“Small town charm”

and 1 more site!
Treasure Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We stayed at the Treasure Beach Hotel in early February 2011. Our visit to Jamaica included time in Negril also, but if you want an experience that feels original and down-to-earth and so much less tourist-y, go to Treasure Beach. It's like being in a small town in the country. We absolutely loved it. The hotel arranged to have Pete pick us up at the airport and drive us across the interior of the island to TBH. There are 4 rooms to a cottage...2 up and 2 down. The rooms are very large. Not luxurious but simple and clean. I recommend asking for a room on the second floor so you can enjoy the view of the ocean from the porch. Swimming was limited becasue of the strong under-tow here but we had great fun in the waves close to shore. Often we were the only people on the beach. There's very little shade on the beach but we found small places selling cold drinks where we could sit and cool off. The hotel as 2 pools and, again, we often had them to ourselves. Maybe we just happened to come at a quiet time. But we loved it. We had no car and didn't miss it. We walked up and down the road from Smurfs to Jakes, eating at a different place for every meal. There's not much for entertainment but you get closer to people. The ladies walking home from church. The store keepers. The locals visiting at breakfast. And Melony at the front desk. She's wonderful! Go! See for yourself.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2011

I spent the third week in March at the Treasure Beach Hotel with my partner what can I say it was fantastic we loved every minute of it. It was like waking up in heaven every single day. We had an oceanview room with breakfast if you go ask for room 51 or 55 they have the most beautiful view of the sea, each night and morning we woke up to the sound of the sea glorious. The rooms are big spacious and airy. One of our bedstead post was almost broken in half and right side of the bed had slightly sunk but that did not change the way we felt about our stay. Breakfast was tasty too and you got a generous portion we had the Jamaican breakfast. We took the boat across to the Pelican bar that was fun. The boat guys are almost fighting for trade so dont pay more than $2500 JA. If you want to go out for a meal independent of the hotel you have to take a taxi into Black River again dont pay more than $500 JA. Everyone in St Elizabeth is so friendly and makes you feel welcome. I will be going back to Jamaica in September for my birthday and I will definitely be spending a week at the Treasure Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Just say a friend highly recommended the room.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmorais8868
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Just awesome beautiful beachside room that you can be lulled to sleep by the sound of lapping waves on the shore. An easy short walk to points of interest on the beach-Frenchman's Reef for dinner (had a delicious huge meal of coconut and curry King Fish with vegetables!) and entertainment, Jack Sprats, Jakes, plus where outboard motor boats docked there for trip to Pelican Bar on an offshore reef. Loved the people and service at the Hotel. It's kick back so expect island time to best receive services. But extra help was given quickly when it was discovered I had a flat on the car rental when I was getting ready to leave for Savanna La Mar in Westmoreland. Ted (Jenue) and Winston were on fixing the tire for me so I could quickly get on my way! Also Melanie, manager, was outstanding for any special requests. Mine was to go out dancing, so she had Ted accompany me. Everyone tourists and locals are all so friendly so having a great time is guaranteed for sure. I was allowed to cut some leaves and flowers to make floral arrangements for the lobby and desks. Love it! I will return and stay at least 5 days next time (July) to really get more of the "feel good you must relax here". Extensive landscaped grounds, two pool areas and walkways all kept neat and clean. There is food service at a designated time and breakfast included in your stay for more than 2 days. If you want low key, out of a busy rush of alot of tourists and constant activity, this is your place to really get away from it all and feel the warm sea breeze, get a wonderful tan and be with lovely people all around!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Yokut
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Antoniette & Brian' reviews:

Antoniette says:
"Im the mean one, or so he says"...If you like a quiet untouched beach then Treasure Beach is the one!! Really secluded and a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of the regular Tourist areas. The rooms are in need of some upgrades, especially the bathroom. Food alright (lunch and dinner not so good), I advice eating off site"Dutch-Pot" , otherwise the hospitality is great! I recommend visiting Treasure Beach.

Brian says:
"Well Im a little more 'compassionate' than my lady...She says sometimes Im a too compassionate lol
Well getting there was an adventure, but we were off the 'beaten path' so it was good to see the countryside [I never been to the southwest parishes [Clarendon, Manchester, St. Elisabeth's] Just like the rest of JA ...country is BEAUTIFUL!
Once we got to the hotel, nestled high of the cliff among the crashing waves - Spectacular!
Checked in and headed to the beach.....picturesque, a photographers creative haven. The beach was virtually empty the whole time we were there, which made it picturesque and a afeeling that it was all yours. Well the rooms needed some rehab done to it. [touch up paint, re-tiling in the bathroom] The bed was very comfortable [slept like a baby - rare for me] The food was well.....let me break it down, first the Yabbas restaurant catered a bit too much to the 'american' palette, although if yu ordered jamaican dishes you werent disappointed especially during breakfast [calalloo and salfish-yummy!].....pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers/cheeseburgers on the menu...I didnt come all the way to St Elisabeth Jamaica to nyam sum pizza! So we found a nice restaurant down the road called Dutch Pot - Good food, jerk, curried, rice and peas, brown stewed, the works! Reasonable portions at good prices.
Hospitality was superb! Like you were family! Overall I enjoyed our stay, very romantic, off the beaten path, not the norm of Negril, Mo'Bay, or Ochi."

