“paradise”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed January 20, 2007

this was our 3rd trip to Jake's. We love it, we stay at one of the cottages on the sea that is about $300 per night, all of the cottages on the sea are similar but not excactly alike, we always stay at the same one because it's like our little vacation home. Don't really want to give the exact name because might be harder to reserve next time, but they are all really cool. We are in our late 40s. We love sleeping with the windows and doors open and the sound of the sea crashing on the rocks. Hadn't had any trouble with bugs our previous trips but this time we had a couple rainy days and had some bug and mosquito bites. Would take along some "off" and something to put on bites to keep them from itching in case you need it. The people here are fabulous, so very nice. Got to meet Sally and Jason, the owners, this time and they were so nice. Yvonne, the manager, always goes out of her way to give us the best treatment possible, she's great. Dougie @ the bar is the best bartender in the world, we love him. Jake's wouldn't be Jake's without him. Andy took us horseback riding and snorkeling, it was a blast, about an hours drive. Best "Jerk" is walking distance outside the gates, only on Friday and Sat. it's called "Delven's". Get you some. Andy also does bike and kayak tours, he's a great guy. If you want to go on a boat to Black River or "the pelican bar" ask for Joseph, another good guy who'll take care of you. Our driver to and from the airport was the nicest guy you'll ever meet, his name was Keven, he even took us to meet his beautiful family and had his mom share some recipe and instructions on cooking "Jerk" style. The drivers we've had in the past on the almost 3 hr drive from "Mo Bay" have not been as nice as Keven, ask for him to pick you up at Mo Bay. Went to "Shirley's Steam Bath and Massage", it was great, only wished we'd have done it the 2nd day we got there instead of waiting until the 5th and last day. The trip to Shirley's is a great experience that takes you to another world. Loved it. This trip we stayed 5 nights and our bill for food and drinks for my wife and myself was $1000, so that gives you an idea of cost. Loved the food at Jake's, very good. Pizzas at "jack sprats" are great too. We always took Dougie a couple slices, he enjoys Jack Sprat's pizza too. Bevin took good care of us at the restaurant, very nice guy, good waiter. Already looking forward to our next trip. Thanks to everyone at Jake's for being the best.

Myrtle Beach, SC

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RedRyderMyrtleBeach

Reviewed January 3, 2007

Jakes was so wonderful!!! It was an adventure to get there through the tropical seaside roads. We were literally washed in, It was just before Christmas and after dark. The rain was falling as our heroic driver - Nelson got us through some awful roads, roads that only the true Jamaica Driver could navigate.
We arrived just after dark and ran in the rain down a cobble stone sidewalk and came upon a red curtain, I opened the curtain and walked into what seemed like a Caribbean winter scene, Sally - the owner and designer, was just finishing off the last touches on her "funky Caribbean Christmas tree" a tree with just bare branches and lovely tangerine colored flowers. So festive and elegant. Our bags were whisked off and we were escorted with umbrellas to our new home. Arriving after dark is always a mystery, I could hear the rain falling and the sea splashing against the rocky coast and was so excited to see the bungalow which I had only dreamed about. We walked in to a pink and purple fairytale room, the bed fit for a Caribbean princess, with a unique purple stone and colored bottles placed as accents on the head board. The dark wooden shutters on French doors and windows were closed to keep the rain out. We sat in our room and wondered where are we? We could here the roar of the sea hitting the rocks just beyond the French doors, we opened the doors!! It was a bit scary, the unknown, the vast sea right at our door step, just less than 10 feet from the foot of the bed. It was dark and all we could see was the white water splashing against the rocks and up on our patio. It was amazing!! We were a bit hungry and head out to Jake Sprats for a wonderful dinner of fresh lobster and a red stripe beer. What a perfect start!! The next morning we awoke to the sounds of birds outside and the romantic rhythm of the Caribbean sea as it splashed against the shore. This was the moment we were waiting for! The sun was rising and we flung open the dark wooden doors to see a sight you only see on Corona commercials, two lounge chairs sitting there awaiting, the vast sea in front of us, just feet from the end of our bed. It was like we died and went to Jamaican heaven!!! Then there was the outdoor shower. The most unique experience ever!! The shower was just off the room, designed with Sally's artistic touches of conch shells and colored bottles, It was open to the sky above and just high enough on the Caribbean side to hide your private parts from passing kayakers and fishermen. I had to try it first, it was like going skinny dipping, I felt a bit silly at first but as the water streamed down my face and the warm Caribbean breeze brushed my body, I felt at peace with all of Jamaica mon!! The roof top sundeck was hot and steamy and we would sit up there in the evening to watch the beautiful sunsets. We felt so welcomed and comfortable there. It was more than I could have imagined. Thanks to Yvonne the resident manager for being so wonderful!
The perfect romantic hideaway in a part of Jamaica that is untouched by tourists!!! -
Sue and Dave - Chaska, MN
sue@suestravel.org

