“A very nice little local hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Yunque Mar

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Yunque Mar
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Luquillo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“A very nice little local hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay there. People at the front desk are really nice and helpful, rooms are clean, and the view of the place is great. The only thing I wish was different is the number of options for breakfast and the quality of it

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank luisina62
Yunquemar, Owner at Hotel Yunque Mar, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for your review of our Hotel Yunque Mar. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and looking forward to your next visit! Feel free to give us a call anytime to discuss any suggestions that would help us improve our breakfast. Also we can be reached on our Facebook page, where other visitor reviews and specials are posted. Thank you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I expected a no-frills kind of place, but this was more austere than I expected. There wasn't even a bar of soap to wash your hands. I could have spruced up the room with very minimal effort since there was nothing in it, and what was there was from the 1980s or earlier. The ocean views are nice but from the side, not directly toward the front unless you have the suite (I had a king ocean view). Also, the balcony had a rusty air conditioner or something on it that hindered the pleasant view. We received advice about the ferry to Culebra that was just plain wrong, and we were not able to get on the ferry. Also, I accidentally left an article of clothing hanging to dry in the room when I checked out, went back to pick it up, and they said it was gone. It was a nice Nike shirt so I am sure someone there is now wearing it. The hotel is right on the ocean and is not dirty, but it was very disappointing. I was looking for a small hotel experience (not a resort experience), but this was not it. I found that nice experience at the next hotel I stayed at in Luquillo which was wonderful. I wish I had stayed there the whole time. Maybe I would have gotten to Culebra and not ruined my vacation.

Room Tip: The rooms face the ocean from the side, not directly on, unless you have a suite. I didn't reali...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dancinfool22
Yunquemar, Owner at Hotel Yunque Mar, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
We're sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. For sure we all remember you and enjoyed having you all stay with us. With the situation of the ferries, the information is rather straight forward, we have the schedule and the map to get there. The ferries taking visitors to Culebra are part of a subsidized public transportation and are not the most dependable. The best advice we can give to visitors is to leave really early in the morning to get there in advance, and to eat lightly, because the ferry ride is a bit rough at times. I remember your disappointment in not making it, and I am sorry that didn't work out for you. I also remember you coming to the hotel various times to find your t-shirt. We looked high and low for it, but did not find it. The only person to be in your room from the time you checked out to when you returned looking for it was the assistant manager. She was genuinely concerned, and together, we examined camera footage, asked everyone here, and attempted to locate this shirt. Unfortunately, we never found it at all. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to your next visit to Puerto Rico :-)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Hotel Yunque Mar provided excellent service last week when I stayed with a group of 12 students. The owner lent us towels for nearby Luquillo beach and connected us to the new Mexican restaurant across the street who delivered food to the deck overlooking the ocean. He also provided tips and directions to other locations and even offered to make calls for us. The hotel was quiet and allowed us space to practice yoga on the deck, relax in clean, air conditioned rooms, and an easy home base for kayak trips to the bay,

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank King_Marissa
Yunquemar, Owner at Hotel Yunque Mar, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We enjoyed having you stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to our property!
Metro Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hotel was clean, but nothing special. Room 203 has a great view of the ocean without paying extra for water front rooms. Provided free WiFi, A/C and clean rooms, breakfast was minimal. The best thing about this place is it's access to Fortuna Beach. With a 20 to 30 minute walk you're on one of the finest beaches in Puerto Rico! It's also within a 10 minute walk to the Loquillo 50 plus side by side kiosk food stalls. We had a great dinner at LaParilla #2.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank TripswithMaggie
Yunquemar, Owner at Hotel Yunque Mar, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We enjoyed having you stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back! For future reference, the breakfast is served in standard serving sizes...if you want seconds, all you have to do is ask :-)
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I am still stoned.
Despite a great location and even a nice building (which unfortunately has not been properly taken care of) I must write a negative review for this hotel.
They are really sparing money where they can.
Breakfast is extremely small and has to be paid separately.
Internet works only somehow close to the reception.
And worse of it, they do not keep what they promise.
We stayed there once and had to return for a night some days later.
During the first stay I complained a lot for the breakfast, the internet and the price, which of course did not match what they had promised me on the phone. The complaints did not help much, but we could agree on a half-way solution.
But the surprise was the second time we wanted to stay there.
I had discussed a price on the phone, but as I arrived it was more expensive like the first time.
This time however the person at reception did not want to speak at all: "Either you take it or you leave. I do not care what was told you on the phone.".
To my comment: "This is very rude and not the proper way to treat customers nor do business". The person went crazy jelling at us and threatened to call the police.
We were astonished, but since the person stood up and began waving hands and shouting "Go to hell" we simply said politely goodbye and left.
Freeky... Really.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Tom_and_Ana
Yunquemar, Owner at Hotel Yunque Mar, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for your interest in our Hotel Yunque Mar! Hotel YunqueMar invites you on a journey of discovery. Escape to destinations where spectacular landscapes, historical wonders, magnificent beaches and wild adventure promise to create memories for a lifetime. Hotel Yunque Mar offers the convenience of a great location, an economic price for lodging, and the safe integration into the local culture as you visit our home.
Management reserves the right to refuse service or admission. The use of illicit substances on property or other illegal activities that present a risk to our guests and staff is strictly prohibited. Our property works regularly with local law enforcement to protect the interests of our guests and our property.
Blackstone, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

This is a very nice family owned hotel. It was very clean and right on the beach. What I enjoyed most was being treated like family from the minute Demian welcomed us to the day we left when Suzanne gave us written directions to some sites to visit on our way to Rincon. Edgar, the owner, could not have been nicer to us.
The hotel was a 10 minute walk to the public beach and the kioskos (60 restaurants in one place) that Luquillo is known for. The hotel is a short drive to the El Yunque rainforest. A full breakfast was included with 4 choices on the menu everyday from eggs to blueberry pancakes. The parking lot for the hotel is across the street and there is no extra charge.I hope to return to this little gem in Luquillo very soon.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have an ocean view. some of the rooms have refrigerators and coffee pots but not a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maggie P
Valparaiso, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We were looking for a place to stay after a day at El Yunque Rainforest, and we prefer the paradores/small inns. So we were pleased to find this one. They emailed me driving directions, and it was no problem to find, even though it's in a small neighborhood with no other commercial business. We were pleased with the off-street private parking, and the location right on the beach. Please note that there is no elevator, so you must carry bags upstairs. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the bathrooms updated. However, we noticed that the walls are very thin.. perhaps the A/C can make up for it? Thankfully, the live music was not playing. In late January we got an especially good price for the room, and enjoyed the hot breakfast, cooked to order. It was a quick drive at night (or 30-minute walk in daytime) to the kiosks where fresh seafood is offered for a meal. Perhaps the best dinner we had during our week in Puerto Rico was at one kiosk--selected at random--the Osso Buco. Because of the location, convenience and cleanliness, I can certainly recommend this guesthouse to those who like small hotels, and aren't too fussy about details.

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money for ocean view. You can hear the waves crashing from any room, and t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank kelly053
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luquillo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 3 in Fajardo
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Been to Hotel Yunque Mar? Share your experiences!