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Masmuda67
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We have just returned from our perfect 2 week vacation in Treasure Beach Hotel.
We stayed in one of the top floor ocean view rooms which are large and airy with a perfect unobstructed view of the bright blue sea. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves crashing in one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in.
The bathrooms could do with a bit of updating but they are clean and functional with good water pressure and lovely fluffy towels.
The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and beautiful and both the pools were fantastic, cleaned every morning!
The staff here are truely wonderful, always greeting us by name with a smile and go out of their way to help out.
Breakfast was included in our rate and it was delicious. We usually had the Jamaican breakfast which consisted of acai and saltfish, callaloo, fried dumplings, plantain and green banana.
I can highly recommend this hotel and we will definately be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2010

My husband and I spent a week in Treasure Beach in February this year. Our first time there - but we'll definitely be going back. Treasure beach itself is a lovely location - the local community looks after visitors really well there, but tourism hasn't spoilt the local scene and community.

We wanted somewhere right on the beach - that was our No 1 criteria. So we stayed in two places before trying out the Treasure Beach Hotel (Golden Sands and Waikiki - both were disappointing in one way or another) .

We discovered that Treasure Beach Hotel was the best located place on the whole of Treasure Beach - right on the beach, with the rooms set back into the hill. So you could walk out from your room right down to the beach. It even had a decent poo. And the room was of a good standard - comfortable and clean.
The staff were really friendly as well.
And breakfast was included. Jamaican food lovers will be well catered for at breakfast as the Hotel offer Ackee and Saltfish as an alternative to Continental Breakfast.

It was really excellent value. Especially in comparison with the other options on the beach - and by the time we found Treasure Beach Hotel we had definitely scanned the whole local market (having stayed in two other places and visited about 6 options in all).

As there are no signs from the beach indicating the name of the hotel (the signs are on the road-side only) we had no idea that these attractive and discrete chalet-type structures set into the hill with direct access to the beach were the Tresure Beach hotel.

We were really surprised at, and confused by, some of the negative reviews we'd read of the Treasure Beach Hotel - which seemed to bear no resemblance to what the place is actually like!

When we go back to the Beach next time we will be heading straight there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I have visited Treasure Beach Hotel several times over the past couple of years and I have always returned because it is a welcome treat for those looking for peaceful, serenity , off the beaten tourist trap that one would experience on the North coast of Jamaica. When I decided to get married and plan a destination wedding, choosing Treasure Beach Hotel was a natural fit (although a hard sell for some family). The staff was simply superb and extremely accommodating of all the requests of a frazzled bride.

Property - The property is lush with flora and greenery and offered breathtaking views of the ocean and beach. While the beach is accessible, the area Treasure Beach is known for having a strong undertow, so exercise should be cautioned if you are not a strong swimmer. My guests loved the fact that they were able to get lost in the labyrinth of foot paths and walkways that were covered by tropical foliage. If you have the opportunity to visit the rooftop patio. It offers a simply beautiful view. On our first night, we enjoyed cocktails, a light ocean breeze and basked in the awe of a sky filled with millions of stars from the roof.

Rooms - The rooms were clean, well maintained. If you stay, I would highly recommend staying in one of the second floor ocean front rooms. It is well worth the additional price. As a frame of reference, we also stayed a couple of nights at the nearby Sandals. The Deluxe Ocean room at Treasure Beach was larger, offered a true unobstructed ocean view and a larger balcony. From a "value" perspective, there was definite value in what your getting!

Food - Great! Make sure you opt for the Jamaican breakfast. The owner has a mango farm, which resulted in a wonderful mango jam being served with breakfast. Up until this day, I have family still asking me how they get a hold of some of this homemade treat. All food is made to order, so if it takes a little longer have no worries it is well worth it.

Service - The staff was sweet and gracious! There were personable, hospitable and exuded a sincere desire to ensure that your stay was comfortable. The management had a visible presence. Unlike large scale hotels that offer inflexible destination weddings packages. Treasure Beach Hotel was receptive to ideas and suggestions on how to make the day special and adapt to my needs. We had the ceremony by the pool, when my husband and I took our pictures by the beach, our guests were served cocktails and appetizers. Our dinner was in the dining room and we danced on the rooftop (semi-covered) patio afterward. I was so happy that we were able to make use of all parts of property and the staff helped make that happen!

Overall - I will definitely be returning to Treasure Beach Hotel for vacation and hope to renew my vows there for my 5 year anniversary.

P.S. Little known fact - the area Treasure Beach is named after this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1 mi away
Marblue Villa Suites
Marblue Villa Suites
#2 of 5 in Treasure Beach

Been to Treasure Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!