“For real” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viking's Rasta Retreats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Beach
Viking's Rasta Retreats
You added Viking's Rasta Retreats to your Saves list
Ranked #8 of 15 Treasure Beach B&B and Inns
Waco, Texas
“For real”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

With only two weeks in Jamaica, the trip went from great to better to best when we finally ended up at Viking's place. Deeply relaxing and special people and a special place. A man who makes good coffee early in the morning is a treasure! Thanks from Carol and Anita x soo come back :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and it was great, the retreat is super quiet as you'd expect. We walked 2 mins through the field to a stunning beach - with no one else on it! Paradise.

Viking and his brother are lovely open & warmhearted people and quickly engaged us in a convo on football upon hearing we're from London.

This is a great option for secluded bliss and to discover more of this beautiful country

• Stayed February 2013
Ventnor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We travelled to Treasure Beach December 2012, and I can simply say I'm sure we picked the best place for accommodation, company and surroundings. Arriving 2 hours early we moved all our bags to the two upstairs rooms, which have a joint terrace area with a table and chair (nice place to eat breakfast in the morning). The people were all real Jamaicans, warm hearted, amazing people, as well as having other backpackers and groups staying in the other rooms who were always chatty and kind. The scenario was simply paradise, the 2 minute walk to the little beach, past a beautiful gold field, was blissful, and the actual beach was unlike that of Negril or Ocho Rios, empty and all yours. The water didn't seem to go very warm, but that was okay as a nice cold shower is the best thing for the heat in Jamaica. The room was cosy, had everything you needed to live by and wasn't too hot, the fans really keep it cool enough, and even though it was quite a dry area there was a nice breeze during the night time, however still couldn't get away from the mosquitos, I suggest to prepare for them if visiting treasure beach! All in all a beautiful place with amazing people, well done :)

Room Tip: If you want to book two rooms I suggest booking the two upstairs, as they have a communal terrace ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PatxiFC
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Would be the best description of Viking Genus and his residence. Although listed as a Bed and Breakfast I would consider it more like an extened house setting. The rooms for rent are spacious studio apartments (2 upstairs units with 2 beds and a downstairs Jr. Studio) right behind his house. The rate I recieved was for the slow (and rainy) season - well under a typical motel rate in Portland OR. Rasta Retreats is located right in between Calabash and Pedro (called Great Bay by locals) Bays. Both bays are about a 10 min walk in either direction(Pedro south, Calabash to the north). Rasta retreats is about 2 mins away from a more intimate area, Marys Bay, named after Vikings Mother. At night to find adventre, all one needs to do is go out to the water and follow the sounds of the melodious carib music coming front he various cabanas (i.e. rum bars) on the beaches.
Viking makes the most delicious ital (rastifarian cusine) nightly. The same food you are consuming he makes for his family.
Viking made sure my stay was comfortable, He was nonplussed by the numerious times I'd locked myself out of my room and way always happy to dicuss Rastafarian culture into the wee hours of the mornings over a few pints of Red Stripe and shots of Appleton Rum.
I stayed a total of 8 days in Treaure beach. Several of those days I pretty much tied myself to Vikings hip and tagged along during his daily activites.
The room itself was simple and adequate, It was the experience with my Host, Viking, that made it memorable.
This is def. a "hidden Gem" I'd save for those friends and friends of friends to recommend. But, as Tripadvisor was instrumental in my deciding factor, I felt id share.

Room Tip: if you like sleeping in, Ask Viking to install a blind for the sudden sunrises at 7:15AM. Allthough...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Zeph721
Paoli Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

I have been to this guest house four years in a row. To get a taste of authentic Jamaican culture, to get an overstanding of Rasta culture, there could be few places to compare. I know of none. The host, Viking, is one of the wisest humans you will ever meet. His philosophy of love and oneness means that your stay will be highlighted with the blessings that come in the prescence of such a person. The community is welcoming and invitive. They know their home is a paradise, and want only for us to respect and enjoy it. If you are interested in a Jamaica that is not over run by hyped up culture, but still offers excitement,(backpacking, annual music festivals, unique historical sites) the most amazing scenery and some of the best of foods your mouth can palate, VRR is it. I think nearly everyday of when I can return, and by the blessings of the Most High, it shall be sooner than later.

Oh and Shirley's massages and steam bathes . . . . seriously, cleanse your body and mind.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ScotchBonnet999
Finn in Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

My first stay at Viking's Rasta Retreats was in 2005, when I did not manage to book somewhere I originally wanted to go and found then Viking's House in the internet. We were touring Jamaica for a month for our honeymoon and were a bit scared because of the things you hear about especially Kingston in the news. When we arrived from Kingston in the middle of the night and found this house which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere we wondered where we had come... Next morning we realized we were not in the center of the touristic Treasure Beach but in the fully Jamaican Great Bay. No hustlers anywhere, everybody we saw was friendly, talkative when we were talkative but also left us alone when we wanted privacy. We spent 8 days that time and have gone back four times ever since, now planning our next trip in January, this time with our baby.

The rooms in the house are pretty bare but beautiful and well kept. Every room has a private bathroom and a small kitchenette (not sure about the kitchenette). There is no ac, but there are ceiling fans. The house catches a very nice breeze and at nights it really works and I never suffered from the heat. The upstairs rooms have really nice views of the mountains and the sea. The windows have mosquito "nets" so no mosquitos in the rooms. You can cook in your own kitchenette or using the main kitchen.

The ocean is very near: one minute walk through a field takes you to a pretty bay which is almost always empty for you to enjoy it all by yourself! 10 minute walk by the shore takes you to Great Bay where you have a several km long beach with very little waves and good for swimming, and if you walk the opposite way in 30 minutes you are in Treasure Beach and on the way there are several bays to swim in, some with more, some with less waves.

When it comes to food, we normally ask Viking to cook for us, but if you want to cook for yourself you can do that also. There is a supermarket in Great Bay and if you ask Viking, he can take you to a bigger supermarket in Junction that has a very good selection, it is about 15 min drive. There is a veggie/fruit van that comes a few times every week and a local "King Check" that sells fruit and veggies from his cart daily. In Treasure Beach there are restaurants, worth mentioning is Jack Sprat that serves seafood and pizzas outdoors by the beach, one of my favourite restaurants in the world. :) You can either walk or ask Viking to take you a ride.

In the evenings people mostly mingle and chat on the porch. Viking is from a big family and his siblings live in the neighboring houses and the extended Genus family members also come as the porch gets the best breeze in the area. There is a bar next door, run by Viking's little brother, which is normally closed in the evenings, but Viking has the key. :) If you want to be by yourself, the social activities very rarely produce much noise. If you want to party, at times there are stage shows at the Great Bay beach, and dances are organized several times a week around the area.

What is best about staying at Viking's Rasta Retreats is the host family. Viking is a man with wisdom, spirituality and a big heart and it is truly enjoyable to talk with him. His family takes such good care of you and you may start feeling like home very soon. Sitting under the mango tree at nights is something that I start thinking about immediately when the winter starts approaching Europe... :)

So if you are looking for real Jamaica and want to know real friendly Jamaican people, this is the perfect place to go. If you are looking for a resort, go elsewhere... Also this is really rural, so not much shopping to be done and moving around needs some planning or lots of walking... Also, you can do good hiking if that is your thing, I rather sit under that mango three. :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple