“Best service in PR -period”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vejigante - CLOSED

Vejigante
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: ITS on pr 3 we where traveling east to fajardo and found this place
El Paso, Texas
“Best service in PR -period”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were told by the concierge at the hotel that the food stands in Luquillo were a place to try typical Puerto Rican food. So after trekking up and down El Yunque we decided to make a pit stop. We walked through all the stands and discovered that they were mostly bars; and the only place that welcomed us in was Vejigante. our decision to walk In was the best food decision I made during my entire week in PR. I was beginning to think that no one on the island understood the meaning of please, thank you, and common customer service, but WHOAH was I surprised. The server was attentive and the food was absolutely delicious. I had the stuffed pork chop (divine) and my girlfriend had the lobster soup (out of this world). The only downside was there was a swarm of annoying flies that were in the rear of the restaurant, but it was raining and the rear of the restaurant faces the beach. But the front has fans blowing and they never bothered us there. The server was always around when needed and never went MIA. At the end of our delicious meal, he offered me a sincere "thank you" and a handshake - neither of which I received during the other 20+ meals I ate while in PR. Do yourself a favor and make a point of dropping in if you're in the area; these people serve great food and most Importantly they understand what customer service is.

Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Puerto Rican Food, Period”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The kiosks in Luquillo come highly recommended. My fiancee and I walked down the entire row of kiosks and were greeted only twice. The first was by a small vendor, the second by a nice woman at #31. She was extremely pleasant and inviting, and we decided to come back to the kiosk for dinner.

Our server was able to describe menu choices in detail. Mofongo is a popular dish in PR, so we decided to try our luck with that and a few other choices. Not only was the food fantastic, our server was very attentive to our needs and checked on us often. We were even greeted twice by a manager and again by the chef who prepared our meal. Everyone seemed genuinely concerned about our experience. We loved the mofongo here, and we tried mofongo about 5 different times in different places on the island later. The mofongo here was the best - we didn't even LIKE the dish at other places. If you're in/near Luquillo, this is the place to eat.

1 Thank John T
home
“Amazing Food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Our party of nine was uncertain of where to eat. There were so many options. However the kids went on TripAdvisor and decided this was the one.
The food was so delicious and yummy.
We had the steak monfongo, paella, fried yuca, shrimp, pork and flan. Our party of nine did not have any complaints. Everyone agreed the food was excellent and so was the presentation.
The server, Freddy was attentive. He said the food was made to order and made fresh. Our entire party of nine from New Jersey will be returning.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The food was really great. My husband and I both wanted to try something traditional and local and got both got dishes we had never tried before. His mofongo was excellent in the garlic sauce. I ordered the snapper and was really...REALLY...surprised to find an entire fish on my plate, head and all. I have a little bit of fish phobia so I slightly freaked out for a minute. The waitress was SO gracious! She immediately went to get gloves and a knife and beheaded my dinner for me without laughing or rolling her eyes or anything!

This restaurant has a welcoming and inviting staff who will seriously bend over backwards to make you happy. It was a wonderful experience for both of us!

• Visited June 2013
“Best dish I had during my vacation to PR!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

It doesn't look like much of anything from the outside, especially since it is located in the middle of a strip of 60 run down bars and restaurants. But don't let that fool or deter you! We had the sausage and plantain skewers with a chimmichuri sauce as our appetizer--KILLER! So delicious! We both had mojitos and they, too, were very good. My husband had the mofongo with churassco (skirt steak) with creolla sauce. It was outstanding and he said it was the best mofongo he had had. I had the pork chop stuffed with a plantain mixture, topped with a mango salsa and a side of rice and beans. This was the best plate of food I had in PR, and possibly ever! Seared perfectly, juicy, cooked to perfection, full of flavor, and just down right delicious! The wait staff and manager were very friendly and helpful as well. Run--don't walk--to this restaurant! You are guaranteed a delicious and authentic PR feast!