“One of the best places to eat between San Juan and Fajardo”
Review of Ay Bonito! Grill - CLOSED

Ay Bonito! Grill
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican, International, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Kiosko #21, Luquillo, Puerto Rico.Open for Dinner: Wed - Sun: 5 pm to 10 pm
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“One of the best places to eat between San Juan and Fajardo”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

This place is clean, has a great atmosphere, live music in the evenings (starts around 9 PM), lovely and friendly cats and, first and foremost, it serves great, tasty food!

We ordered fried cheese with guava sauce and fish balls for appetizers, and both were perfect. The main courses included pan-seared red snapper for my wife and crab cakes (actually an appetizer, but there are two of them) for myself. Both were perfectly cooked and fresh, and we are talking about people regularly visiting their daughter in Baltimore, very well aware of what a good crab cake means: -)

Also, one if the cats truly liked my wife and was trying desperately to get some attention, or may be it just smelled that perfect red snapper... Anyway, despite the assurances from the people working there that the cats were properly fed earlier, it has got its share of the fish, and also a lot of attention...

Overall a highly recommended place: Great food, friendly atmosphere, attentive and helpful staff, very reasonable prices and adorable cats!

Gainesville, FL
“Amazing Kiosk in Luquillo Beach”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico but moved to the Mainland USA since 1998. I used to go to the Luquillo kiosks while growing up and was really amazed at the change in the quality of the kiosks in the past 15 years! Ay Bonito is a perfect example. The kiosks used to be just traditional Puertorrican fried finger food and beer. Now you have full restaurants with international cuisine with a latin twist. Ay Bonito is one of them. Some call it fusion, I call it AMAZING! For appetizers we had the pizza margherita as well as their interpretation of a "caldo gallego" and both were delicious! For our entrees we had a variety of their dishes including Churrasco, Parmesan crusted chicken, Grilled chicken, Pork chops (Huge, by the way!) and Pasta with shrimp. We had a variety of sides also but I most remember their lemon risotto. We all agreed that they were all very good. I can personally attest to the flavor of all but the pasta since that was the only dish I didn't taste. For dessert we had a cheesecake mouse which was a very novel presentation of a traditional cheesecake. It was delicious as well. The service was very attentive. Both the waitress and the co-owner were always checking that we were taken care of. I did see the cats but they were never in the food preparation area nor the bar. They roam around the tables but never climb onto food service areas. It is an open restaurant with free, ample access to the road and the backyard so it is difficult to keep them out but it was never something that caused me concern for the safety and quality of the food. The restrooms are very clean and well supplied. The prices are in par with a restaurant serving this kind of food. Even though the restaurant itself is rustic, the quality of the good and the service are worth the price. We spoke with the owners and they use organic ingredients in all their dishes. They go to the local market to pick the fresh ingredients for the food and grow some of the herbs they use themselves. All in all, a very good restaurant, worth the drive from San Juan!

• Visited December 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Delicious!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We celebrated my birthday here. Food was delicious. We are vegetarian, which they could accommodate. I had the penne pasta with vodka sauce. Yes, I know, strange choice for Puerto Rico, but it was as good as I've had in Hoboken, NJ! For dessert, we tried the Coconut Mousse Cheesecake. Wow! Fluffy and delicious. The waitress and owner/chef were very friendly. What a nice birthday.

• Visited January 2014
Albany, New York
“Delicious Puerto Rican food!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We decided to stop off at Luquillo Beach after a day at El Yunque. The 6 of us ( parents and 4 teenagers) walked along the beach and then went to the Kioskos. The place we had planned on eating was not open so we kept walking. Ay Bonito! was just opening and the woman opening the gate told me that they had plantain soup that day. Honestly, I really needed to use the bathroom so we decided to stop. Had I checked the reviews, we may have been headed here in the first place. The bathrooms were small but clean. I write this as many of the bathrooms near the beach left much to be desired and I did not expect much so was pleasantly surprised.

We ordered flat bread pizzas to start as we were all famished after our day of hiking. They were delicious. One was hummus and a strange combination but everyone loved it. I think the other was a traditional pizza, but also very good. My husband and son shared the plantain soup and were quite happy with it. I started with a salad which was also good.

I ordered a chicken platter with sauteed onion, amarillo mash and a light sauce. Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed every bite!! One of the kids ordered a burger and another churrasco. Both enjoyed their meals as well. I believe the three others ordered different fish (chillo, grouper and something else) and were thrilled. We had tostones, rice and beans and amarillos as accompaniments and all were delicious. The waiter was fantastic and spent some time with my youngest who is a vegetarian. He helped to guide her as to what to eat that she would both enjoy and contained no meat. He really went out of his way. I think the bill was around $160 which included a couple of medallas and sodas and after tax and a generous tip---which was great for the 6 of us.

The restaurant is small and the bar takes up a third of it...we were able to talk to some of the people around us and enjoyed the atmosphere as well. The kioskos look like holes in the wall and I guess basically are, but are so worth it. The food is excellent and we will definitely go back. I'm glad the burger place was closed!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Lisa P
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Great choice.”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

On our trip to Puerto Rico, we were looking for dinners with more cultural flare than the resort we were staying at. Overall the kiosks don't look that nice, but they are fine, and this one was our best meal in PR. The service was great. The waitress took time to explain some of the local foods. The food was excellent. The kids were happy with pasta and chicken. We would definitely return.

• Visited January 2014