“Not what I expected”
Review of Hotel Yunque Mar

Hotel Yunque Mar
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Luquillo
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I chose this place because of the positive reviews. However, even though it was on the beach and close to everything I was surprised to find the beds with no coverlets, dingy and very much used towels and the breakfast which was touted as being" a la carte" was actually a choice between a ham,egg and cheese sandwich or scrambled eggs with a hot dog. The staff is very helpful and friendly but for the price I expected a little more.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 31, 2009

I think Tarhealer's review sums it up pretty well. My only other advice: try to guarantee a room either looking out onto the ocean or facing the pool. We faced the buildings next door, which was pretty grim. In fact I would have rated this place two stars if it didn't look like those poolside rooms were nicer. Unfortunately this seems to be the only hotel in the area that is moderately priced and takes one-night reservations. If anyone knows any others, let us know!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2009

First of all, this hotel is not on Luquillo beach - it is in a neighborhood called Fortuna, where the beach is almost nonexistent. The water comes right up to the front of the hotel, even at low tide, so it is impossible to even get onto the beach directly from the hotel without jumping into the ocean. This being said, I've never slept that close to the waves - quite romantic at night with the balcony door open. The rooms are clean, but simple, maybe overly so for the price. Breakfast is provided, made to order, otherwise dining options are within driving distance. It is close the el yunque rain forest, which would be the main reason to stay here.
Just fyi - the owner uses the hotel to throw personal parties and does not inform the guests. One does not know when the party is happening until it happens, and there is no good estimate of when the party may end.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tarhealer
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I just came back from my vacation in Puerto Rico and stayed at a great, small Hotel. It was close to all of the turist attractions in the area and the best surprise was it is right on the beach. The rooms were clean and comfortable. They even had a pool but the water was too cold to enjoy it. Maybe it would be in their interest to have a heated pool. The breakfast was included and I was surprised to find it was a full breakfast, homemade and delicious. The staff are very friendly and are very helpful in giving suggestions and directions to evrything from where to shop, eat, and enjoy the local entertainment. Cant wait to return anfd if you ever catch yourself there make sure to ask for Sandra, she's great!!

Hasta Luego,
Michelle

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel together with my girlfriend in two different occasions in jan 2009.
Here there are my impressions; I try to be as objective as possible, but at any case, my point of view is going to be the one of an open minded european tourist in his late 20s.

LOCATION:
The best thing about it is probably its location, about 45 minutes away from San Juan airport and just 10 minutes away from both the El Yunque national tropical forest and the beaches at Luquillo. It is also in a quite convenient location for getting to Fajardo (ferry to Culebra, Vieques) or to the city of San Juan itself.

ROOMS:
The rooms where we stayed were both slightly outdated, but clean and cozy; the first one was actually not too big, whereas the second one was very roomy and comfortable. There is A/C and a small balcony in all of the hotel rooms; there's no room safe, but you can give all your valuable items to the staff which will hold them for you . Hotel is family owned and staff was nice with us all of the time, offering ice when needed, (good) advices on nearby restaurants and everything else we needed.

POOL/BEACH:
As some other reviewer pointed out, the pool is not to big, but nevertheless it's a nice calm place just to hang around & sun bathe or just relax. The beach in front of the hotel was also very shallow in this period of the year, but a 10 minutes walk allowed us to reach the Balneario (see pic), a very nice beach, especially suited for families, swimming (calm sea, sandy bottom) or simply relaxing. A 10 minutes drive also allowed us to reach the Luquillo town center and the "La Pared" (= "The Wall") beach, where some good wave activity and sandy bottom creates great conditions for boogie boarding and also surfing (looked to me like a great place where to start learning).

