“Fabulous food in a surprising little place”
Review of Pasta y Pueblo

Pasta y Pueblo
Ranked #1 of 79 Restaurants in Luquillo
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ottawa, Canada
“Fabulous food in a surprising little place”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I just got back from dinner at Pasta y Pueblo, and it is really all that it is said to be here! This place really doesn't look like anything. A few days ago, we roamed around Luquillo with our cameras, taking some photographs, and we saw this place, which was closed at the time. It certainly didn't look like a restaurant. Well, I just read about it this afternoon on Trip Advisor and we headed there right away.

The other reviews are correct: get there early! We arrived at 5:25 and were the first to arrive. The owner's daughter greeted us and let us into the sheltered area to wait for dinner. We thought we were ridiculously early, but three more people arrived just a few minutes later. The place opens at 6 pm, and by the time they did open, there were already way more people waiting than could fit in the restaurant (it seats about 25 people).

The service is good but don't be in a hurry. In any case, it is totally worth the wait.

My husband and I shared the salad, which was so wonderful and flavorful! Best I'd had in a long time! I had the special of the day: lobster tail with penne in carbonara sauce. It was fabulous. My husband had the surf and turf, with the same pasta, and it was also fabulous.

The portions were very generous, and we finished everything. It was all delightful and perfectly seasoned and cooked, and plated very attractively. We were already full but could not resist trying the guava cheesecake, which was also excellent.

The restaurant looks like a little diner, the floor is not finished, and if you have to wait, it's under a tarp outside, but the atmosphere is so warm and wonderful, it all feels like you've been invited at someone's home for dinner, so it is really just fun. We were there for about two hours after we sat down to eat, and people were still lined up when we got out. One woman came right to me to ask what I had eaten, because she said it looked sooo good!

Prices were very reasonable. Not cheap, but not too high either. We both felt it was a very good price for what we got.

We will most likely go back before we leave Puerto Rico, because I also saw the plate of scallops they served, and they look delicious. I definitely have to try these as well.

• Finnish first
Louisville, Kentucky
“Fun and different”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We first drove by this place when it was closed and didn't even notice it. First of all there really is only 5 tables. We got there right at 6pm and got the last table on a Saturday night. Others waiting about 45 min to hour for the next table to open up. Gravel floor but comfortable seats. It was a very nice night out but it is open air so not sure what happens when it rains. Food was very tasty. My fish was slightly over cooked but still good my husband really liked the steak and the coconut rice was amazing along with the guava cheesecake. This is a place we would go back to! Would try and get there when they first open though.

Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Excellent family run restaurant”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I loved this place. Low key, easy, breezy. Got there at 5:55 and already a full house crowd. (They open at 6). Ended up waiting over an hour for a table, but the owner/chef personally came out from the kitchen to give us not one, but TWO appetizers because he "liked the way" we waited. This with a fully packed restaurant. While we waited, the owner's kids chatted us up, and they were absolutely charming. I mean really, really smart and charming and sweet to the point that this was one of my favorite moments of our vacation. No joke. The appetizers the chef brought us were a manchego cheese wrapped with serrano ham and drizzled with balsamic glaze. Fabulous. The second was two smoky discs of eggplant (there was some debate between the son and daughter about exactly what it was, lol) topped with a garlicky broccoli puree--- "my mom makes that" said the son (Rio) accompanied by another two sticks of the cheese drizzled with pesto. Can I talk about the pesto? The pesto is out of this world. get something, anything, with pesto on it. When we sat down we ordered more of the manchego/serrano dish, roasted peppers, and the mussels to start. Everything was perfect. I highly recommend the mussels. Unbelievably tasty with an unexpected creamy sauce. Literally, you could lick the plate. This place should offer bread. I'd pay for it just to mop up these sauces. I had the coconut curry shrimp with coconut rice, which was actually very light. I was expecting a heavy curry sauce. Delicious. Coconut rice is on the sweeter side, which played well with the shrimp. Hubby had a special of steak and shrimp over pasta with a Carbonara sauce. He finished every bite. I tried a bite of steak and it was perfectly cooked, as was the pasta. All the sauces are awesome, but I was particularly partial to the pesto. Very small, open air place with a gravel floor. There was never a time when people were not waiting. So worth it. Chef's wife is the sole waitress and hostess. Very lovely and sweet. Chef came out of the kitchen and stopped at each table to see how everyone was doing. This just speaks volumes to the quality and pride that this place takes with their food and service. What a nice guy. Don't bother going here if you have no patience, but it is totally worth the wait.

UP Michigan
“Knock Your Socks Off”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

What an awesome meal. My wife and I cannot remember a more flavor packed experience. The garden salad we shared was bountiful and delicious. I had the skirt steak and she had the scallops. Both were seasoned and cooked to perfection. The highlight, however, was the side of pasta with carbonara sauce - knocked our socks off.
The wait time to dine seems to be all over the map. There are only about 6 tables. Some say to get there about 5:30 pm to get in on the first seating at 6:00. We talked to some folks who did that and were seated and served promptly. We went over at 6:00 and put our name on the list, with a projected 45 minute wait. We. Showed up after 30 minutes, waited outside for another 45 minutes, then waited about an hour for our food. But, it was worth it.

• Visited January 2014
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
“In Luquillo must go”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Don't worry about the outside , the food is great. Each meal is prepared individually and is worth the wait. Will be back and back and back

Visited January 2014