“Heaven”

Pon de Rock
London, United Kingdom
“Heaven”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 wonderful nights here. I have been to treasure beach on many occassions and I really regret not coming her sooner. This is the place to be if you want to get away from it all and spend quality time with the person or persons your with. The room looked exactly as that o fthe photograph. There was a caretaker at hand to give advise around local amenities it need be. And there is a beach around 10 mins away which was totally empty most to the time. You want to think about hiring a car as all the resteraunts are a bit away but Kevin the Caretaker is happy to pick up what you need or lend you his motorbike if you want to go yourself.
In short this palce was absolutley beautiful and I'm planning my return as we speak

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa Smith Thom... S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I orginally booked our stay at Pon de Rock for 7 nights in August. We loved the place so much that we ended up extending our stay another week. We stayed in the Yellow House in the Balcony Suite and I would definitley recommend it! We had the best view for watching both the sunrises and the sunsets which were breathtaking. Since we were there in the off season, we had the entire place to ourselves which was wonderful. Fort Charles beach which we would jog to every couple days, was so beautiful and we were completely alone. If you are looking for a beautiful secluded place to relax at this is the place for you. Kevin, the caretaker, was extremely helpful and would run into town for us to grab things that we needed. Make sure to try the local fresh fish! It's delicious. The villa is spacious, and clean. Just be sure to pick up a spray for the room to keep the ants out! Bring mosquitoe spray as well. Overall, great place and we absolutley loved it!

Room Tip: The Balcony Suite is your best bet for a beautiful view of the sunsets and ocean!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WorktoTravel2
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is paradise!
I'm sure!
We've only spent one week at Pon de Rock (Flo's studio) and enjoyed every single minute! Since the apartment is located far away from mass tourism, you wake up to the sound of birds, waves, nature. Highly recommended if you come to leave stress, worries etc. behind. This is no place to party, this is the place to recharge your batteries. The beach just down the road is amazing! We’ve been there all alone whenever we went there.
You have the most amazing sunsets on the beach, but also the lodge and the front of the lodge have the most amazing views for sunsets. They are stunning!
Even though road-conditions are very bad, I recommend you rent a car (you'll get used to the driving habits). Even though Kevin is always there if you need anything from the grocery store or when showing you his cooking/bbq - skills when serving the most yummie fish ever! We though decided to rent a car to be independed. One advise: Please print out directions if you're coming from the airport on your own!! I promise, you will get lost otherwise, as there are almost no street signs! ;)

So- yeah mon! Pon de Rock rocks!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelingSteff
Engelskirchen, Deutschland
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Pon der rock was the best guesthouse we´ve visited on our 3 week journey around the island.

It is a very nice and quiet place. If u r looking for huge all inclusive hotels, lot of tourists and nightlife, this is definitely not the right place for you!
PDR is a little bit away from the next village. I guess 2-3 km. But that´s the good thing. The three huts are build in the cliffs with a beautiful look over the ocean. The yard is sooo nice, a lot of jamaican species of plants, birds and so much more. I don´t know where to start and to end - U have to see and enjoy this place yourself!
All the houses have self catering unit's. In comparison with most of the guesthouses we have vistied, PDR is very clean. No cockroaches and other annoying insects, beside of moscitos and ants. All the units are built and furnished with a lot of love.

The owner Rosi, was very helpful and answered all our questions before we arrived there. I regret we couldn´t meet her personally. But her yardkeeper, Kevin, did also do a great job. It was nice to spend our time with him and he showed us a lot of beautiful places and gave us a small view into the way of jamaicans life.

