“It Ain't Fancy, but the Food is Great”
Review of Vejigante - CLOSED

Vejigante
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: ITS on pr 3 we where traveling east to fajardo and found this place
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We wanted to get away from our resort for some local cuisine, and they recommended Vejigante at the Loquillo kiosks. A little scary when you first drive up, but have know fear. We were greeted by a very friendly manager who treated us like friends. The menu had a good variety of local "Like Mama used to make" dishes.The food was really good, and very reasonably priced. We had coconut fritters stuffed with octopus and conch - delicious. I had Mofongo with chicken and creole sauce (wow!) and my wife had the most beautiful grouper fillet, cooked to perfection. Drinks were $6 and the Heinekens were $3. Although it sort of felt like we were eating in someone's garage (ok, a nicely decorated garage), it was love at first bite. Great place for lunch.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

They were closed when we called on Monday and Tuesday but we were persistent because we had heard so many good things about this place. We were glad we didn't give up. We had dinner there on Wednesday and they did not disappoint. We recommend the whole red snapper and the Puerto Rican fried chicken. Delicious! And the staff from the chef to our servers made us feel very welcome.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The food was delicious and the chef even made me a special dish just for me and then came to my table to meet me. The waiter, Freddy, was also fantastic. This is a restaurant you must try in PR. kiosk #31 in Luquillo.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

my girlfriend and i were traveling through, fresh from the airport and we were very hungry. we ordered mojitos that were very tasty, i had some ribs that had to be the most tender set of ribs i've ever had... meat fell off the bone, easy. i'm a fan of mofongo. my girlfriend had a tasty shrimp dish drizzled with a garlic sauce. great food. wonderful setting. the chef even checked on us to see how great the food was, i guess he knew once he saw the clean plates. not a trace of food. bones and dishes. Thank you Vejigante for showing us a piece of Puerto Rico.

Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We went for dinner last night. We had the plantain soup, which was a lillte disapointed. It tasted like sofrito's soup instead of plantain's soup.
We also has chicharrones de pollo with tamarind souce (mmm) and trifongo (oh God, was awsome!). The best thing is that it was less than $30 with tax + tip!
The only downside is that the place was very hot. There were a couple of fans around, but the heat was terrible last night.
Eventhough, I would defenetly go back & if I can,I will go today for lunch.