“WOW, This place is a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Yunque Mar

Hotel Yunque Mar
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Luquillo
Roy, Utah
“WOW, This place is a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

The owners Sandy and Edgar made sure our stay was everything we wanted it to be. They were exceptional with helping us with tour information and directions. The room was very comfortable and everything we needed for a great hotel stay, and to top it all off, we were right on the beach! My daughters and I had so much fun downstairs in the evenings where we experienced great music (some live) and free billiards. We also had cocktails and snacks and couldn't be happier with the friendly people there at Yunque Mar Hotel. The manager Willy was so friendly that we felt right at home. It was so nice eating the hot breakfast (made to order) right in front of the beautiful beach. My girls found some really cool sea shells around on the beach as well. So what if there are some damaged properties around the Yunque Mar, that doesn't take anything away from this excellent place to stay! It's quiet and convenient to various locations of interest. The only thing that I didn't care for was that the pool closed so early (at 6pm). But that was very minor and wouldn't stop me from going here to stay again. Thank you good friends at the Yunque Mar! We had such a great time thanks to you!!! Sincerely, Jeanne Breu and family.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

There are no words to say how beautiful, wonderful & delightful was the Yunque Mar. The place is beautiful. There are no words to say how wonderful the staff is. Breakfast didn't lay around, it was made fresh when you ordered it. Edgar & Willie, are the people to meet. They were wonderful people to talk to and even played pool we us. The price of the place is excellent. We are going to make this our place everytime we go to Puerto Rico. You sleep with the ocean right there, hearing every bit of it.
The service, the rooms, location & amenities are super excellent. we can't fine the words to express & say how wonderful this place & the staff is.
from: gringa1207@yahoo.com (Gladys & Rosey)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

Really liked it!
I am Puertorican and partial to small, less expensive hotels wherever I go. Just spent two nights at the Yunque Mar, looking for a break from difficult past two weeks.

If you are afraid of strangers/locals, maybe this is not a hotel for you.This small hotel sits in the typical beach community of Playa Fortuna in Luquillo, PR. Look in Google Earth west of the Balneario. The real estate in this area is high although it is not quite developed yet. Many expensive vacation homes among native family dwellings. It is as safe as anywhere else.

The Yunque Mar is family owned. Overheard it was built in 2000 to serve as a hotel, so it's architecturally pleasant. What impressed me was it's cleanliness, tasteful decoration, bright rooms and friendliness.

Loved the covered terraces almost over the ocean, with its bar room where breakfast is served and an adjacent area where tables and comfortable chairs are available to relax any time of day. Owner and staff were prompt to answer any questions and offer help. This is a very basic hotel, no hair blower nor ironing board... although I imagine that asking will get you a long way. Readers bring your book light to read in bed. I didn't take my laptop but was told they have wifi at the premises. I found that my room's glass door due to the salitre (salt from ocean wind), did not lock securely but we didn't do anything about it. If it is important to you, then check this out. Free advise: dress and act low key, no jewelry, no one foot long lenses, no Gucci bags… this is a very informal beach community. Ask advise from the owners.

I am not a swimmer, so the beach in front of the hotel, even though it is beautiful to look at and listen to, is not for me. However the Balneario de Luquillo (Balneario La Monserrate is the correct name but that name is not used much.. Link: http://www.parquesnacionalespr.com/monserrate_bal.asp is closed Mon and Tue for cars and other facilities like toilets, showers, beach chairs, but can be accessed anytime on foot for free) is less than a 30 minute walk away. We walked along the beach to the Balneario the first day but decided not to do it again because there is a place which I found dangerous to cross. There was a cement small bridge or something in the past, but it broke and I didn't want to cross through it again. Ok for the young and fearless I guess. Otherwise take other nearby inland paths or if money is no problem, drive and park at the Balneario for US$4.28 entrance fee.

Loved eating at the kioskos. Learn the names for our finger foods: bacalaitos, empanadas, empanadillas, rellenos de papa, and my favorites piononos and alcapurrias... Not finger foods like mofongo, arroz with whatever, morcillas … Kioskos have good food, like kiosko #57, but music is quite noisy. There will be some kiosks open from 8am to 11pm or later in high season. Also had dinner at kiosko #1 (I think), named La Parrilla, excellent ambiance and good food but not too cheap.

Check the hotel's web page. Click on the hotel facilities link and you'll see the exact photos of what I found. Not to duplicate i'll be posting some different photos I took.

My GPS didn't have Playa Fortuna listed, so just in case this helps anyone:
While at Yunque Mar my GPS said I was at: N 18º 22.889' W065º 44.706'
Nearest intersection PR-3 E & PR-992
Luquillo, PR 00773

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LauraVioleta
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Stayed in thebeginning of the month and I enjoyed the island sites. Staff at Yunque Mar were extremely knowledgeable of the island and service was great. Location was perfect for everything we wanted to do. The hotel is very clean and comfortable and staff was very friendly. Breakfast was great and I would definetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Medford, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

The staff was exceptional; they went out of their way to help and make you feel at home.
Overall the facility served very well its purpose and the beach was actually very nice. I would definitely come again and invite my friends and colleagues to use this hotel. It's actually a great value!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

For the budget traveler who wants to get away from San Juan, this hotel is the place to stay! It’s a small, cute spot right on the beach. The staff was incredibly friendly and went out of their way to help us find restaurants and things to do. You have access to some of the best beaches on the island and there are plenty of decent, cheap eateries specializing in seafood nearby. Best of all, this hotel is located near El Yunque Rainforest, so this is the best place to stay for anyone who wants to hike and explore the beautiful natural environment.

The rooms are very comfortable, CLEAN, perfect for relaxing and having a good night sleep. The pool was just right for cooling down before grabbing some drinks and walking down the beach while enjoying the sunset. Overall, I would definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

Dissapointing. For the price of the room there, which was around $150 or so (albeit split between 2 couples) was way too high given what we got. If the hotel were $60 per night, my review would be different, but I had slightly higher expectations. It's worth it if you can pay $60. Glad we only booked one night before heading to Vieques for the week. First off, I'd like to say that I thoroughly reviewed this place first on T.A. and proceeded. The neighborhood is not as bad as some people say. There are families and children. They are not rich. But, I feel it is safe, although not aesthetically pleasing. However, my problem is the hotel itself. The room was hot and beds uncomfortable. The A/C didn't work well. The bathroom wasn't great, and we had no toilet paper, which was a pain to get. The breakfast in the morning was nothing special, I'd have prefered going to a bakery somewhere instead. Pancakes were made with a mix and water. The coffee, however, was good! The hotel is waterfront, but when we arrived, all the beach access was locked. It was about 4 p.m. or 5 p.m. Next day, we checked it out and were glad they locked it at night. It's nothing great. The houses nearby have not been maintained. It's not scenic. I'm attaching pictures, but like my title suggests-- Pictures ARE MISLEADING. on the surface this place looks good, but once here and staying, you're better off elsewhere. Trust me. Feel free to message me with questions.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luquillo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 3 in Fajardo
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Been to Hotel Yunque Mar? Share your experiences!