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank suestravel.org
Reviewed October 31, 2006

My wife and I spent a few days at Jake's in April of 2003. That vacation has become the standard by which we judge all other vacations. We've since travelled quite a lot around the Caribbean but have not yet found anything else that was quite as satisfying and peaceful as Jake's.

This place is not for everyone, I should say that. The principle activities involves sitting by the pool sipping rum punch in between leisurly strolls to the beach. If you're looking for loud, all night parties, this is not the place. It's very remote for one thing - it feels like you're in a rural area for sure. The nearest "city" is about 15 minutes in a very bumpy car ride. Don't expect a wide variety of places. But, for me, I'd rather have two authentic places than 15 mediocre tourist traps. I had no desire to leave while we were there.

While it is rustic, it isn't *too* rustic, if you know what I mean. We don't like big resorts, but at the same time we also like clean toilets and sanitary conditions. My wife and I are not the outdoors types. But, we didn't have to worry about that type of stuff - Jake's is upscale in it's rustic way.

I'm not sure if this was an "official" part of Jake's but there were a couple of gentleman on premise who provided, shall we say, private consierge services. If you want to swim with dolphins, go to a party, ride into town, go fishing, obtain certain things, etc, one of them will gladly hook it up and even spend the day with you as your guide. My first thought was that this is just another guy who wants our money to provide some service we don't need. But, I got to talking with him over a day or so and I decided, what the heck, to take him up on an offer to go out one evening. It was like having a the most popular guy in town showing me around, introducing me to all his friends. Hustlers wouldn't even bother looking at me and here I am a tall goofy, lanky white guy (though ruggedly handsome in my own way of course) hanging out late at locals-only jamaican bars. It was no problem. I got the friend treatment from everyone we met - that includes always paying a fair price and never getting any attitude from anyone. My advice is to take full advantage of that service if they're available and give a generous tip.

In a nutshell, I can't say enough good things about the place. We try not to repeat ourselves on vacations, but my wife and I have agreed that we'll be back here again one day.

• Stayed: April 2003, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ling_and_Jason
Reviewed October 16, 2006

Jake's is many places described as a chic place to stay. That may be true, but there are definately scratches in the varnish:

Our room was extremely hot (flat concrete roof/no aircon) which forced us to leave all shutters open for a bit of a breeze. The inefficient mosquito net over the bed was not enough to keep the hundreds of mosquitos to bite throughout the entire night.

The irie decor definately needs a touch-up as it is starting to look run-down.

The service was a bit too "irie". The waiters seemed to be uninterested in their work. It was as if they were irritated if the orders were not delivered promptly.

The food was average for Jamaica. One would expect a little more variety especially in seafood. The lobster was great.

