them the true argentine polo experience. Loved it!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Miguel F
puestoviejo, Public Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a great review! I'm truly sorry that it took us so long to write back! We got caught up in the polo season. :) We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We hope you will come back on your next trip to a nearby city! Thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

What a wonderful weekend trip we had at Puesto Viejo!

The polo lesson was a blast, the horses were the absolute kindest, gentlest creatures, and the food was delicious. There was freshly baked bread at lunch and dinner that was some of the best I've ever had.

Everyone there was so nice and extremely accommodating. The other people staying in the hotel were fascinating and it was fun getting to know everyone. Definitely a great place for couples, families, or even singles traveling on their own. Nearly everyone spoke English so we did not feel as if we couldn't communicate. Most of the other guests were foreigners (European, Australian, etc) as well.

I have only the highest praise for Irene, Gaston, Julio, and the others who made our stay at Puesto Viejo a fun and relaxing time.

Room Tip: Walls are thin so if you're a light sleeper, close the windows and perhaps bring some earplugs s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
puestoviejo, Public Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Thank you for your great review! I'm incredibly sorry for our delayed response! We were a bit tied up with polo season! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review, and thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

While we only spent one night here it felt like a wonderful country escape!! From the lovely accommodations to the abundance of food to the polo lessons, everything was perfect. They arranged a driver to pick us up in Buenos Aires, making it easy to get there. We were personally greeted by Irene the manager and offered cakes and drinks before we met with our polo instructor Gaston! What a doll he was. Patient, kind and so much fun. None of us knew anything about polo, but by the end of the afternoon we were swinging the mallet and actually making contact!! For those who have experience there is a very high level of expertise available to improve your skills or to simply play in some matches. The horses at the facility are the most beautiful and well trained we have ever come across. For those of us who were nervous riders we had no problem handling the horses and Julio ( our trail leader) was so attentive. We took a break for lunch and were offered a full asado at the communal table. A delicious, fresh and filling meal. After a short rest we met again for more riding and instruction. Everything is included in your rate so there is no "nickel and diming" if you want to grab some snacks, ride a little longer, eat a little more, have a glass of wine, etc. Nothing is too much trouble and they try to accommodate every need. The dinner was delicious ( they met our personal dietary restrictions so just be sure to let them know if you have special requests). The next day before we were leaving they arranged a trail ride around the property for us and then contacted the driver to take us back. The property is lovely and is filled with birds, owls, and other interesting bits of nature. Just a long walk or a bike ride on the complementary bikes is a lovely way to pass a few hours. If you are looking for a nice getaway from the city or if you are hoping to try polo or improve your skills, I can't imagine a nicer place to do it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be about the same, but be aware that you are in the country and will hear a lo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
puestoviejo, Public Relations Manager at Puesto Viejo Estancia, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We are glad that you enjoyed your time here at Puesto Viejo! We hear from you again soon!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went to Puesto Viejo almost a year ago (November 2012) with my boyfriend and it was one of the most incredible and memorable experiences of my life. I can't believe it's taken me so long to write this review!

Setting up a day was very easy. Gaston was quick to respond and setting up our day was very straightforward. I would definitely check out the website, as you will get a general understanding of your experience. However, in reality, no words can really describe my experience there as it was truly magical.Transportation was arranged so that we were picked up in Buenos Aires and driven there. It is approximately 1.5 hours away. At first we were a bit taken aback as we were getting into a car and heading to an unknown destination--but do not be afraid. The Puesto Viejo grounds are truly beautiful. The mansion, the pool house and the estancia hotel building are all very beautiful. I wish we had brought our bathing suits and taken a dip in the pool in between our polo lessons--but perhaps next time!

