“Nice but Very Basic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luquillo
Lititz PA
“Nice but Very Basic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Very nice, no frills hotel right on the beach. Unfortunately, due to erosion, there is no beach access in the winter and we had to drive to a local beach which turned out to be quite nice. I have been told that you can walk the beach outside of the hotel in the summer months but we were not able to do that. The pool looked nice and clean but was too cold for us to swim in.

The staff was very nice, friendly and very accomodating.

We stayed in a suite (#208) and it was clean and comfortable with a mini fridge, microwave and TV in each of the 2 bedrooms.

Breakfast was good with coffee, juice and your choice of an egg and ham sandwich, pancakes & eggs, or ham and eggs. It was cooked to order.

A small convenience store is located right across the street but other than that it is a residential neighborhood and there are no shops or restaurants within walking distance.

Parking is free and right across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brownrexx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my friends 6 of us in room 207, that room as best view, from the bedroom, you can see and hear the sea thundering waves all night, all day. The beach behind the hotel is eaten up by sea, so now the waves are crashing against the hotel wall, imagine the sound.
Best part beside the view is the morning breakfast, which is freshly made to order and is yummy (and free)
my only concern was, of our stay for one day, our room was not cleaned (partly cleaned) and room door was left open. beside that I loved the place and staff!
Staff did apologized for this miss.

Room Tip: make sure to go for Room 207 / 208 for the best view, only if you can take the sound of waves all ni...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Clean and functional place to stay, but there are absolutely no extras in these rooms; bare minimal furniture, towels, lights, etc. disappointed that there was so much beach erosion you couldn't get out onto the beach in front of the hotel. Also, the pool was green while I was there- disappointing again. There aren't many hotels in this part of the island, so you might be stuck with this one, but at least get an ocean view room upstairs.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went to this hotel at the very last minute. The people at the front desk were super nice and helpful; specially when it came to giving us direction and recomendations on places and things to do. Our room was directly with a view to the pool and the ocean. We did not know this, but the days that we were there, dinner was included (3 of us) at the restaurant in the same building "Casa Patria", the food was AWASOME!!!

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with background noise, ask for a room near the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Grayslake, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel is located in a residential area. The only reason I gave this place 3 stars is because of the great service.

We arrived early as we were able to get off our cruise early, they were able to have a room ready for us with minimal wait. The breakfast was ok, nothing special, but was brought quickly. And then when we needed to print our boarding passes, they let me into the office so I could do the online checkin and print the boarding passes, which saved us ALOT of time.

The rooms were acceptable, nothing fancy. The AC worked great, we had no issues with the water pressure or temp. The bed was acceptable. The pillows were extremely scrawny, which we asked for additional ones. The wireless worked -ok-, there were times we had trouble getting reception, but overall, it was acceptable.

The problems we had - the pool was COLD, and this is coming from someone born and raised in the Chicago area. The pool chairs were in disrepair, and the cusions were disgusting (we removed them before laying down. The beach, although swimable for experienced swimmers, was unaccessable - the gate from the hotel to the beach was locked, and the lock was very rusted.

Our next problem was noise. The halls are all concrete/tile, so if anyone has a conversation, it carries very well. There were groups of people that liked to talk LOUDLY, and we found it impossible to take a nap, let alone watch a movie on our laptop, even with headsets.

Overall, this place was nothing fancy or exotic, but if you are going to the National Park, its a good move, as it is VERY close. Just be prepared to expect an 'authentic' Puerto Rican hotel.

Room Tip: The noise might not be so bad on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarkChw
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The room was clean, air conditioning was great, small tv and a bit outdated but who cares? I went to enjoy the Puerto Rican experience. The beach is just a door away! Beautiful during the night and day. It was great to just walk the beach after a nice breakfast. BTW, during the night you can see the water glistening what a wonderful view of the caribbean! The breakfast is not your nasty normal continental breakfast, coffee is real Puerto Rican coffee not watered down and the sandwich is a typical morning sandwich from the locals. I really enjoyed waking up in this place, simple, peaceful and full of a great view.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first floor and enjoyed just talking in the balcony during late night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

I have been to PR three times, and I stayed at a different budget hotel (hotels around $100) each time. This was by far the best hotel experience. First of all, there is a (free) gated parking lot. I interacted with three employees and they both spoke English and were very nice. The room was pretty big compared to most and was spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable, though the furniture was dated and the TV was small. The shower was huge compared to the others I have seen. The air conditioner is newer and works great. The doors are kinda heavy and the tile floors echo, so there is a little noise from the hall, but the waves crashing on the shore 20 feet away drowns it out. There is a very nice basic pool, and a hot tub. The outdoor breakfast area overlooks the beach, and it is amazing. I spent all of my time out there - shaded, with lounge chairs and a beautiful view. You can walk out the back door to the beach, and walk along the shore for miles. If you walk to the right (east) you can walk to the Luquillo kiosks for a variety of restaurants and shops. The hotel is surrounded by houses, but there are lots of signs and I found it even in the dark. There were only two towels and pillows in the room, but I am sure you can ask for more. The doors to the room are very heavy and have regular exterior door locks, so I felt very secure. The breakfast was the best I have had at a hotel in a while. Coffee, OJ (not the watered down kind), and made to order hot breakfast options. I had the egg, ham, and cheese sandwhich, but there were also pancakes on the menu. Breakfast starts at 8am, but because I was out there they fixed breakfast for me around 7am. I didn't bring my laptop, but allegedly they have WiFi in the rooms. It's not a luxury beach resort, but it is a wonderful option for those of us that don't want to spend so much on a hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank supercat912
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luquillo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Been to Hotel Yunque Mar? Share your experiences!