The bar served the best Pina Colada we ever had!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
13  Thank LH69
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Before I went I read the reviews and couldn't really understand how some people really loved this placed and others really disliked it. Now I've been, I understand.
I loved it and will certainly stay again. Treasure Beach is my kind of place, quiet, peaceful, friendly and a little rough round the edges. Jakes fits in perfectly here.
I had a look at a couple of the rooms. They're all different, some are more luxury than the others, but generally i thought they were all very pretty with varying degrees of comfort. I stayed in Abalone1 which had a lovely verandah overlooking the sea. I was grateful for the air con if nothing else to help keep those pesky mossies at bay. And boy there were plenty of those. Use LOADS of repellent all the time, they were even hungry during the day. I did comment to the hotel that for the price of the room they should probably replace some of the mosquito nets, but we bought a roll of sticky tape and blocked up the gaps and hey presto - no more bites over night.
The gardens are beautiful. Dougie's bar is friendly and well stocked but, like everywhere I went in Jamaica, wine is excrutiatingly expensive. The food was excellent (mmmm banana pancakes) and of course you can always stroll down to Jack Sprats for a change of scene. The service is really good, there's always loads of people. If I had a complaint it would be about being charged for my 2nd cup of coffee (bit of a rip off). I liked the small but ever-changing menu. The chef is interested, and came to talk to us about his cooking, and gave us some tasters.
The salt water pool is cool and shady. It's small but the sea is about a foot away so who cares. There's a few sun loungers dotted around the place. It was quiet while I was there so it was always peaceful by the pool, but I'm guessing it would get full if the hotel was fully booked.
Generally it's very relaxing, very chilled and has a rather special atmosphere. Probably not for everyone. It really isnt a luxury resort (although the prices might make you think it is). I loved it!
Yes there are lizards everywhere, but I'd rather have them then not, they eat the mossies!
Oh and check out Shirley's place. What a fantastic, interesting and full of life woman she is. It's not "by the book" massage, but she's good and I felt great after an hour and a half sweating it out in her hut.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank JMuk
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We immensely enjoyed our stay at Jakes from July 1-4, 2006. I've been reading some of the negative reviews, and it seems they were only negative because the poster did no research, and thus were not prepared for this type of hotel experience. I'm not able to rate the hotel as excellent, only because it is not a luxury type resort, however, our experience was exactly that. A wonderful, perfect, not-think-about-anything-at-all, laid back experience.

We picked up an Air Jamaica package with transfers included. Although the price was right, I would recommend paying a bit more and hiring a driver directly from Jakes. Air Jamaica uses JTL tours, and the drivers are "you get what they got at the time". Which was not to say the drivers were not very friendly and knowledgeable, the transportation itself on the way to Jakes was less than desireable; an old Toyota mini-van with no shocks and insulation and a 60 mph ride through the mountains for two hours. Which we expected, but not at such speeds and with such an old taxi. The ride back was different as we were picked up in a new Toyota Camry. This ride is not for the faint of heart, so beware. Most of the roads sustained damage during Hurricane Ivan and have not been fixed, so there are many, many potholes and not a whole lot of room to avoid them; very narrow roads, and people walking all over; makes one a bit nervous when a tractor-trailer is coming your way on the other side of the road and the roads are very narrow.

When we arrived at Jakes and checked in, we were immediately impressed by the wonderful staff. I expected to have to put a depost on incidentals as is usual, but not here; we were greeted by name and immediately shown to our cottage, Cockles, the downstairs unit. We had originally reserved a garden view room for $95 per night, and then upgraded to an ocean view deluxe one-bedroom for $195.00. I am so very glad that we did this; when we arrived at the cottage through a meandering, beautiful walkway and entered our cottage, the french-style doors were thrown wide open onto a small tiled terrace with Adirondack chairs, and then a nice-sized wooden deck with loungers, and right off of the deck was the Caribbean Sea. Just a spectacular view! It was very windy the entire stay, thus, the ocean was more silver grey than Blue, but the waves crashing up and spraying on the rocks was just great to watch; almost hypnotizing if you sat there long enough. The sound from the ocean was loud enough that we had no idea that there were guests upstairs until we happened to see them one day.

I have to be honest and say that the room itself was very small, probably no more than 150 square feet; however, it was just perfect for two if you weren't entertaining, which we were not. The floor was dark plank flooring, the queen sized bed was very comfortable and there was mosquito netting. When I made the reservation I had specifically requested air conditioning which worked like a charm. I don't do well with sleeping in warm temperatures, or mosquitos, based upon the other reviews I'd read. Well, the ocean breeze was enough to keep the skeeters away, and my husband was so comfortable that the first night he slept right on the deck. However, if you go out after dusk, be sure to spray up as there are also some nasty no-see-ums that will eat you.
The bathroom was inside the cottage, with a big ol' terracotta tub with tiled walls, small sink and small window, and, of course, a toilet. The door to the bath, which was not a door but rather a folding door, never did stay shut, and the lighting was poor, with one bulb being out. But, seeing as this vacation I wore not a stitch of makeup, no problem, mon! I guess I would say that the cottage was more luxury camping than resort hotel, which was fine, as I had read that, and we have camped many times before. But as the reviews say; if you want Sandals, go to Sandals. Because of the drought conditions on this side of the island, the water would at times trickle, and at other times be non-existent. One quick call to the front desk on our cell (which, by the way works there) and the situation was remedied.

I had read that if you took a quick walk down the road to the small grocery store, there was a local that cooked some mean jerk, so off we went, starving. Oh, Yum!! Not a restaurant, but as is the real Jamaica, just a stand with a grill. The gentleman that did the grilling looked to be almost angry when we requested some jerk chicken and pork, however, once we said that the food was fabulous, his face lit up like an angel and he "Thanked us, Mon" several times. We were only once approached by a homeless woman, who was also in a very good mood, and never felt in the least bit threatened in any way, as you so often hear. I believe that the problems do lie outside of the big cities. Most of the people on this side are farmers and just as nice as can be. However, if you do venture out after dark, I would take the necessary precautions as one would do anywhere.

We walked back to Jakes, and even though our appetite was diminished somewhat by the jerk, we sat down at the outside dining area and ordered dinner. I honestly can't remember what we had, but each morning and evening, with the exception of one day, we ate at Jakes. The food was fresh, fabulous, local Jamaican cooking at what I would consider reasonable prices. The staff was wonderful. The Tiki Bar was terrific and the drinks had plenty of nice Jamaican Rum in them. Red Stripes were abundant. Another night we walked down to Jack Sprats and had a fabulous pizza.

While walking back to our room, be aware that there are no overhead lights, which makes the whole place look like a little fairy-land, as the low-level sidewalk lighting adds to the atmosphere. Carry a small flashlight.

Unfortunately, I ended up with a horrible sunburn, even with using a 50 sunscreen and only being out for 20 minutes. I'm on heart meds, and even that short time out did me in, so beware. You don't even know you're getting burned until the next day.

This vacation was just what we needed; we read and did absolutely nothing besides have dinner and drinks at 5 pm each day. We meet some wonderful people during our cocktail hours and had great conversation.

I would highly recommend Jakes for exactly this kind of vacation.

• Stayed: July 2006
21  Thank englishharbours
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed at Jake's for 3 wonderfully relaxing days and nights in Seahorses Up/Down. Jake's isn't for everyone, but we loved it. Quiet and peaceful. You can't help but slow your pace there. We had just spent 6 days in Montego Bay, so our pace went from 90 to 20 in a hurry. The rooms were very comfortable. There is no air conditioning, but there are ceiling fans. We opened the windows and shutters and enjoyed the ocean breeze. Seahorses Down has a front porch swing and lounge chairs on the back patio. Seahorses Up has a half bed, chairs and table, and hammock on the front porch. The showers and hugh bathtubs were perfect. The flowers in the rooms and on the beds each day were lovely touches. The beds were comfortable. The mosquito nets are not simply there for decoration. Use them! We've come to Jamaica for the past 7 years and know that you must pack mosquito spray. Avon Skin-so-Soft works best.

Yes there were lots of lizards. And to be honest I am not a fan of lizards, but it didn't take me long to realize that they weren't interested in me. They were doing what lizards do; catch insects. The frogs come out at night and take up where the lizards leave off. No big deal, they are courteous and let you pass. Everything is so natural at Jakes, which makes it such a charming place. There are walkways through out. No tv or telephone in the rooms, but a great portable stereo. There is a lounge where you can watch tv if you like. We did watch the NBA finals one night.

We loved the beach. Solitude. We found WHOLE seashells. Unlike the other beaches we've visited in Jamaica, this one has brown and black sand. There's a beautiful old tree at the water's edge that makes for a great photograph.

The food was really good. We tried most everything. It was wonderful having breakfast outside each morning .

Great staff. Janet, Colleen, Bevon and Roger took really good care of us while we were there. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating.

We took our time and read everything we could find written about Jakes before making our decision to visit. We were not disappointed at all. Would we visit again? Yes indeed.

• Stayed: June 2006
Sunset Resort & Villas
Sunset Resort & Villas
#4 of 5 in Treasure Beach
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!