Gaston was the best teacher. I had no previous riding experience and although I was scared, I never felt any danger. Gaston made me feel really comfortable and for the first part of the lesson, he held on to my horse so that I felt more comfortable. Prior to getting on a horse, we practised our swing and saw the horses' stables. Polo is not something you're going to learn in a day, but I felt quite satisfied being able to hit that ball once or twice. My boyfriend on the other hand, got the hang of it pretty quick and Gaston was able to show him more advanced moves. We had two lessons: one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Everyone at Puesto Viejo was very hospitable, and the food was excellent. Sausages, and chicken and salad. Not to mention sweets and coffee. We met some very interesting and exciting friends from all over the world, as well as some actual polo players.

The BEST moment for me was watching an actual POLO MATCH LIVE! We were so lucky to be there for an actual match and it was simply mind-blowing. We spent a whole day at Puesto Viejo and it was truly magical. You're going to want to stay for a whole lot longer. Transportation was arranged to take us back to BA at night. This whole experience was worth double the money. It's really a HIDDEN GEM!

Thank you Gaston and everyone at Puesto Viejo.
Love,
K & V
(Toronto, Canada)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club and for leaving a great review! I'm truly sorry for our delayed response. We were a bit tied up with polo season, and it sounds like you enjoyed the polo match that you were able to see! That is great to hear! We hope you will visit us again and create more wonderful memories!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having spent a week here during July, the winter season in Argentina, it was a credit to the whole Puesto Viejo team that they were able to offer us such a great Polo holiday experience to us. Our polo improved immensely over the course of the week and we were so happy that they were able to offer us so much polo during the off-season, sticking & balling in the morning and practice chukkas in the afternoon.

Additionally, I’d go as far to say that I would recommend the estancia for their food alone, which was a well-balanced variety of traditional meat, fish and vegetarian dishes. Accommodation was also spot on for what we required and was always kept clean.

Despite all of the above, the foremost asset this estancia has is it’s staff. Everyone was very friendly and it felt like we had a very personalized experience during our stay, a definite plus point about going during the off-season. A few words of Spanish to the gauchos would always be followed by a welcoming smile whilst they were tacking up some more ponies for us to ride.

The only downside I can find is that it’s so far away from Great Britain. Happy to recommend to anyone and will definitely return.

Room Tip: We saw a few different rooms as it was off season and all were of good quality.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review and feedback! I am incredibly happy to hear about the accolades that you've given our food! We hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Puesto Viejo was one stop on my trip through Argentina and I have to say, that I do not regret it at all visiting this great estancia near buenos aires.
from the beginning I made just good experiences, beginning from the booking, arrival and throughout my whole stay. The staff is just amazing and they try to do their best fulfilling all your needs.
It is a quite place where you are able to relax, have a nice accommodation and full-board service, which is very tastefull.
The polo-lessons with Gaston have been a quite funny experience for me, as I do horse-riding since I'm little. You are able to go riding whenever you want to, which is a big advantage on this estancia.
All in all - I am happy that I've choosen Puesto Viejo for my Argentina trip and would do it again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Gabrijel M

Thank you for your great review! We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations here! I'm truly sorry for the delayed response. We were a bit tied up with polo season. Thank you again, and thank you for choosing Puesto Viejo Estancia & Polo Club! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I went to three different estancias during my time in Argentina and this was my favorite. They are near the international airport so it makes sense to stop by on your way in or out of Buenos Aires. The property is huge and beautiful and the polo fields are within walking distance from the hotel area and we were able to watch a couple games. The guest rooms were recently redone and had wonderful private bathrooms and comfortable beds. They were clean and well decorated and quiet.
Everyone speaks English and is very friendly. The food was great. I requested a traditional asado and they were more than accommodating
The rates were the cheapest of the three estancias I went to and the place was the nicest!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jamie p

Thank you for your incredible review! We are very delighted to hear that we were your favourite estancia and the cheapest of the three! We hope you will come again and enjoy more polo, great food and even better company with you there!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Canuelas
Howard Johnson Hotel Finca Maria Cristina
Posada de las Aguilas
Pampas del Sur
Pampas del Sur
#1 of 4 in Canuelas

Been to Puesto Viejo Estancia? Share your experiences!