On our next trip to the island, we´ll come back to pon de rock for sure. I hope it will not be fully booked then. ;)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bakkashan
Munich
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The owners of Pon de Rock are very nice and open-minded people. Treasure Beach is the perfect location for a peaceful vacation in the South of Jamaica. The houses that belong to Pon de Rock are furnished in the typical Jamaican style. They are self-catering units but there's also staff available like a chef or taxi driver on demand. I haven't asked them for their help because I rented a car and went grocery shopping myself. It's really cool to get your own cell phone from the Pon de Rock staff so that you can make sure you're available and can call others.
It is important though to either rent a car or hire a taxi because Pon de Rock isn't located in a very busy area. If you want to get around you need to spend some money on transport. Nightlife isn't big in that area either. It's very quiet and peaceful. I enjoyed it because I looked for that kind of vacation. Crazy party people might want to stay at a more busy place for a few days.
Watching the sea and the sky from one of the verandas at Pon de Rock is an amazing experience. The beach there is not crowded - mostly I was the only person there. Besides the facilities at the guesthouse its location is also very good for day trips like to Black River for example where you can go on a little cruise to see crocodiles. I really enjoyed it. The guy who did the pick-up and drop off service at the airport in Mo'Bay was really cool. He was sent from the guesthouse owners - I had to pay some extra money for the service. But it's normal in Jamaica to give a little money here and there. Even though I was pretty tired after the long flight I enjoyed the trip to Treasure Beach with some good laughs.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Lichtenstein, Germany
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Out of many one people - out of many places - Pon the Rock is the one to stay!
Just the perfect mixture of being involved with others and helped where necessary and wanted and having free space for yourself. Just the perfect place to admire Jamaicas nature. With Rosi's and Uli's support it was so easy to get to know this part of Jamaica without feeling being a stranger.

Don't miss those sunsets, don't miss this sea, don't miss Pon the Rock.

One Love
Ute

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We just returned from 10 days in Jamaica at Pon de Rock. If you are looking to stay out of the tourist traps and high rise hotel scene in Jamaica, if you want to immerse yourself in the culture and beauty of the island, this is the place for you. If you want noise, traffic, souvenir shops, all-inclusive hotels that you never have to leave, this is NOT the place for you!

Pon de Rock is a bit out of the way on the south coast in Treasure Beach, about 2.5 hrs from Montego Bay. It is quiet and the views of the coast are amazing. It is a 5 min walk to a beautiful little secluded beach where we saw 3 fisherman and a few kids there for a short period during our entire 10 day stay. We essentially had the whole place to ourselves.

The cottages are awesome, decorated with bright, creative island decor. We stayed in the Yellow House which has a separate kitchen which is a bit like a tiki bar with an open air window/bar that looks out over your deck. I would recommend this cottage if you want a bit more extra space for children or are staying for awhile, as it really feels like home. I traveled with my boyfriend and the space was just perfect for us - just enough to be in separate rooms for "quiet time" if someone was napping or reading.

The grounds at Pon de Rock are AMAZING! Beautiful plants and flowers everywhere from papaya trees to hibiscus, cactus and even a hot red chili plant that I picked for dinner every nite!

Last but certainly not least, was the caretaker/"go to" guy, Kevin. We were so fortunate to have stayed at Pon de Rock with Kevin as our caretaker. If you want to learn more about Jamaican culture or food, or even see other parts of the island without the harrowing experience of trying to navigate it yourself, this is a priceless amenity of Pon de Rock. Kevin cooked traditional island dishes for us at our request, made sure we had everything we needed every day and drove us to places as far away as Nine-Mile (3.5 hrs one way) to visit Bob Marley's birthplace/hometown. He is friendly and fun and told us so many things about Jamaica and the people that we would never have learned on our own in some hotel. The additional cost to have him do these things for you is so minimal, that there was no question that it was worth it.

Also, though we spent little time in Treasure Beach town, because we loved our place so much, the little town is a nice little fishing village where there are some shops and restaurants should you desire them. Jack Spratt's was as fun and good as reviews have stated. That was the only restaurant we visited (except roadside stands in our day travels), since I learned to cook some amazing local dishes with Kevin's help and advice. If you like cooking or learning new food culture, this is a great place. I came home totally inspired to change up some of my cooking!!

I can not recommend Pon de Rock highly enough. I have traveled to many countries and taken all types of vacations from beaches to snowboarding to large cities...and this beats them all! I have never come back from a vacation so rested and relaxed. I plan on bringing friends back next year with hopes of renting all the cottages at once and "living" in Jamaica for at least 10 days. (I would recommend staying as long as possible as you will have a travel day on each end due to the distance from MB, - or fly into Kingston; it's closer).

Take advantage of this hidden surprise in the south coast of Jamaica - you will not be disappointed!

For information on Pon de Rock and pictures of the area, check out this website:

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple