“Relaxing Calm Place”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed April 27, 2007

Jakes is a wonderful place to relax and hangout at the pool and socialize with the locals. The staff at Jakes are very nice especially Ratti and Adina. Ratti will make you laugh and Adina will help you in your needs. Kevin our taxi driver is a must, he is one of kind jokester character. We loved our wedding at Jakes and the food there was great! Go to pelican bar and eat fish, check out Black River and YS Falls is a must!!!! Dont forget Appletton rum all you can drink rum. Kevin will take you to these places. We loved the quiet no big resort atmosphere and the interaction with the locals. Each room is nice and unique. We stayed in Octopussy room and loved it, its right on the beach!!!
Ya mon have a irie day!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 6, 2007

My wife and I have visited Jamaica off and on for the past 40 odd years. For the last 15 years we have gone to the North Coast, but that is becoming increasingly crowded and crime ridden. This year we tried something different, and we did not expect it to be SO different. Jakes is situated on the South coast, in the hottest and driest part of the island. You are picked up at Montego Bay airport and taken over the hills by a careful driver to Treasure Beach- a 2.5 hour drive. Jakes was designed and is run by an artistic family, the Hensells. There are simple buildings in all shades of colours distributed over the 50 acre site, right on the sea, on a rocky shore. The whole site is planted with all kinds of trees and flowering bushes; everything blends in to form an artistic whole. The restaurant is in the open, under a shade tree , right next to the pool. All the staff live in the town, and have roots there; they all seemed to be related. Guests mingled with each other and with the staff, and we had memorable conversations. The atmosphere was informal; the service was excellent; the meals were created by a well trained team of chefs, and the presentation was so exciting that I had to photo a plate a couple of times. Our 'room' was a concrete cabin with a patio on the sea side. The door , with its onion shape,and pattern of glass beads, looked vaguely arabic, and reminded me of Matisse; Sally Hensell said that her inspiration came from Gaudi. Unusally for Jamaica, we did not even have to lock the door of our cabin.
We paid US$150 per night , with the food, side trips by car and boat extra. We have already booked for 2008.

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank Tolstoi
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We spent seven nights at Jakes and it was the perfect place to chill. The setting was simply fantastic. The ambiant sound of the waves crashing on the rocks made for perfect sleeping and relaxation. The well placed lounge chairs ensured you had a perfect view throught the property. The food was surprising good with a changing menu. Even the coffee was excellent. The bar was second to none. Dougie always poured the perfect rum conconction. There were local drivers/guides around that were both kind and helpful, always willing to set up tours. Finally, the massage hut was one of the highlights. You walked away like jello. The one downside was the mosquittos. They were bad. I'd recommend bringing plenty of repellant as well as some candles or other methods of protection. All and all an amazing trip. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Davegins
Reviewed January 23, 2007

We spent 12 nights at Jakes for our Honeymoon, staying in Octopussy 3 and it will always have a special place in our hearts!
Jakes is quaint, quirky but utterly charming. This is the whole appeal, it doesn't look like a cloned big plastic resort hotel, there are no buffets and queuing up for meals as though you are back at school, there are no security guards and you are not fenced off from the local community, in fact the local community are an integral part of Jakes and help to make it what it is - funky, friendly and alive. Octopussy 3 was like our own fairytale castle facing right onto the sea. It was rustic yet beautiful, the outdoor shower and bath amazing, the rooftop lounge area perfect for after dark parties with rum cocktails brought over from Dougie's bar. The wildlife is amazing - gorgeous lizards, beautiful butterflies, pelicans flying by our home for the 12 days. I have never felt so relaxed, at home and thoroughly looked after on holiday in my life.

