“Not as good as last time”
Review of Ay Bonito! Grill - CLOSED

Ay Bonito! Grill
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Kiosko #21, Luquillo, Puerto Rico.Open for Dinner: Wed - Sun: 5 pm to 10 pm
Reviewed February 11, 2013

It pains me to write this review because on our last visit to Puerto Rico this was our favorite meal. I don't know if it was an off night, but both my husband and I were disappointed in the food. We also noticed the menu has changed (for example used to have seafood frittes with mahi mahi, but now they use cod and it wasn't so good). I had the crab cake for an appetizer and it was delic, but my husband's cod frittes were bland. For the main course my husband had a fish entrée (forget which one) and I had the skirt steak. Both were just ok, my steak was very tough and overcooked. One of the people beside us had a pork chop entrée that looked delic, but she said it was all dried out. Since dessert was fabulous during our last visit, we wanted to order it. But was told they didn't have anything tonight.

I truly think we just had bad luck this time, but if the owners are reading this review please take care as to not overcook the food. I think it's easier to undercook and put it back on. Once something is dried out, there's nothing that can be done to fix it. I should mention I never said anything, so did not give the owners a chance to correct the food. We just ate it anyway.

There are newer reviews for Ay Bonito! Grill

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to this place based on Tripadvisor reviews and I am glad we did. This little place had the best skirt steak I have ever had. We were a group of 6 friends and every single one enjoyed their food.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

while some of the kiosks have started to take themselves a little too seriously, ay bonito still sees itself as a nice little restaurant among the line of kiosks.the fusion does not take it so far away from the original that you cannot see the traditional dish that it stemmed from. the owner/chef still comes around the tables to see if you enjoyed his creations and to talk about his goals for the restaurant, while his wife graciously seats you.. for a start, we had a very unique appetizer..hummus pizza. this consisted of freshly made hummus spread on a pita bread and baked as a personal size "pizza". along with our painkiller drinks, this made a refreshing and fun beginning to the evening. for the main dish,i had the halibut wrapped in prosciuto (halibut satimbacca). this came with a side of mashed malanga, a native root crop...delicious. an informal evening in a laid back restaurant with good food led to a fun evening.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The fish was delicious, fresh and simply prepared, not heavy and fried like we found elsewhere. The rum drinks were original and delicious and the waitress brought us a special homemade liquor, coquito, after dinner, as a special treat. Highly recommended.

1  Thank lostro
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I had the special, grouper or snapper, can't remember which. Was the best fish I had while on the island. The appetizers were good but average. Even though we were there on Fri night it was very quiet compared to other places and the only reason we stopped here was good previous reviews on TA. Price was right though as one of the few places my wife and I were able to keep it under $50 for the whole week. We typically get an app, an entree, a dessert, and a couple drinks. This place felt a bit more American than others, for what it is worth and wait staff helpful but not eager.