PLACES WHERE TO EAT:
Nearby area looks very peaceful and safe; even if the hotel lacks a restaurant, there are many options (restaurants/fast foods) available within the 5/10 minutes car ride range, so that it's hard to starve to death :-) Nearby Kioskos (see pic) can also be reached on foot in about 10 minutes. Following hotel staff suggestions, we ate at one of these, called the "La Parilla" (="The Grill") one night and lobster, as everything else we had, was delicious. Value was ok and staff was also very friendly. Then, following the owner suggestions, we also had dinner at a place called Sea King (just opposite the gas station near the cemetery, in Luquillo), but unfortunately the overall experience here hasn't been as memorable. Food was actually very good and very affordable also (great value here!). Too bad, what could've been a great dining experience for us was ruined by some completely untrained and rude waiter there. If you're lucky to have some nicer person serving you, I'm sure this can turn out into a wonderful experience. At any case, I guess the whole Luquillo area is very good for eating some great sea food. It basically won't be hard to find a place to eat. ;-) Sodas, Beers and other drinks can be purchased directly at the hotel, which also offers complimentary ice and serves a decent breakfast in the morning.

VALUE:
Back to the hotel, value was ok for us, but it could've actually been a little better. This is not to say I was not satisfied overall, but now I know there are some discounts on certain periods at the hotel and then the price per night definitely becomes much more interesting. Still, I think we've got what we've payed for, especially when I compare the hotel with other facilities we stayed in the Caribbeans (probably not the cheapest area in the world :-)

OVERALL
My girlfriend and me love to try to blend with the culture and lifestyle of the places we visit and, although we expect cleanliness, we don't have high luxury standards; my review has been written accordingly and I can say this has been a good experience for us. We might also decide to come back. sometimes in the future.
Of course, if luxury is mandatory for you and you're used to big 5 star resorts, you might be probably better off looking at some other place. It's the Caribbean though, so if you're looking for cheap luxury, I'm afraid you might have better luck just heading to Vegas instead ;-)

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 3pointsteve
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Spent 3 nights at the Yunque Mar Hotel. The rooms are very basic, our "ocean view w/king bed" is just that. A king bed, one chair, small table, small dresser, and small bathroom. The balcony over looking the pool and the ocean was very nice. We spent some afternoon hours out there sipping cocktails and enjoying the view. The rooms were very plain (all white), but very clean.
The hotel is outside of Luquillo, in a quiet neighborhood, with the hotel located right on the ocean. There is no real beach in front of the hotel, but a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel in either direction takes you to a pleasant stretch of sand. There is a lot of litter on the beach - wear shoes when walking to avoid the broken glass. Luquillo beach is just a 5 minute drive away. Luquillo beach is very pretty and clean, w/bathrooms and food stands right on the beach.
The staff at Y.M. was excellent! Sandra and her crew went out of their way to help us find good food stands (the kiosks down the road have some outstanding choices), good beaches, a bank, etc. They provide a nice breakfast every morning - coffee, juice, and your choice of 3 different breakfasts. They do NOT allow coolers, so if you are planning on bringing some food in, keep that in mind.
El Yunque Rain forest is a 10 minute drive away. While not as beautiful as Costa Rica, Belize, etc, it was very pretty, and with its paved paths, made for nice hikes. Bring a rain coat, hike in the rain, and you will have most trails all to yourselves.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank robingrn
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I agree with the other reviews describing this hotel as basic but comfortable. It's a great location, right near Luquillo Beach and a quick drive to El Yunque national rainforest.
The only problem was that the restaurant has seemingly been abandoned. We weren't told until we checked in and went looking for dinner that they now only serve (a very sub-par) breakfast. Since the area lacks restaurants and we were counting on eating most meals right at the hotel, this was an unwelcome surprise.
They supposedly have a bar that's still operational, but no one was ever there to serve us when we looked, and the front desk was often left unstaffed.
Other than that, it was a decent place for the price. I'm not sure if the restaurant situation is permanent or seasonal; definitely ask about it if you are thinking about staying there.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank eb86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luquillo
The Fajardo Inn
Parador Palmas De Lucia
Olive Boutique Hotel
Olive Boutique Hotel
#4 of 47 in San Juan

Been to Hotel Yunque Mar? Share your experiences!