There was no "All-inclusive" type entertainment - fantastic! We made our own - we lay on our rooftop "daybed" gazing at the amazing starlit skies, we met other great couples, who we spent quite a few memorable evenings with drinking those rum cocktails, playing poker and monopoly and dancing to live music. O'Neill and Zibby (two of the locals and our regular drivers/sailors/cum tour guides) took us to the local bars and clubs to play pool and dance to reggae. We spent a fantastic 5 hours on a sandbank in the middle of the sea at the Pelican Bar (the longest anyone has ever stayed out there apparantly!) drinking red stripe and steel bottoms with the owner Floyd and his cousin, personally I can't think of a better way to spend an evening than sitting in the middle of the ocean in a wooden shack surrounded by great and interesting people and a black starlit sky. Little Ochie is a great night out, your driver will stop en route at roadside bars, then you can feast on lobster on the beach in a converted boat.
Jakes had a two-man band and a (bigger!) band play whilst we were there, there was also a bonfire and fish fry on the beach. Rum cocktails, view of the ocean, live reggae - heaven!

YS falls is stunning - arrive there for around 9am and you will have the place practically to yourselves. The rum factory tour is interesting and good fun, touristy, yes, but it was the only thing that was remotley touristy on our honeymoon, so we didn't mind so much. We also went to Negril for two days and a night, it's a four hour drive, but it was good to see more of Jamaica. We went to the Rockhouse for drinks and food, Rick's for the sunset - was a good experience but we were glad to get back to the funky tranquility of Jakes.

If you enjoy finding out about the local culture of a place, meeting and becoming friends with the locals, being charmed by the natural beauty of a place, staying in your own little fairytale castle and want an experience like no other visit Jakes and Treasure Beach - unique and wonderful places. In other words - if like us you truly love travelling and hate antiseptic, created entirely for tourist resorts I can't see that you could fail to love Jakes and Treasure beach.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Mokolino
Reviewed January 20, 2007

this was our 3rd trip to Jake's. We love it, we stay at one of the cottages on the sea that is about $300 per night, all of the cottages on the sea are similar but not excactly alike, we always stay at the same one because it's like our little vacation home. Don't really want to give the exact name because might be harder to reserve next time, but they are all really cool. We are in our late 40s. We love sleeping with the windows and doors open and the sound of the sea crashing on the rocks. Hadn't had any trouble with bugs our previous trips but this time we had a couple rainy days and had some bug and mosquito bites. Would take along some "off" and something to put on bites to keep them from itching in case you need it. The people here are fabulous, so very nice. Got to meet Sally and Jason, the owners, this time and they were so nice. Yvonne, the manager, always goes out of her way to give us the best treatment possible, she's great. Dougie @ the bar is the best bartender in the world, we love him. Jake's wouldn't be Jake's without him. Andy took us horseback riding and snorkeling, it was a blast, about an hours drive. Best "Jerk" is walking distance outside the gates, only on Friday and Sat. it's called "Delven's". Get you some. Andy also does bike and kayak tours, he's a great guy. If you want to go on a boat to Black River or "the pelican bar" ask for Joseph, another good guy who'll take care of you. Our driver to and from the airport was the nicest guy you'll ever meet, his name was Keven, he even took us to meet his beautiful family and had his mom share some recipe and instructions on cooking "Jerk" style. The drivers we've had in the past on the almost 3 hr drive from "Mo Bay" have not been as nice as Keven, ask for him to pick you up at Mo Bay. Went to "Shirley's Steam Bath and Massage", it was great, only wished we'd have done it the 2nd day we got there instead of waiting until the 5th and last day. The trip to Shirley's is a great experience that takes you to another world. Loved it. This trip we stayed 5 nights and our bill for food and drinks for my wife and myself was $1000, so that gives you an idea of cost. Loved the food at Jake's, very good. Pizzas at "jack sprats" are great too. We always took Dougie a couple slices, he enjoys Jack Sprat's pizza too. Bevin took good care of us at the restaurant, very nice guy, good waiter. Already looking forward to our next trip. Thanks to everyone at Jake's for being the best.

Myrtle Beach, SC

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RedRyderMyrtleBeach
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Jakes was so wonderful!!! It was an adventure to get there through the tropical seaside roads. We were literally washed in, It was just before Christmas and after dark. The rain was falling as our heroic driver - Nelson got us through some awful roads, roads that only the true Jamaica Driver could navigate.
We arrived just after dark and ran in the rain down a cobble stone sidewalk and came upon a red curtain, I opened the curtain and walked into what seemed like a Caribbean winter scene, Sally - the owner and designer, was just finishing off the last touches on her "funky Caribbean Christmas tree" a tree with just bare branches and lovely tangerine colored flowers. So festive and elegant. Our bags were whisked off and we were escorted with umbrellas to our new home. Arriving after dark is always a mystery, I could hear the rain falling and the sea splashing against the rocky coast and was so excited to see the bungalow which I had only dreamed about. We walked in to a pink and purple fairytale room, the bed fit for a Caribbean princess, with a unique purple stone and colored bottles placed as accents on the head board. The dark wooden shutters on French doors and windows were closed to keep the rain out. We sat in our room and wondered where are we? We could here the roar of the sea hitting the rocks just beyond the French doors, we opened the doors!! It was a bit scary, the unknown, the vast sea right at our door step, just less than 10 feet from the foot of the bed. It was dark and all we could see was the white water splashing against the rocks and up on our patio. It was amazing!! We were a bit hungry and head out to Jake Sprats for a wonderful dinner of fresh lobster and a red stripe beer. What a perfect start!! The next morning we awoke to the sounds of birds outside and the romantic rhythm of the Caribbean sea as it splashed against the shore. This was the moment we were waiting for! The sun was rising and we flung open the dark wooden doors to see a sight you only see on Corona commercials, two lounge chairs sitting there awaiting, the vast sea in front of us, just feet from the end of our bed. It was like we died and went to Jamaican heaven!!! Then there was the outdoor shower. The most unique experience ever!! The shower was just off the room, designed with Sally's artistic touches of conch shells and colored bottles, It was open to the sky above and just high enough on the Caribbean side to hide your private parts from passing kayakers and fishermen. I had to try it first, it was like going skinny dipping, I felt a bit silly at first but as the water streamed down my face and the warm Caribbean breeze brushed my body, I felt at peace with all of Jamaica mon!! The roof top sundeck was hot and steamy and we would sit up there in the evening to watch the beautiful sunsets. We felt so welcomed and comfortable there. It was more than I could have imagined. Thanks to Yvonne the resident manager for being so wonderful!
The perfect romantic hideaway in a part of Jamaica that is untouched by tourists!!! -
Sue and Dave - Chaska, MN
sue@suestravel.org

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank suestravel.org
Reviewed October 31, 2006

My wife and I spent a few days at Jake's in April of 2003. That vacation has become the standard by which we judge all other vacations. We've since travelled quite a lot around the Caribbean but have not yet found anything else that was quite as satisfying and peaceful as Jake's.

This place is not for everyone, I should say that. The principle activities involves sitting by the pool sipping rum punch in between leisurly strolls to the beach. If you're looking for loud, all night parties, this is not the place. It's very remote for one thing - it feels like you're in a rural area for sure. The nearest "city" is about 15 minutes in a very bumpy car ride. Don't expect a wide variety of places. But, for me, I'd rather have two authentic places than 15 mediocre tourist traps. I had no desire to leave while we were there.

While it is rustic, it isn't *too* rustic, if you know what I mean. We don't like big resorts, but at the same time we also like clean toilets and sanitary conditions. My wife and I are not the outdoors types. But, we didn't have to worry about that type of stuff - Jake's is upscale in it's rustic way.

I'm not sure if this was an "official" part of Jake's but there were a couple of gentleman on premise who provided, shall we say, private consierge services. If you want to swim with dolphins, go to a party, ride into town, go fishing, obtain certain things, etc, one of them will gladly hook it up and even spend the day with you as your guide. My first thought was that this is just another guy who wants our money to provide some service we don't need. But, I got to talking with him over a day or so and I decided, what the heck, to take him up on an offer to go out one evening. It was like having a the most popular guy in town showing me around, introducing me to all his friends. Hustlers wouldn't even bother looking at me and here I am a tall goofy, lanky white guy (though ruggedly handsome in my own way of course) hanging out late at locals-only jamaican bars. It was no problem. I got the friend treatment from everyone we met - that includes always paying a fair price and never getting any attitude from anyone. My advice is to take full advantage of that service if they're available and give a generous tip.

In a nutshell, I can't say enough good things about the place. We try not to repeat ourselves on vacations, but my wife and I have agreed that we'll be back here again one day.

• Stayed: April 2003, traveled as a couple
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#24 of 63 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Travellers Beach Resort

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!